Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

tots bots gone a bit rough - any washing/drying solutions?

(6 Posts)
Mimile Mon 28-Sep-09 09:42:54

I'm using a set of second-hand tots bots (the original cotton ones with wraps)on 3 weeks old DD.
We wash at 40 - 50C and dry them on the line (or most often indoors, being in Scotland!).
The nappies are the one with integrated fleece liner, and I add a paper liner on top of it.
My concern is that the towelling fabric has gone quite rough with washing/drying, and looks uncomfortable, especially around the legs.
What can we do to make them softer? we have a tumble dryer, and drying balls, I was wondering whether this was worth trying (although I understood it would shorten their lifespan?)
Did anyone use the Eco balls for washing nappies? or is this too gentle for poo-stained fabric?

And something totally different: with the nappies being so bulky compared to disposables, do they affect the curvature of baby's back when asleep (on her back)?

Octothechildherder Mon 28-Sep-09 13:21:24

I would get them as dry as possible on the line then chuck them in the drier for 15 mins to soften them up.

I believe cloth is better for baby's posture and clicky hips etc than disps.

I use a good sanitiser on my nappies like clean & fresh or mio fresh - add a teaspoon - gets them much cleaner.

LatinDAISYcal Tue 29-Sep-09 20:22:00

Agree with the tumble drier tip.

there are a few cloth users on here who use ecoballs and are happy with their performance. I only started using a nappy sanitiser recently and am using Lollipop's clean and fresh and am amazed at the difference it has made (I've been using two teaspoons though Octo, can I be more economic with it?) And there is nothing like a bit of natural light (doesn't have to be sunshine) to bleach out any stains. If you have to dry inside, then put the airer close to the window; takes longer but works eventually!

Re the back curvature, I can see why this would be a concern, but bear in mind that cloth nappies have been around much longer than disposables and there wasn't an issues of back problems with previous generations smile

LatinDAISYcal Tue 29-Sep-09 20:24:08

oh, and you can maybe try stripping them as detergent build up can cause them to go a bit crunchy as well.

Wash at 60 degrees with a biological powder, then do repeated rinses until there are no more suds visible. Some people use a vinegar soak beforehand but I don't think this is absolutely necessary.

Mimile Wed 30-Sep-09 09:15:45

thanks for all the replies! i ve given the tumble dryer a go - it did soften them up a bit. i ll try stripping them in case there is build up too!

alysonpeaches Thu 01-Oct-09 16:37:05

Stripping and vinegar rinse is good, plus tumble dry, but I believe there is no reason why you shouldnt use bold 2 in 1 as its fabric softner is clay based, not grease based and so wont coat nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now