Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What can you tumble/and what cant you tumble dry?

(7 Posts)
alysonpeaches Thu 24-Sep-09 22:31:28

I never tumble dry wraps, nor do I tumble dry my fuzzi bunz or my pop ins (dont need to). Cotton nappies, hemp, bamboo ones. My tumble dryer has two settings hot or cool so when nappies say tumble dry medium Im a bit lost.

With the colder weather coming a definitive list of what you can and cant tumble would be helpful for me and probably others.

Can anyone give me any dos and donts?

swampster Thu 24-Sep-09 22:38:16

No definitives from me but cool is probably better than hot.

Cotton nappies, hemp and bamboo will come out fluffier and softer, especially the bamboo. But tumbling shortens a nappy's life (you lose loads of fibres each time) and it is quite harsh on elasticated bits.

Watch out with all your talk of <<<shhhhhhh>>> tumbling, or the environmental brigade will be down on you like a tonne of fluff!

Octothechildherder Fri 25-Sep-09 09:46:18

Never ever pop in outers! Would opt for cool too. I use my tumble dryer alot in general as otherwise I just can't keep on top of stuff. Something has to give somehwere blush

MrsDimples Fri 25-Sep-09 12:47:08

What about Bumgenius inserts & outers?

Got a caravan holiday soon, with launderette onsite, was hoping to use BG when out & about and be bale to dry quickly . .. * fingers crossed *

Octothechildherder Fri 25-Sep-09 13:35:47

I think BG say no but mine have been fine.

swampster Fri 25-Sep-09 13:58:04

This is what BG say:

How do I wash my new diapers?
For bumGenius 3.0 and 2.0 products (made with PUL outer):
Wash once in cold water with no more than 1/4 (high efficiency machines) to 1/2 (top loading, regular machines) of the detergent's recommended amount per load.
Wash once in hot (up to 120 degrees) water with no more than 1/4 (high efficiency machines) to 1/2 (top loading, regular machines) of the detergent's recommened amount per load. Optionally (and only occasionally), add 1/4 cup of bleach to this cycle.
Add an extra rinse to remove any lingering detergent in the diapers.
Tumble dry on the warm setting.
NOTE: To preserve your hook and loop closures, we suggest washing bumGenius products separately from heavy cotton or hemp diapers (like prefolds or cotton fitteds).
What detergent can I use?
You should only use detergents that are free of dyes, enzymes, perfumes, whiteners and brighteners. Using detergents containing these ingredients will cause damage to your diaper including elastic failure and leaking. Free shipping is available on cloth diaper safe detergents here using coupon code "GOODWASH".
What should I avoid?
Do not use extra additives in your wash (like baking soda or vinegar). These ingredients are unnecessary and will cause problems in your diapers. Do not use fabric softeners. Do not boil your diapers.

But I wouldn't bother tumbling the outers as they dry so quickly anyway.

alysonpeaches Fri 25-Sep-09 22:05:47

Thanks, I use the outdoors whenever I can and finish off on an airer, but sometimes when you have a lot of washing and its raining you need to tumble dry. If the environmental brigade want to come and sort out my 4 kids laundry (2 in nappies) they can. I suspect they wont do it as well as I do grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now