Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

pregnant with first and want to use reusables

(17 Posts)
somewhathorrified Mon 07-Sep-09 14:29:39

I really want to use reusable nappies from birth and being the lazy, tight cow I am was thinking that birth to potty AIO's is the way to go, however I've read a few things that concern me, has anyone else used these from birth or am I going to HAVE to buy disposables to start with? (really don't want to do this as I know what I'm like and will probably stick with whatever I use first off).

thehairybabysmum Mon 07-Sep-09 14:39:14

I use the one life ones and have done from 6 weeks to potty at 2.5, now on no.2 and still going strong. Not all-in-ones, personally i dont like these as much. Did buy a few new wraps though.

Personally i was advised pre-birth by a real nappy user not to bother for the first 6 weeks as you will end up feeling swamped and more likely to give up, o have used dispoables with both mine for initial few weeks. I know a couple of people who did start with tthem but did give up quite quickly so feel this was good advice. I guess you could always have 1 packet of disposables in as back up?

I also use them for holidays and long days out.

CMOTdibbler Mon 07-Sep-09 14:44:46

I used sized nappies to start with as DS was prem and the btp nappies swamped him, but bought all my nappies second hand.

He was in disposables for the first 5 days as was in SCBU, but as soon as we came home he went into cloth, and I never bought a single disposable - now potty trained

ChairmumMiaow Mon 07-Sep-09 14:48:59

If you have a nappacino group near you, go to one of those - they can be invaluable as you often get to chat to other mums as well as the organisers so can get lots of opinions.

We used cloth part time from about 6 weeks, then full time from about 3 months. We do still use disposables for long days out (one thing too many with a toddler on the bus in the sling!) and holidays where we don't have a washing machine. They are dead easy when you get into a routine.

Shaped, sized nappies are easier but I'm actually contemplating terry squares for our next (hypothetical) baby!

Reallytired Mon 07-Sep-09 14:51:24

Most people use disposible nappies for the first week. The miconium is very sticky and will stain nappies like mad.

I found for a newborn that nature babies diddy fitted well and were easy to use. The only problem was that my daughter outgrew them by 4 months. However pad folded muslim squares with a motherease air rikka wrap work as well and are a lot cheaper. I now use a mixture of motherease one size and traditional terry nappies with a motherease wrap. The motherease nappies fitted my daughter as soon as she got to 8lb. (Or at three weeks old)

I would use a two part system. They dry easily and are easy to use. Its worth looking on ebay or getting a trial pack to see what you like.

I have used cloth from 5/6 weeks with both of mine, if you cope well then using them from birth is a fantastic idea, but bear in mind it isn't easy when you have just had a baby and adding washing nappies might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Many people find it better to go gently with themselves and use disposables for a few weeks until things settle down, otherwise it can all seem like too much and you end up switching to disposables for good and selling your reusables.

I use mainly terries and prefolds with a few shaped too birth to potty will pretty much always swamp a newborn, but it doesn't mean they will be ineffective, just that they will look huge.

I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket and buy a whole system before your baby is born as different nappies suit different shaped babies and buying loads of the wrong type is another common reason for people giving up with cloth.

smile.

CMOTdibbler Mon 07-Sep-09 14:56:37

You can have my tiny shaped nappies Chairmum - I haven't brought myself to sell them yet as they came back from multiple loans as are soo diddy

ChairmumMiaow Mon 07-Sep-09 15:03:39

CMOT - I was thinking of terry squares because of the price and ease of drying, and because they seem less scary after all these months of cloth, and getting to grips with shaped nappies with a nippa

DS was out of his size 1s before 6 months and would have been fine in them at birth had we been ready with them

MrsBadger Mon 07-Sep-09 15:03:45

yes yes yes to buying second hand, also check out BooCoo Bargains for ex-hire and end-of-line stuff.
But remember you can't buy / sell second hand ones on ebay.

we used one pack of newborn disposables (whcihever ones you get the voucher for in the bounty pack) and after than went into sized two-parters

I think you may have to balance laziness with tightness as AIOs are generally the most expensive (and longest-to-dry) way of doing things. Something like a Bumble + wrap can be used BTP and is much cheaper.

if you can't get to a Nappacino party do the questionnaire on TheNappyLady and see what she comes up with, but I'd really recommend something with a fleece inner (eg Bimbles, Bumbles) as they really do stay drier and it is 100x easier than fannying about with separate fleece liners.

