Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How to deal with the incredible leaking boy?

(43 Posts)
WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 10-Sep-09 08:45:06

DS2 is 5.5 months and has always had a magic ability to leak out of nappies - cloth, disposable, you name it, he's leaked out of it.

He was going through the night ok in a Moltex disposable, but for the last two weeks he's leaked every single night. Always up the side and up onto his back, never out of the legs.

He was near the top weight for the size he was in so I got some of the next size up and he's still leaking out of them. It's not an absorbency issue as the nappy isn't full by any means when he wakes up wet.

Any thoughts, tips, anyone had this experience? We're fixing the nappy on tight, pointing his willy downwards etc etc and yet he still manages to leak. We tried cloth at night but he was soaked really quickly (we use Fluffles and Motherease wraps) even with boosters etc, so we went back to disposables for nighttimes. He has to be kept as dry as possible as he has a big haemangioma (strawberry birthmark) on his groin which will ulcerate and scar if he gets nappy rash.

Please help, can't take the 4am nappy/babygro/sleeping bag change much longer, plus there's too much washing!

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 10-Sep-09 09:14:54

bump

SpringySponge Thu 10-Sep-09 10:40:05

bump

ElectricElephant Thu 10-Sep-09 10:42:28

have you tried all different kinds of disposables?

pasturesnew Thu 10-Sep-09 10:43:11

Was going to say next size nappy but see you have tried this, but maybe he needs the next size up again? What brands have you tried? What is he wearing on top, a vest and/or babygro might be better than trousers or a nightie thing?

ElectricElephant Thu 10-Sep-09 10:43:54

just a thought - has he started to roll?

Octothechildherder Thu 10-Sep-09 14:23:25

put a nappy wrap over the disp? Or go for a good bamboo nappy with boosters in.

swampster Thu 10-Sep-09 14:51:21

Baby Beehinds bamboo one-sizes - unbeatable with wool or fleece or even PUL over. I find the bamboo fleece material never feels sopping in the morning and is so much nicer than artificial fleece which often makes mine go a bit pinky.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 10-Sep-09 16:03:51

Thank you for good advice! He can roll onto his side and does sleep on his side sometimes, so that's not helping.

DP has suggested popping a bamboo booster in the disp. to keep his willy pointing downwards, so we're going to try that tonight, and if not we might try a Bamboo Beehind and see how we get on.

rachelinscotland Thu 10-Sep-09 22:59:56

Whenever we've been on holiday (and forced to use disposables) I take along Motherease wraps and something absorbant (half of a bamboo terry square or a small prefold) and make a pad out of it, place that on/around the disposable (on the outside) and then pop the ME wrap on, and no wet bed or clothes! My 2.5yo son has always leaked out of disposables at night, even though the back part of the nappy wasn't always saturated. But the cloth & wrap works very nicely!

JennyPenny22 Thu 10-Sep-09 23:54:45

I am going to be listing my bamboo baby beehinds on the for sale boards when I get a min, feel free to CAT me. They are brilliant at night for that age (my DD is coming up to 5 months) and then can be used as a day nappy when they get bigger (My other DD is 20 months! LOL)

caen Fri 11-Sep-09 22:09:43

Fluffles won't last all night (or even evening!). We use a LL bamboo or a Slinki Minki stuffed with a microfibre cloth from the pound shop (about the size of a muslin - a bit smaller) and a bamboo booster. Both failsafe.

MoominMymbleandMy Fri 11-Sep-09 22:24:21

I have a super soaker and I use a bamboo nappy stuffed with two bamboo boosters under a wrap at night.

Bamboo is super absorbent.

swampster Sat 12-Sep-09 16:27:39

Fluffles last all night here but smell like wet dog by morning. Slinki Minkis and standard Minkis never lasted much more than five minutes before leaking eaverywhere!

WhatFreshHellIsThis Sat 12-Sep-09 21:22:45

thank you! have been not well so haven't been on, not ignoring you. We had a leak free night with a disposable stuffed with a bamboo booster, so it strikes me that I might as well get a bamboo night nappy and cut out disposables altogether. Don't know which to get - MoominMymbleandMy, which ones do you use?

rachelinscotland - good tip about the wraps, we are going away in October so I will take our Motherease wraps and bamboo squares with us as well as disposables.

caen what is LL bamboo?

swampster - yes, he won't leak out of a FLuffle/motherease wrap combination, but is soaked by morning and he has to be kept dry to keep his strawberry birthmark from ulcerating, so it's important we have something really absorbent. He does well in Fluffles in the daytime, as well as Itti Bittis, but we change him quite often.

