Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Trouble with 2 year old in cloth, suggestions?

(27 Posts)
alysonpeaches Wed 09-Sep-09 19:13:46

Our 11 month old is fine in cloth, and so was our eldest girl, but the middle one, now aged 2 is difficult to fit. She isnt huge, but she is a lot chunkier than her big sister and looks like she will be the tallest of the lot. She weighs about 28lbs.

Motherease wraps (large air flow) are generally fine. Motherease Sandy's large fit OK but dont always last the night even with a booster. We have some terry boosters and some bamboo boosters. A couple of nights she has been very wet in the morning. (I am going to try again because suspect DH may not been as careful putting it on as I am. Tots bots bamboozles are a little better but the velcro ones dont fit her thighs, I hate nippas, but the popper ones are OK. Tots bots wraps, if they fit her thighs they dont fit at the waist.

I just bought some Dream Dri Pop in which are fine for our 11 month old but there is no way they will fit our 2 year old, which is a bit disappointing.

If you have had a similar aged child of chunky proportions who likes to pee a lot overnight, would you make some suggestions. NB not toilet trained yet, just not ready.

Octothechildherder Wed 09-Sep-09 19:56:01

I am at that stage now - have you tried a large bamboo sandys? I am using an easyfit with micro insert and a cover over the top - so a kind of 3 in one!!!

swampster Wed 09-Sep-09 20:23:22

Weenotions night notions, Upsy daisy night nappy, Holden's Landing Bedbug (toddler sized)... GORGEOUS fluff and well worth it.

mumface Wed 09-Sep-09 21:22:17

I going to try a wool Ecobub pocket nappy tomorrow night on my 2 year old he's 30lb and I have been using disposibles overnight as I can't find a nappy that doesn't either leak or the wrap makes him sore around waist and his chunky thighs.I will probably put a hemp booster in it aswell. They are meant to be really good overnight.

swampster Wed 09-Sep-09 21:59:03

I always think of pockets - any pockets - as day nappies. Nights are for serious bamboo and hemp nappies.

Baby Beehinds bamboo one-sizes were wonderful on DS2 until he was about three but he's not that chunky and they do come up small. That with a Stacinator fleece popper wrap is pretty unbeatable. Wool is nice but needs to be treated with respect, fleece can take a real hammering. Not too keen on PUL at night. DS3 is in BBHs or Bedbugs - really lovely, I wish I had discovered them earlier.

Go on, go get yourself a lovely Night Notions from Wee Notions!

larsazlol Wed 09-Sep-09 22:50:08

Wool over the top would sort it out no probs. We have a tried and tested hemp babies prefold folded inside and bamboo Sandys with a pair of Disana wool shorties over the top.
This combo has never leaked on my two youngest since we started. My dd2 who is now not in nappies still asks to wear her shorties at night.
The wool is key as it really stops the leaks.

alysonpeaches Fri 11-Sep-09 09:59:02

Thanks, but I dont want to go on the wool route. I used it with DD1, the lanolising drove me mad and it still felt damp. I have fleece but havent used it with this one because she insists on pyjamas like her big sister (they share a room) and as it gets colder I will still put her in a sleeping bag.

DH has given up and uses a disposable for her which winds me up a bit.

I will try and get a large Sandys bamboo as the other Sandy's I have are a nice fit on her, and I will boost it up.

Are night notions hugely bulky? I tried minkys with DS but his bum was huge and he didnt like the sensation. Will look into them.

4andnotout Fri 11-Sep-09 10:06:00

My dd3 is nearly two and pee's like a carthorse overnight, she wears bamboo babybeehinds with a booster and a wrap, dd4 who is 11 months wears the same but unboosted.

alysonpeaches Fri 11-Sep-09 10:08:39

We had a baby beehind for DD1 but I think it might have been hemp. It was a nice nappy I must admit.

I suppose its my fault ours pees so much overnight, she still has a huge drink of milk at bedtime, which obviously replaces her bedtime feed, and we cant seem to get her off it.

MrsBadger Fri 11-Sep-09 10:14:51

I double boost overnight - one in the pocket (Bumbles) and one between nappy and wrap

inelegant but functional

mumface Fri 11-Sep-09 11:20:33

I used the Ecobub wool pocket last night with an extra booster & Lewis was bone dry in the morning even though the inserts were soaking wet. Am really impressed considering ordering another one today but they are £18 each! He gets a sore rash if I put him in PUL wraps overnight, but he was fine in this. It is really breathable. They are also very elasticated so look like I could pull them down if he wanted to go for a wee on potty/loo.

swampster Fri 11-Sep-09 20:55:18

I don't really get the point of Ecobubs to be honest - they are wool over PUL? Why not one or the other? I like the look of the choc and blue though.

