Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Recession and bin strike = return to washables advice please...

(19 Posts)
nigglewiggle Thu 01-Oct-09 20:05:56

DD1 suffered terribly with nappy rash so the Motherease went to the back of a drawer 3 years ago. What with the recession and 4 weeks of no rubbish collection I've been given the kick up the bum I needed and DD2 is now sporting said nappies.

Just a bit of advice from the experts please -

I fancy the idea of a bag to store the dirty nappies. I've been reading about Monkey Foot. Are they really good? What size? Where is the best place to buy?

I need a couple more wraps. Should I stick with Motherease, or are there better ones available now?

Any other advice welcome too!

nigglewiggle Thu 01-Oct-09 21:21:37

Anyone?

mumface Thu 01-Oct-09 21:41:36

The best selection of MF wetbags is at www.nappywardrobe.co.uk You will need an XL if using instead of a bucket. It holds about 8 nappies. ME wraps are IMO some of the most reliable wraps around, although a little boring. You could always have a Wee notions one for best. Are you using a liner? Fleece ones would give baby a nice stay dry layer.

mumface Thu 01-Oct-09 21:45:16

Oh & don't forget to use code MNOCTO for Mumsnetters 10% off!

nigglewiggle Thu 01-Oct-09 21:50:11

That's great thanks. Didn't know about the 10% discount grin.

Don't mind them being boring - they're under clothes afterall. I'm using flushable liners - I don't know anything about fleece liners?

mumface Thu 01-Oct-09 22:11:06

You can get 10 Bambinex fleece liners for £4 there. They allow moisture through but stay dry to touch. Better at preventing nappy rash especially at night time & you will save money not buying flushable ones. Just a thought smile

nigglewiggle Thu 01-Oct-09 22:17:44

Was using disposables at night, but will give these a go. Thanks.

LittlePants Fri 02-Oct-09 07:45:05

My team have found the best wras are Nature Babies wraps. they are funky, but also have an extremely efficient leak guard gusset, which most wraps don't have. They are also a good price, starting at £5.39 for a birth to potty size wrap

Babybots Fri 02-Oct-09 08:43:34

Motherease wraps are great and among the best, but i agree with Littlepants Naturebabies wraps are great although dont go for the essentials wrap if dd2 is small! Its a meduim-large wrap so might swamp her.

The Classic wraps are fab! Or you could try fleece which will allow airflow, if your worried about rash this may help!

nigglewiggle Fri 02-Oct-09 09:07:31

I think I'll get some Motherease as I know the size I need and it's good to know they're still one of the best. I'll order from Nappy Wardrobe and get a Monkeyfoot bag, but unfortunately the fleece liners are out of stock.

Thanks for all the info.

caughtintheact Fri 02-Oct-09 09:21:26

you can make your own fleece liners if you have any old fleece eg blankets that you don't need, just cut into rectangles.

bumpybecky Fri 02-Oct-09 09:23:00

don't buy fleece liners - make your own

you need a piece of fleece (fabric shop, market stall etc) and a pair of scissors. All you do is cut them to size to fit inside the nappy, round the corners if you're being fancy. They won't fray and will last until your small person potty trains

greensnail Fri 02-Oct-09 09:32:37

I have monkeyfoot bags and they're fab. I can fit lots more than 8 in an xl bag too - managed to get 4 days worth of nappies in when on holiday, so about 20 nappies.

I have another monkeyfoot bag for swimming too and always get nice comments about it

Octothechildherder Fri 02-Oct-09 18:17:39

Nappywardrobe does have fleece liners hmm ((Scurries off to check out stock control))) lol - you can make your own - fleece cut into rectangles - I bought some ages ago with the intention of making soy/fleece boosters but have failed due to a) no sewing machine b) want them uniformily cut c) looks tricky!! blush

Octothechildherder Fri 02-Oct-09 18:22:50

There are 4! Don't worry - won't be making my own to replace them lol

nigglewiggle Fri 02-Oct-09 19:40:01

Are you the nappy wardrobe then Octo?

I might cut rectangles out of my husband's fleece coat, or I might splash out!

Octothechildherder Sat 03-Oct-09 10:59:05

Yes thats me! grin

nigglewiggle Sat 03-Oct-09 16:25:45

I splashed out! Order placed, thank you.

Octothechildherder Sun 04-Oct-09 22:07:12

Thanks NiggleWiggle - will sort on Monday smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now