Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

time to get serious?

(5 Posts)
Klara Fri 10-Jun-05 14:08:51

hi there

I'm hoping for some advice. My son is now 26 months and is quite good at sitting on his potty and often pees for me there, although never anything else.

My dh is quite anxious that we get him dry during the day, and i'm not sure whether he's ready. To be honest its as much me as i'm a bit anxious about 50 zillion changes of clothes a day as he wets himself.

When you so make the jump - how do you do it. Do you just decide one day not to use a nappy and let them have an accident, or do you wait till the nappies are always dry?

klara

Gwenick Fri 10-Jun-05 14:10:36

26 months is quite early, especially for boys. "Most" boys I know were closer to 2 1/2yrs (some almost 3) before they succesfully potty trained. Does he tell you he needs to wee, or point?

Lonelymum Fri 10-Jun-05 14:11:45

Well I just decided today is the day and took the nappy off but it can be very tiresome for a while as the child gets the hang of it. But if your ds is already weeing in the potty he is halfway there isn't he?

Magscat Fri 10-Jun-05 14:18:56

Hi. I didn't wait for dry nappies, but I think I was pretty sure from talking to DS that he understood what to do. Ds was day-dry about 27 months.
He really liked standing up to pee in the pot (with either parent holding the pot up to his willy) and I think he only sat on it to poo.

He chose the potty himself (99p Morrisons) and it had a sticker of a monkey's face on the front so it was forevor know as Monkey Potty. I even had to buy one for him to have at nursery because he was so attached to it he refused to use theirs.

I don't remember him using it for poos very much - we got one of these for him to use in the bathroom. Was a bit bulky tbh but he seemed to like the fact that it was 'his' and we still use the toilet seat bit over our normal loo seat now he's nearly 4.

Btw, he didn't get night dry till abuot a year later - I just told him I'd run out of nappies one night cos I was sure he was just being lazy. He was dry from then on.

Klara Fri 10-Jun-05 15:02:59

Thanks. It's a bit annoying, because about 3 months ago he was asking to go to the potty and was happy to sit on the big loo with me holding him - now he won't do that and the seat you fit over the potty he hates as well. If you ask him if he needs a pee he will tell you, but if he poos in his nappy and you ask him " have you done a poo" he always fibs and says no - even when you can clearly smell it

Might try taking the nappy off tomorrow. Alternatively we are going on holiday in a week and might try it while away - he can run round the garden at our holiday place and if he gets wet it will be no big deal.

thanks for tha advice

klara

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: