Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Brands of reusable nappies to try for newborn

(23 Posts)
TXB Fri 02-Oct-09 14:52:37

Hi,
We are about to have our first child and have decided to use re-usable nappies. I have researched various types of nappies and am quite confused and I wonder which brands and types are the preferred ones.

I have bought 5 Itti's in a mixture of small & medium and would like to buy a few other brands to try. The main thing I'm looking for is comfort and minimal leakage. I have read for newborns it's best to get the slimline ones and then graduate onto the bulkier ones as they get bigger. Can anyone recommend brands and types I could trial and how many I would need initially prior to buying a heap of the preferred brand. Also, I'd be interested to know the preferred night time nappies that experienced mums like - ie, is it best to get the bulkier ones for night for absobency?

One more question is the storage of dirty nappies, some say dry, some say wet. What is the best way to store them?

Thanks in advance. smile

Octothechildherder Fri 02-Oct-09 14:58:02

I would suggest seeing a nappy advisor - go onto the Go Real website and find out who is closest and get a full demo - they may also run trial kits aswell so can try before you buy. Also check if your council gives cashback.

I store mine in an XL monkey foot wet bag as I don't feel the need to soak them but just use a teaspoon of sanitiser in my machine.

I love two parter nappies as I think they are more reliable for containment esp on a newborn than any other deisgn.

HTH

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 15:12:51

octo is right
see a nappy adviser (or try the questionnaire on TheNappyLady if you can't see one IRL) who will help you fnd the best type for your situation.
And have a go with whatever you can borrow / get free / cheap / secondhand

two-parters (bimbles + motherease wraps) have been a winner here

if you get sized nappies you don't need to worry about slimline-ness - the right size will be the right size.

and remember that 'bulky' does not neccesarily mean 'more absorbent' as it depends on the material - some (eg Fluffles) are hugely bulky but soak up no more wee than a hemp one half the size.

I 'dry pail' ie store them dry like Octo, but I have a basic bucket not a posho bag wink

somewhathorrified Fri 02-Oct-09 16:09:56

I'm in the same postion as you. I'm going with muslins, dipsoable liners, nappy fastener and wraps for the first few weeks...er...or days depending on size on arrival. I heard that muslins should be fine for a newborn and when they get stained from newborn baby poo you don't feel so bad at renegating them to the rag bag. They are cheap and thin so dry fast. Also got some cheap flannels that I'm going to use as extra absorbant bit if needed. No idea what to expect tbh but figure that last thing I want is for those first poos to destroy nice fluffy BTP's.

Octothechildherder Fri 02-Oct-09 16:28:53

Excellent idea - I have some eenee snibs wich are good too to go over muslins - they are tie on so suit small babies up to 9lbs lovely.

I need to tempt MrsBadger into a MF wet bag!

TXB Fri 02-Oct-09 17:07:55

I also bought some muslins for the first few days... weeks???? What are the flannels - are they nappies or just sheets of flannel which might be more absorbent? How do you fasten them - just with the large safety pins?

I hadn't heard of eenees and have just looked them up - they look really good. What is the best style to get for over muslins?

I've had a look at the Go Real w/site. Looks good so I will do some further research on there and ask them some questions.

My area does the nappy cash back thing, does it matter where I buy the nappies from or do I have to buy them from approved stockists?

purplesal Fri 02-Oct-09 17:35:24

Cashback - you'll need to check the tersm of your councils scheme - they are all differemt!

I second drypailing in a mesh bag inside a bucket.

I hire out teeny tiny newborn nappies - that's an option as well to get some teeny tiny nappies until your baby is big enough to fit into whichever nappies you choose. Most people seem to use them for between 2 and 6 weeks.

Octothechildherder Fri 02-Oct-09 17:38:24

I would use the tie on snibs rather than the pouch pants as the snibs will tie nicely around the muslin - fasten it with a nappi nippa. The pouch pants aren't great in my experience with newborn poo.

somewhathorrified Sat 03-Oct-09 09:27:04

The flannels are face cloths! I was just going to use them like an unatttatched sanitary towel (folded into 3rds)...it may work it may not, I like the idea of seperate wraps becuase you never know when you may get a bad day and have no nappies and you need to improvise.

Reallytired Sun 04-Oct-09 17:26:31

Newborn nappies do not fit for long and it will not be long before your baby fits something like a motherease one size.