I am selling a couple of Stacinators and Bedwetters in the Reuseable Nappies section. wink

mumface Fri 11-Sep-09 22:43:25

The wool is an extra barrier if anthing wicks past the PUL I believe. Ordinary PUL wraps make him sore at night & I can't be bothered with Lanolising wool.I could also try fleece but like the idea of pulling them up/down if necessary.

alysonpeaches Sat 12-Sep-09 13:14:10

Last night I put her nappy on and she had a Sandys boosted with 2 hemp boosters and a motherease airflow wrap over the top. Fine no leaks. I have noticed though that if Im not careful the frilly edges of the Sandy's poke through and I think this was the cause of the wetness when DH puts her to bed.

I have got another couple of Sandy's for her, also an Ellas House Hemp nappy to try. Ive also got some nature babies wraps because I used to really like them on her big sis, and a couple of empty fuzzi bunz ... but thats another story.

I did manage to get her into a Pop in Dream Dri for the daytime, but she didnt wear it that long.

I think we are going with the Sandy's with hemp boosters. What do you think?

alysonpeaches Sat 12-Sep-09 13:16:33

PS Octa, are the easyfits the tots bots ones? What do you think of those? I havent tried one (yet ...)

alysonpeaches Mon 14-Sep-09 20:14:21

Right, last night we leaked with same as above, so I have concluded that as she sleeps on her side mainly, but is quite a mover, that her side gets wet with motherease airflow possibly. I am trying a nature babies wrap tonight!

alysonpeaches Tue 15-Sep-09 18:04:50

Bed wet through! Motherease with hemp booster and fleece topped bamboo booster used under nature babies. Im about to give up on this one. I might try some bamboo tonight, bamboo sandy's with bamboo and hemp boosters.

alysonpeaches Thu 17-Sep-09 20:10:35

Bamboo sandy's was better, but we got a wet pyjama waistband. Husband said he thought waistband folded over.

This is nappy lady suggestion:

The Sandys isn't the most absorbent nappy available and it wouldn't be my first choice for night time as it would need substantial boosting.

Of the nappies you've got the Bamboozle would be my first choice. If little one is a heavy wetter the two boosters might still not be enough. I would try one additional booster inside the nappy plus a pad folded muslin around the outside of the nappy. This will give you a very high absorbency combination. The fleece wraps can be very good for heavy wetters as long as you've got a very absorbent nappy inside you shouldn't get any leaks. I used fleece wraps under pjs and a sleeping bag.
What do you think?

I didnt assemble that lot tonight because I have the problem that my bamboozles are all size 2 aplix and the side tabs dont go that far across the middle bit of velcro due to chunky thighs.

Tonight we have a Fuzzibunz containing two large microfibre boosters, a cotton booster, then covered with an extra layer - Rikki Wrap XL with a bamboo cloth folded between fuzzibunz and rikki as an extra booster. Not elegant, but we will see. The problem with the fuzzibunz as far as I can see is that when you have boosted it up and fastened it the legs gape. Obviously there will be a leak through that.

alysonpeaches Fri 18-Sep-09 11:10:48

Dry pyjamas and bed today hurrah!
I think I missed a booster in the above list though. There was a hemp booster on top of the microfibre ones not a cotton one and then a bamboo booster with fleece. Yeah, 5 boosters!! Will try it again tonight!

Quidditch Fri 18-Sep-09 19:50:10

No-one seems to have heard of Sweet Night Nappies, but they are just amazing! They're fleece outers with bamboo popin soakers, and you end up with 12 layers of very high quality bamboo. There's no PUL, so totally breathable, and they are lined with polar fleece, so no wet bums either. They are just AWESOME night nappies!

alysonpeaches Sun 20-Sep-09 13:22:19

might look for those.

We seem to have cracked it with the fuzzibunz combo though.

alysonpeaches Thu 08-Oct-09 13:10:41

We have had a good fortnight now of no leaks with extra large fuzzibunz, 4 inserts and either fleece over top or rikki over top.

Im going to stock up on fleece.

The sweet night nappy looked OK but on the site I found it on you didnt get to see the inside. Before parting with £18+ I want a better view! Any ideas where to find one with a good pic?

LittlePants Fri 09-Oct-09 08:55:17

If you Google them, there is a UK site which has pictures of the inside of them wink

JadedFluffLover Fri 09-Oct-09 19:26:08

Who else thinks Quidditch and Littlepants have remarkably similar posting styles and subjects?

alysonpeaches Fri 09-Oct-09 22:35:46

What are you getting at?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now