Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

smelly cloth nappies

(6 Posts)
paininthebutt Sat 12-Sep-09 19:54:01

I've been using cloth nappies with my dd who is no 2o months and she's on this particular set for almost a year. i used to wash them in 1 tablet of washing powder only, as advised. in the last 2 months the nappies suddenly started to smell after the wash. when you walk into the room where they're hanging to dry it just smells of poo! i tried increasing the washing powder to 2 tabs, adding the babino mio desinfectant - with no result. anyone had a similar experience?

i don't think it's the washing machine's fault. it's 2 years old, ment to be really good and all other clothes are washed fine, even my dh's smelly T-shirts.

is it cause the nappies are actually quite old now and have been used hundreds of times?

Is it possibly mu dd's poo composition? maybe as they get older the poo smell just hang about?

any ideas?

mumface Sat 12-Sep-09 20:19:13

Sounds like they need stripping. They can get a build up of detergent which the smell clings to. More detergent will only make it worse. Try washing them a few times with no detergent until there are no bubbles in the machine.

MummyElk Sat 12-Sep-09 20:25:14

can you wash them hotter? with an extra rinse to get rid of detergent build up?

foxytocin Sat 12-Sep-09 20:32:11

my cure for smelly nappies was to soak them in a bucket of rain water. then put through a spin cycle.

or leave on the line in a good rain then take them down and put in a spin cycle only before hanging to dry.

Indith Sat 12-Sep-09 20:37:41

Agree that you need less detergent and not more. As mumface says wash them several times with no detergent then do a good hot wash with some white vinegar. Have you tried eco balls for nappies? I know opinions vary greatly for clothes but for nappies they are fab as you don't get any detergent build up.

paininthebutt Sat 12-Sep-09 20:39:52

great ladies, i'll give it a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now