(NB I still use paper ones on holiday but I hate them and all dd's trousers fall down)

somewhathorrified Mon 07-Sep-09 15:03:53

I'm really lucky because my DH should be around pretty much full time for the first 6 weeks of new baby and is one of those guys who will dote on me and baby so not too worried about feeling overwhelmed by new arrival and associated workload...haha I say this now! What I mean is I don't think I'll get put off...er...because he can 'help' (although lessons in using the washing machine may be required...must put that on the list of things to do).

Is it just that it's more work that people put it off then (unless prem) and not for any other reason?

hairybabymum like the idea of the back up disposables as you never can tell.

Octothechildherder Mon 07-Sep-09 15:14:57

I like dream dri btp aio at the moment - although the new gro baby is fab!

MrsBadger Mon 07-Sep-09 15:17:47

all depends on the circumstances

if you are having a hard time with feeding / sleep / reflux / colic / c-section recovery / PND etc etc ie any part of parenthood apart from nappies, then having to do an extra load of laundry every day and get them dry in time for the next change, only to have them pooed all over within 12h, then nappies are a very easy place where you can cut down the work without the baby giving two hoots.

when you don't make it out of your pyjamas till 4pm (if at all) and have eaten nothing but toast and takeaways for a whole week, the last thing you need is a stack of TotsBots smugly (if silently) lecturing you on how un-green you are being.

purplesal Mon 07-Sep-09 16:46:43

I used cloth from Day 4 with DD1 (1st day at home) and from 10 minutes with DD2 - they were both C-sections, although not sure that really makes a difference. I just don't see the point of using disposables for the first 6 weeks. You don't go and buy disposable clothes and plates and cutlery just because you've had a baby. If you're keen to use cloth, then you'll do it. If not then you'll find excuses to use disposables.

Some people are put off BTPs from birth as they might be a bit bulky, but I always say to customers that babies are big for a lot longer than they are tiny. And if you like BTPs then go for it.

Try and see a nappy advisor who wil be able to show you lots of different types and explain them. If you are near Oxfordshire / Berks I'll offer my services! If not find youre nearest on the Go Real website.

thehairybabysmum Mon 07-Sep-09 16:58:31

MrsB is right...also they poo often in those early weeks, every change is a poo (or it was for mine) so it can feel a bit relentless. Disposables are just one less thing to think about in the early days.

They are nowhere near as good though so you will make the switch if you are reasonably motivated which you must be.

Dont buy a load of one type to start with, just one or two of different types to try i would say, or do you know anyone you can borrow from??

Where do you live, im in York if thats any good, i would happily lend a selection of types.

somewhathorrified Tue 08-Sep-09 16:20:57

Sorry for taking ages to get back to you kind ladies and all the help.

I'm currently living in the back of beyond it seems. Small village in North Beds, anyway, I have no nappy advisor within 20 miles, no nappuccino locally either I figure if I use little wraps (size 0 - size 1) with muslins and liners or something similar then at 12lb ish go on to something a bit more permanent, with a pack of disposables that sit at the back of the cupboard for those emergency drying situations...does that sound realistic?

Octothechildherder Tue 08-Sep-09 16:30:20

Good plan - effective yet cheap way to start smile

BeingMother Tue 08-Sep-09 21:40:19

I've been using the Close Parent Pop-In AIO's BTP since about day 7 or so, we'd purchased 2 packs of disposables and waited for all the meconium to clear (and then using up the remainder of what we had) before starting the reusables, as the meconium is rather messy and sticky and a nightmare to wash off. Have been doing pretty well, DS is one month now and yes the extra load every day is a bit of extra work, but worth it IMO (and I had a CS and other than hubby - who is very supportive - have no extra help, no family in the area, etc. etc).

The nappies are good too, we have the odd leak now and again, but less than what we had with the disposables - not sure whether that's just the brand we were using, or whether we were doing something wrong. In any case I'm happy enough with them.

Hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now