Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Advice on drying nappies

(12 Posts)
alana39 Tue 29-Sep-09 13:45:14

Going for cloth nappies for the 1st time with DC3 due in a few weeks. I don't have a tumble dryer and get by in the winter with airers and radiators for normal laundry. I'm planning on getting microfibre terry nappies and someone has suggested a heated airer - gut feel is that this is probably a waste of money as I do have room for a normal airer up, near to a radiator, pretty much all the time over the winter and it doesn't bother me at all. Anyone have any thoughts / advice on this?
TIA

Carrotfly Tue 29-Sep-09 13:48:17

Airing cupboard ?

I personally didnt like the microfibre nappies.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 29-Sep-09 13:50:40

I don't have a tumble drier and use bamboo squares most of the time. I dry outside whenever I can and use the airer inside only when it's actually raining. I find it's fine and for me getting a heated airer would seem to defeat the object a bit.

Hope all goes well with DC3

thehairybabysmum Tue 29-Sep-09 14:03:04

i have onelife and motherease cotton nappies and no drier, manage fine with line/aire and radiator combo depending on weather.

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 14:13:12

I didn't like microfibre nappies either - nowhere near as absorbent as cotton so they leaked awfully.

Something that unfolds - terry squares if you can hack the folding, but if not then Kiwi Quick Flips, or at least somethign like a Bimble where the booster unfolds, will help with drying speed.

you can always get a heated airer later if you are overwhelmed

greensnail Tue 29-Sep-09 14:21:18

I have a few microfibre nappies which are good if you need to get some dry quickly, then you can wait a bit longer for the rest of them. I don't like DD being in them all the time though.

I wouldn't buy too much (nappies or heated airers) until after the baby is born - its so much easier to work out what you'll actually need once they're here and wearing the nappies.

alysonpeaches Thu 01-Oct-09 16:44:02

I do like greensnail.

However, look at Pop in Dream Dri by close parent, they are really good for drying at room temperature in a few hours. With DD3 age 1 I dont use the bamboo booster, but if I did it folds out flat and dries on radiator. The whole nappy can be unpoppered at one side and dried in about 4 hours.

LittlePants Fri 02-Oct-09 07:50:03

The *P'tits Dessous P'tits Technic* micro-fibre nappies are VERY quick drying and VERY absorbent. In fact they come out of the machine nearly dry! They are a bit pricey, being French, but because they dry so quickly, you don't need to buy bearly as many as you would of most other nappies, as its the drying time that usually dictates how many nappies you need!

Babybots Fri 02-Oct-09 10:44:48

I would suggest whilst little one is tiny to use a nappy and wrap. They are by far the most reliable in terms of containment and fit for newborns. As for a quick drying one have a look at micro diddys by Nature babies.

When little one gets older id suggest switching to pockets with a microfibre insert. They are very quick drying.

The other option is to buy a few more nappies knowing that they will take longer to dry. If you decide to go down this route look at bamboo for its absorbancy, and a good fitting wrap for reliability

Bamboo is the slowest to dry however if its wet i dry mine on a little airer with loads of pegs on (dont know what they are called) and hang in my kitchen near the slightly open window and they dry in about 24 hours. Never use the tumble dryer for them as they dry fine.

Hth

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 02-Oct-09 18:29:05

We have no tumble drier, this will be my first winter with 2 in cloth nappiesshock I find this time tricky as it is wet a lot but not cold enough to put the heating on.

I find that leaving the window open helps the stuff on airers to dry quicker, I use a mixture of bumbles, bumgenius, and blueberries. A few hours on the line even when it's cool gives them a good start then finish off on the airer overnight, they end up less crunchy that way too.

Octothechildherder Fri 02-Oct-09 18:36:30

I would suggest a mixture and see how you get on - microfleece doesn't always dry as quickly as some think - lots of people use them thinking they are dry but the inner core is still wet and then they start to smell/grey - so always make sure they are totally dry.

If I was choosing again for a newborn - I would go for a combo of
muslins, eenee snibs, nippas
xs sandys and snibs or small rikkis
lollipop micro and small rikki
come coolababys - cheap & quick drying

So you have the reliability of a two parter and a slection to choose from.

Babybots Fri 02-Oct-09 20:19:20

Dont go for the Coolababy till little one is about 10- 12lb its not quite small enough in the waist for a newborn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now