Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help me find some reusables that suit DD!

(9 Posts)
Confusedfirsttimemum Tue 15-Sep-09 11:07:25

Before DD was born, I really wanted to try reuseable nappies, but we've not met with a lot of success. She's now 5 months, so ready for second size in lots of styles (she's big!) and I want to give it another go.

We tried a couple of Totsbots (with applix fastening) and Motherease wraps. DD hated them. She hated all the bulk around her tummy as she loves pulling her legs up to her tummy and rolling around with her legs in the area (dignified!). She was ok to about 6 weeks, then screamed whenever I put one on (and until I took it off).

I figured a slim, all in one nappy was maybe the way to go and bought one itti bitti d'lish. We've used it five times and it's leaked each time. First twice out the waistband. Then soaked straight through the back in 2 hours, then out the leg.

So, question is whether there's something a bit like the Itti Bitti in style and slimness, but less leaky/more bomb proof. Or is that a pipe dream? I figure it would need a water proof outer rather than the soft stuff on the Itti Bitti.

Thanks!

thehairybabysmum Tue 15-Sep-09 11:21:38

Personally i have tried a few (and agree that totsbots v. bulky) and ONelife ones are the best...or motherease as they seem the same to me.

Best wraps are one life popper ones by a long shot. Dont like the motherase wraps...the velcro seems to irritate ds2s tummy. also with velcro ones getting a good fit on the leg (my two have quite skinny legs) is dependent on pullig it quite tight around the tummy. The popper ones are more adjustable IMO as the leg poppers are unrelated to the waist setting IYSWIM.

I dont work for them honest!!

JennyPennyNAPPYWEB Tue 15-Sep-09 11:32:00

2 parters are definatly the more reliable types and you can get some very pretty wraps like WeeNotions to cover them. But you won't get the slimnest of an itti. Some pockets are very slim and more reliable than an itti but might need a booster as most of the microfiber inserts that come with pockets arn't suiable for hevy wetters.

ziggyf Tue 15-Sep-09 13:49:29

It might be worth trying Bumgenius pockets. I personally didn't find them as reliable as two part systems but they are much slimmer fitting and, if boosted enough, last a good amount of time. The ones I had were one size so no need to buy different sizes as your DD grows so work out reasonably good value.

I think a few places have them on special at the moment, bumfluff nappies definitely do wink

Z xx

mistermoo Tue 15-Sep-09 19:12:20

Sounds to me that maybe your DD needs a popper-fastening nappy (velcro can look and feel bulky and hard around the tum, esp. if she's not used to it), and probably a nappy that is lower in the rise (ie doesn't come so far up her tummy) to give her more room for gymnastical manoeuvres.
There are some shortlists of nappies by fastening type here
and by nappy design (low rise) here

I wonder if something like a Fuzzi Bunz Perfect Size pocket might be good? they are sized, so will be trimmer fitting on her (but, obviously you will have to buy a couple of sizes)

Or if you definitely don't want pockets, maybe the Swaddlebees pocket all-in-one, which is a very low rise (hipster style) all-in one, which you can stuff with a booster (microfibre would be slimmest) for extra absorbency...

Octothechildherder Tue 15-Sep-09 21:21:34

dream dri are good smile

duvetheaven Tue 15-Sep-09 22:45:18

My DD is quite high on the centile chart and I find Sandy's are a good fit on legs and waist. (Bamboo will be more absorbent and stay soft) Bumgenius are popular but I don't find they are good on the babies blessed with chubby thighs. I have heard others say this too.
Not sure what to suggest for wraps as we use Motherease Poppers/ Airflow that work well.

shelsco Fri 18-Sep-09 22:52:28

Don't know if i can help but have similar problem! My DS is also big! He's 5 months too and, like you, I've trialled loads but can't seem to find one that suits. I found the bumgenius good in terms of leakage and drying time but too bulky. Added problem that trousers won't fit over it and DS can't wear a dress!! I have just tried the bambinex all in one and it seemed slimmer fitting, although i had the medium size and I think it was a bit too small. I'm now looking to order a large one to try. Didn't leak at all with poo (better than disposables I thought) but need an extra booster for heavy wetters, as wee seemed to soak through (rather than out) the nappy. Lasted about 3 hours, i think and DS seemed the most comfortable I've seen him in a reusable. Hope you find something! I've tried absolutely loads but not sure if I'm just finding it hard due to DS being so big!

Confusedfirsttimemum Sun 20-Sep-09 21:30:13

Thanks guys. Lots to think about smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now