Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

'regressions'; - why and how to handle them?

(13 Posts)
mummylonglegs Tue 07-Jun-05 14:36:46

Message deleted

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 14:57:43

probably shouldn't offer advice as I think my ds1 and your dd are completely different animals regarding potty training
But we have had lots of regressions (every time I start to think, yeah, he's really cracked it now)
I tend to reinstate a reward system and also insist on visits to the toilet at strategic times for a few days (for example, a few months back he had a couple of accidents during his tea - so I insisted he went for a wee before tea for a few days). Then it gets back on track. Oh, and I tend to get really annoyed by it, but I'd skip that bit
in ds1's case I think he just gets a bit lazy. If I have a few days of OTT praise every time he goes to the toilet it tends to remind him again.

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 15:00:09

but my neice, who may be more like your dd, also went through a period of holding on until she couldn't any longer. my sil found that trying to insist that she went was counterproductive. I think in the end she just had a reward system for every time she went by herself, and tried to back off otherwise.

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 15:01:51

but my neice, who may be more like your dd, also went through a period of holding on until she couldn't any longer. my sil found that trying to insist that she went was counterproductive. I think in the end she just had a reward system for every time she went by herself, and tried to back off otherwise.

elliott Tue 07-Jun-05 15:02:06

sorry!

mummylonglegs Tue 07-Jun-05 21:07:22

Message deleted

mummylonglegs Wed 08-Jun-05 11:06:32

Message deleted

vivs Wed 08-Jun-05 19:11:31

i had just logged on to ask EXACTLY the same question. however, my dd age 2.8 has no "accidents" at the childminders, only for me at home. asks to sit on the toilet and then sits on the floor 2 mins later and does a massive wee. unfortunately, i am getting v. annoyed by it which doesn't help a thing.

can't offer any advice yet to mummylonglegs but if any breakthroughs i'll post back but can anyone else help?!

fifilala Thu 09-Jun-05 08:43:57

I put a similar post a few months back, but ds was only doing it at nursery (he had moved into the pre school area and I did wonder if htis was him "attention seeking?)- following 5 months of potty training (which came really easy to him).
Like vivs we were getting a bit annoyed with him which in turn made him really upset, so we gently tried to remind him to go to the loo and also avoided the potty as at nursery in the preschool room they only have toilets. It took about 4 weeks with him but success has been achieved again.

Have either children had any changes to their normal routine?????

Persevere and it will come back

Pinotmum Thu 09-Jun-05 09:01:52

I think you have to persevere and be quite firm when she wets herself telling her she MUST try to get to the toilet on time. My ds was trained at the same time as your dd but he still does have the odd accident especially when he's in the garden. It's like he can't be bothered and as he always gets changed what's the fuss but I tell him I am cross with him and then he makes an effort the next time. I also get him to get new pants and trousers and change him slowly which keeps him way from play. I am sure I will still be having accidents by the end of the year but I'm not letting him think it's OK. I don't midn an accident next to the potty or on the way to the potty but just standing there in full wee is chastised

elliott Thu 09-Jun-05 09:40:05

one tip I have read is to give the child total responsibility for changing themselves after the accident - then they lose time from playing and it acts as a disincentive.
how are things going?

mummylonglegs Sat 11-Jun-05 21:00:56

Message deleted

Lua Thu 07-Jul-05 11:05:11

ML, did you find any good way to work things out?
We have experienced similar problems with my DD. She was holding as much as she could and then slowly became unwilling to go to toilets in restaurants, stores, etc.. and then one day refused to go in the toilet home and peed on herself....
We were very upset and told she would have to clean up etc. She has been trained for almost a year now!
But it became clear that she was for some reason scared of the toilet. She will go in the potty happily.
So we are biting our tongues and hoping it will pass soon. I hate cleanning potty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now