Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Motherease nappies, so many questions!!!

(9 Posts)
fairywing Mon 14-Sep-09 18:33:31

Si was in our local thrift store today and there was a large box with 17 mother ease washable nappies, 15 fleece rectangles, 4 fleece thick pads, 2 XL waterproof covers with poppers and 9 muslins for £49. Baring in mind i can claim back £30 from our local council i bought them. I am due to have first baby in December and was planning on using washables and had been looking on ebay for second hand ones so was really pleased with that!

So now for my many questions, please be gentle i am totally new to all this!!!

1. They have rows of press studs along the top and seem very adjustable so i think they must be the one size ones so suitable from birth to potty, is that right? All the labels have been removed from the actual nappies.

2. The fleece rectangles are i presume washable liners and the pads are boosters, is that right? What do i do with them?! I presume a fleece liner in during the day and it is just laid on the inside of the nappy and a booster at night? but is that as well as a liner? instead of? on top of? underneath?

3. They are a bit stiff and hard at the moment, is there anything i can do to soften them up??

4.The two XL covers i was planning to sell on ebay and buying smaller ones instead. If i get 4 small and 4 medium how long will that last me for? as in what age will they fit until? They just go on over the top right? nothing more complicated than that? Do i need to get the Motherease covers or are other makes compatible?

5. Will they fit her from newborn on the smallest 'setting'? They still look quite large so i'm not sure if i should stock up on disposables or whether they will fit from the start. Was planning to get a couple of packs of disposables anyway to help me get used to things and for out and about.

6. Will 17 nappies be enough? I'm happy to wash every other day or even every day to begin with.

7. The only other things i thought i might need are some washable wipes, a nappy bucket and mesh wash bag, is there anything else i haven't thought of???

8. Was that a good price for all them?? I thought it was going from the prices on ebay but i'm not sure what the price difference is between the different makes.

9. How are they as a brand? I have read mixed reviews generally so have i bought decent ones or not??

Any other thoughts, comments or advice would be very gratefully received! As i said i really am a newbie at all this!!!

Thanks smile

fairywing Mon 14-Sep-09 18:34:58

Sorry that should say 'So I' at the beginning there not Si!! blush

silverfrog Mon 14-Sep-09 18:53:40

I have always used Motherease nappies for my two, and I like them. I used One Size ones with dd1, and then got a few small Sandy's for dd2 (mostly becasue dd1 was still using the one size ones!). dd2 is now in the one size. Will try to answer your questions - am not an expert though, as have only used ME nappies.

1. They have rows of press studs along the top and seem very adjustable so i think they must be the one size ones so suitable from birth to potty, is that right? All the labels have been removed from the actual nappies.

yes, suitable from birth to potty. wouldn't really suit a baby under about 7 lb though, and even then can be quite bulky on a newborn. you could always use muslins at first though, then the Motherease once baby was a bit bigger.

2. The fleece rectangles are i presume washable liners and the pads are boosters, is that right? What do i do with them?! I presume a fleece liner in during the day and it is just laid on the inside of the nappy and a booster at night? but is that as well as a liner? instead of? on top of? underneath?

yes, fleece rectangles are liners. I haven't really bothered with them, as I have the Dry versions of the OneSize, so don't really need a liner. the thicker pads are boosters, and will be needed once your dc gets a bit bigger. some people don't like ME as they are not as absorbant as other nappies. I've never had a problem with that, but have had to double boost at times.

3. They are a bit stiff and hard at the moment, is there anything i can do to soften them up??

give them a wash. or even a couple of washes. nappies can go a bit hard when not used ofr a while.

4.The two XL covers i was planning to sell on ebay and buying smaller ones instead. If i get 4 small and 4 medium how long will that last me for? as in what age will they fit until? They just go on over the top right? nothing more complicated than that? Do i need to get the Motherease covers or are other makes compatible?

ME covers the best, imo (although have never used wool or fleece wraps). can't remember the sizings on wraps (my labels gave up a long time ago!) but you could check out recommneded sizings on the web. kittykins stock ME wraps, as do other retailers - they are universally popular. dd2 still fits into medium wraps, and she weighs about 11kg (she is 2.7, but tiny!). yes, they just go over the top, and are nicely adjustable at waist and leg.