When my dd was a newborn we used diddy diapers with a motherease or nature babies wraps. The diddy diapers were good for containment but my daughter out grew them by 4 months.

In the first couple of weeks you need a lot of nappies as newborns go through about 10 a day. Pad fold muslim squares with a high quality wrap are surprisingly good for containment. I suggest that you buy some muslim squares to supplement your collection when you run out of nappies. The stage when they need 10 to 12 nappies a day only lasts about 6 weeks, then they settle down to about 6 to 8 nappies a day.

I also recommend that you get some fleece and cut it up to make liners and wipes. Paper liners are useless with breastfed poo.

Octothechildherder Sun 04-Oct-09 22:04:33

lol really tired - muslin not muslim!

swampster Sun 04-Oct-09 22:27:29

XS Motherease Sandy's are lovely for wee babies and you can often find them on the secondhand boards for about £2.50 each. Then when you are done, you can sell them on for the same price - bargainacious!

Octothechildherder Sun 04-Oct-09 22:59:21

yes they are very lovely - very cute

Reallytired Mon 05-Oct-09 09:41:59

lol... my dd and son have both been up in the night. I can't type. I now have visions of someone wrapping a baby in a hijab!

ziggyf Mon 05-Oct-09 09:45:54

I used muslins with a ME wrap for the first few weeks before my nappy obsession took over! This time round (shock) we'll be using bimbles with a wrap or possibly swaddlebees as the tiny ones are so gorgeous, with muslins as a back up for if we run out. We did try normal terries with a wrap when DS was little but they were far too bulky - I couldn't lie him flat in the moses basket lol!

Ooh, tiny babies in cloth are so gorgeous grin

Z x

Octothechildherder Mon 05-Oct-09 10:01:22

Hello Ziggy - how are things going?

somewhathorrified Mon 05-Oct-09 11:23:58

Oooh, why are paper liners no use with breastfed poo? Does it go straight through them? I'd planned on using these liners because peeps said that newborn poo was a tad stubborn to remove.

Octothechildherder Mon 05-Oct-09 12:57:28

If it is very explosive hmm it can kind of rebound and spread everywhere rather than soak in lol

Reallytired Mon 05-Oct-09 13:02:52

Breastfed poo is 99% liquid, paper liners will not catch it.

Fleece liners are much better for keeping the baby's bottom dry and reducing nappy rash.

Breastfed poo isn't as bad as normal poo. You will be able to put the all lot of nappies and liners in the washing machine.

somewhathorrified Mon 05-Oct-09 13:57:01

Ah, sounds reasonable. Just one last stupid question...I have some fleece in my sewing box, left over from a throw I used to make a cat bed...do you think it would work to cut this up and use it for liners, or is it a different type of fleece?

Octothechildherder Mon 05-Oct-09 14:36:34

Yes - just cut it up into rectangles.

somewhathorrified Mon 05-Oct-09 15:08:01

great, thanks alot

mumblecrumble Mon 05-Oct-09 22:00:00

Hello! Congratulation to you both - how excitine!

Just to let you know what we have used from newborn to now [Aged 2]

Terry squares - very easy to fold and can be used birth to potty, mega easy to wash and dry and very very cheap! ALso we have very few leaks and they always fit.

Mother ease and nature baby wraps. Prefer poppers but velcro good for smaller babies

'Boosters' - cheep flannels work really well. I got loads of white flannels and use an extra 1 or 2 at night. Rarely leak. Also foldeed up muslims work well.

We tried paper liners -rewashed the wet ones and flushed the poohy ones untill one blocked our washer....

Bits of old T shirts used as washable wipes.

Method:

I have 3 buckets with lids, 2 in her room lined with pretty pillow cases for 'dry paling' wet nappies, 1 bucket in bathroom for wet paling dirty nappies.

Wash about 2 or 3 times a week. Pillow cases jsut go straight in the wash with nappies all bundled up in them. I;ve used all sorts of soaps depending on budget/offers etc incluing soap nuts that work well. Use a scoop of soda crystals as these are mega cheap and make your soap go further.

I store the nappies in a pillow case [matching the others] tied to her cot. The wraps and boosters go ina drawer.

Terries are much better than their reputation. And talk about cheap!!!

And mine are very pretty and purple....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now