Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Newbie lookijng for advice!

(10 Posts)
PootleTheFlump Mon 14-Sep-09 12:15:35

Hi All,

Hope you wise ones can help (apologies if the info is elsewhere - am having narrowing it all down!)

I am due in Nov and hoping to use reusables (though have some disposables for the very beginning). Have got some lovely little lambs bamboo from another MNer, but they seem quite bulky for a truly small one and am not overwhelmed with the wraps (a quick web search reveals exciting ones with patterns on!). I also saw a youtube clip of using muslins folded when they are small. So, if you use muslins or terry squares, what wrap should you use over the top?

Also, everyone recommends bags for bucket storage and when out and about - where's the best place to get these from? And can you get bags that transfer straight into the machine (think I saw reusable wipes that had transferable bags at a baby show).

Thanks in advance smile

Octothechildherder Mon 14-Sep-09 17:14:28

If you want smaller nappies than little lambs would recommend muslins in eenie snibs/small motherease rikkis or newborn terries with the same cover - there are different folds you can use - email me for folding sheet advice@nappywardrobe.co.uk. I now recommend extra large monkeyfoot wet bags for storage instead of a bucket and the small ones for washable wipes. There are about 8 nappy sellers with the bags now so should be easy to find a pattern you like. Every nappy seller has washable wipes - you just need to decide which ones you like! You could go down the cheeky wipes route but would recommend buying a tub from tescos and doing them yourself!

HTH

Octothechildherder Mon 14-Sep-09 17:14:45

Are you a 2007 April mum?

jeee Mon 14-Sep-09 17:17:55

Don't buy anything until AFTER you've had the baby. At first the baby will poo so often reusables aren't really an option (I once went through nearly 30 nappies in one day). And you'll have far more of an idea as to whether you have the energy to use reuasables - which are a bit more work. This sounds really anti reuasables, but I have used them for 4 DCs - honest.

jeee Mon 14-Sep-09 17:18:48

And I obviously can't spell 'reusable' blush

Octothechildherder Mon 14-Sep-09 17:26:25

30 nappies in a day shock!!

Waiting can be a good idea but personally I used cloth from birth on all of mine and never had any problems - but I did have 3 big boys so the nappies never seemed too big.

PootleTheFlump Mon 14-Sep-09 17:32:00

Don't worry about spelling, I can't manage "looking" in the title blush!!

I am not an Oct 07 Mum, this is first time round for me!! I ahve got some disposables for the first bit but really want to be prepared to use cloth and just build it into the daily routine as soon as we're up and running.

Thanks for all the advice, I will definitely email you Octo. I will take a look at those wraps. If you use the monkey foot bags do they transfer straight to the washer, or should you line them with net?

Thanks so much for your help!

Octothechildherder Mon 14-Sep-09 17:52:27

oh there was a pootlefump on my antenatal thread!

I put the bag in the wash with the nappies.

Quidditch Mon 14-Sep-09 18:59:52

My favorite wraps are the Nature Babies ones, as they have some lovely prints, and I like the gusset in them. I also love the bambeasy newborn nappy, as it's so neat on e tiny newborn, and the fleece lining keeps them dry.

Good luck anyway!

ziggyf Mon 14-Sep-09 20:14:47

We used reusables from about a week, when the meconium has cleared and used muslins with Motherease Rikki wraps for the first few weeks until he grew into his shaped nappies a bit. I did try terries when he was little but they were huge and when I put him down he rocked like a seesaw lol grin

Definitely agree with using Monkey Foot bags rather than a bucket and boring 'out and about' bags. They are sooooo beautiful and just as convenient.

HTH
Z xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now