MoominMymbleandMy Sat 12-Sep-09 22:00:55

I use TotsBots Bamboozles nappies with two Motherease bamboo boosters (the type that have no poppers) under a TotsBots fleece wrap for nights.

And I line it with a reuseable fleece liner because fleece keeps moisture away from his skin. My DS has eczema and throwaway paper liners got so wet they gave him horrible nappy rash. The fleece stays dry so we don't have any problems now.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Sat 12-Sep-09 22:48:28

Thanks Moomin! I have a fleece wrap and some fleece liners already so I might get a Bamboozle and see how we get on with that for a night.

claudialyman Sat 12-Sep-09 23:01:26

i found it helped not to have anything too fitted over the nappy. I was going wrong using all in one/ popper vest over the nappy. When it swelled a bit the vest seemed to squeeze the nappy (esp the fit around the legs)and cause leaks. looser pjs or leaving some of the buttons around the crotch unfastened in the all-in-one meant i could cut out the 2am change wink

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 12-Sep-09 23:03:26

Night nappies are so tricky! Think at 4 months, DS was in Bamboozles boosted.

He's 18 months now and in Baby Beehinds (BBH) at night which do last the night (with a wrap). Other successful combinations: Tots Bots Flexitot boosted with bamboo and wrap.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Sat 12-Sep-09 23:13:31

That's interesting claudialyman - the leaks have started since he started growing out of his 3-6 months babygros, so maybe that's the problem? Have just got out all the 9-12 month ones, so will try looser clothing as well tomorrow night.

We always used disposables at night with DS1 ilovemydog [lazy mother] but clearly this baby is too much of a soaker, so it's back to fun and games with cloth! But I can't change nappy/babygro/sleepingbag every night at 2am, it's killing me.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 12-Sep-09 23:30:53

Sorry! Wasn't trying to be judgmental. blush

Strategic boosting? Alternatively, DS goes to Children's Hospital rather frequently and he often gets a bag on his, um, private parts for a wee sample. It's quite impressive. It fits right over, and filters into a bag. I'll get a few for you wink grin

Did your sister have her baby? Seem to remember that you were getting her some nappies for the arrival?

WhatFreshHellIsThis Sun 13-Sep-09 07:15:30

Don't worry, didn't feel judged at all! smile I was always a bit guilty about using disposables at night with DS1, it would appear DS2 is giving me a kick up the arse to get cloth sorted out.

He leaked twice again last night angry and woke up at 6.10am soaked, and ready to start the day. <<yawn>>

Would you recommend just going straight to Beehinds rather than faffing around with boosted Bamboozles? I think I've got one Bamboozle in the loft so am going to try that tonight with boosters and fleece wrap, but will need to buy more if it works, wondering whether to just buy Beehinds and not bother with Bamboozles. Not that I need any encouragement to buy more nappies blush

Sister had a little boy, which is fab as she had two girls already. I sent her an Itti Bitti, a Bamboozle, a FlexiTot (I've never tried them, so it was vicarious nappy buying smile) and a Bumgenius to try. Haven't broached night nappies with her, it's going to be a hard sell getting her husband into cloth as it is.

(Not actually him in cloth nappies, you understand. grin)

WhatFreshHellIsThis Sun 13-Sep-09 07:17:11

Wee bags sound brilliant, too! Do they do poo ones? I left DS2 on his mat for two minutes for nappy free time while I went upstairs to get a nappy, and by the time I had come down again he'd pooed all over the cream rented house carpet....

<<sigh>>

swampster Sun 13-Sep-09 12:55:10

Why not get a Wee Notions Night Notions made up for you? I've not tried them as I am happy with my BBHs and Bedbugs but I have been known to make up a few customs and let my finger hover over the 'buy' button.

Bedbugs are too gorgeous for words and you can have them made with a microfleece inner instead of bamboo velour which is what I love. The size range of a M/L Bedbug is 15-30 pounds so it should work for you from about now for a very long time. So pricey, but an investment? grin Or try an Upsy Daisy night nappy?

Can I just say, I have always loved your name, WhatFreshHellIsThis. grin

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 13-Sep-09 13:16:13

LittleMy, CAT me and I'll send you a BBH to try, or we could meet half way as it's almost as far going to post office to where you are wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now