5. Will they fit her from newborn on the smallest 'setting'? They still look quite large so i'm not sure if i should stock up on disposables or whether they will fit from the start. Was planning to get a couple of packs of disposables anyway to help me get used to things and for out and about.

the smallest setting uses the inner row of poppers. lay the nappy out on a table, then fold up the front bit, as you would on a baby, between the legs. then fold the top of that back down outwards - there is a row of poppers there, which you use for a newborn. once the baby gets bigger you then can use the poppers on the outside. I found the nappies ver usable, and versatile. they fitted dd1 form birth (well, a couple of weeks old) right u until she was 3 or so (late potty trainer due to SN). dd1 was a small baby (6lb 6), but is a large child. she fitted into the One Size up to about 3ish (hazy memory) when I got some XL Sandy's. She did still fit into the OneSize, but had dd2 by then, so pressure was on the nappies, especially drying them!

6. Will 17 nappies be enough? I'm happy to wash every other day or even every day to begin with.

I had 15 or so with just dd1. Once dd2 arrived as well, and I had 2 in nappies, I got a dozen smal Sandy's and 6 XL Sandy's to ease pressure on washing. Initially with dd1 I washed every day - so she used 5/6 in a day, I washed, and had at least 6 ready for the next day waiting to be used while the first day's dried, plus a coupple more for extra poo-ey days! this worked well while she was small. once she was bigger and using less nappies per day, I washed every other day.

7. The only other things i thought i might need are some washable wipes, a nappy bucket and mesh wash bag, is there anything else i haven't thought of???

maybe wipe solution? I've used Northern Essence beofre, and it was good.

8. Was that a good price for all them?? I thought it was going from the prices on ebay but i'm not sure what the price difference is between the different makes.

I would have been happy with that as a purchase, especially if the nappies are still looking good. Haven't bought nappies for a couiple of years now, but I'd say it was a good price.

9. How are they as a brand? I have read mixed reviews generally so have i bought decent ones or not??

I like them, and they have doen us well. there are undoubtedly prettier nappies out there, and also more comlicated/technical ones. but at the end of the day, imo, they are nappies - and they do the job well. mine have been in service now for 5 years constantly. dd1 only trained before Christmas, at 4.6, due to SN, and dd2 is still in nappies at 2.7. they are looking a little worn now, but will be passing them onto my SIL once dd2 has trained.

silverfrog Mon 14-Sep-09 18:56:51

this shows what I was trying to explain re: the different poppers!

DoThisDoThat Mon 14-Sep-09 19:03:16

Hi. Good buy. DS3 still in the motherease, esp at night.

To soften them up, try a rinse with white vinegar. Don't sell the XL wraps, you'll need them sooner than you think - about 15 months. Maybe get some colourful size 1 tots bots wraps for now.

Octothechildherder Mon 14-Sep-09 21:04:56

You have some good advice - personally I would wash them at 60 with no detergent to see if they have any build up in them - this will get them nice and clean - then hang them on the line in the rain for a few days - you will end up with nice soft nappies!

Use motherease rikkis over the top - best wrap ever made.

You can use fleece liners or paper liners - try both and see how you get on. Washable wipes are great - you don't really need a special solution - water is fine. For nappy rash use silver liners. I use an extra large monkey foot bag to store my nappies now rather than a bucket - washable and looks much nicer in the bathroom.

I volunteer for my real nappy network - may be worth seeing if your local council has one - they probably do if they have vouchers - mine is Wiltshire.

fairywing Tue 15-Sep-09 07:31:40

Thanks so much for the replies, thats really helpful smile Feel much more confident about using them now, just need the baby to put in them i guess!!

hophophippidtyhop Tue 15-Sep-09 13:27:10

I've been using this from boots for my wipes. That was a good buy, you could always look out for some small sandy's so they aren't so bulky while the baby is small- try the nappies for sale board on mn, www.usednappies.co.uk/or www.clothnappytree.com/.

sasamaxx Tue 15-Sep-09 22:47:25

You've had great advice so far. For softness, def do what everyone else has said and then finish off with a full dry in the tumble drier - they will be supersoft!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now