Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Has anyone got any Grey Mingers?

(36 Posts)
alysonpeaches Fri 04-Sep-09 21:44:08

Ive invented a new nappy brand "Grey Mingers". I have a thing about whites (nappies or whatever) being grey and hate to see white nappies that havent been washed properly. I had some nappies given, amongst them was a couple of grey tots. I was very grateful for the nappies, dont get me wrong. I also bought some on ebay which were apparently ex demonstrator nappies.

Now I have a decent stock of nappies, when I look at them I just think, "Oh thats a grey minger, Im not using that". But I also have a strange urge to rescue grey mingers. I wash them repeatedly hoping they will come white, hang them in the sun, Ive even soaked one in dilute Milton but its still greyish. They are improving, but still not up to standard. I dont hang them on my line in public view though you understand ...

I believe that some people find it acceptable to just put all the washing in, whites and coloureds, all at once, and not worry about it. I cant cope with that. I blame my mother ...

Do you have any grey mingers? How do you feel about them?

Octothechildherder Fri 04-Sep-09 22:05:07

grin

Hides own pants in shame blush

Octothechildherder Fri 04-Sep-09 22:06:16

I do feel a sense of duty to make them clean again - I don't mix white/colours.

FarkinBarkin Fri 04-Sep-09 22:06:44

For a minute there I thought the title was grey minges.

HelenaBonhamCarter Fri 04-Sep-09 22:07:54

hundreds in the cellar. No idea what to do with them...every time I let the disps run out thinking 'oh they are not that bad, I will make use of them!!' they last two changes before ds has terrible nappy rash and the house stinks of wee.

Ebay don't want them
Nobody wants them

<sobs>

HelenaBonhamCarter Fri 04-Sep-09 22:08:32

we have hard watter btw

tis no good

ravenAK Fri 04-Sep-09 22:17:13

Freecycle them Helena! You'll be rid of them in minutes.

All totsbots turn into grey mingers. I have white, unbleached & rainbow amongst my collection & I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart now!

They are on (at least, some were 2nd hand) their 3rd child & still absolutely fine.

I just wash them with towels & bedding now on a colourfast 60 wash - dd1 is going through a bedwetting phase so dd2's nappies for dd2 go in with her bedding. It's fine. They all came out a fetching shade of mauve the other day, courtesy of dd1's new bedsheet grin. Sadly it's since faded.

Octothechildherder Fri 04-Sep-09 22:17:19

there are charities that will take them to orphanages - there is a thread somehwere - or local real nappy network may take them.

Scotia Fri 04-Sep-09 22:17:46

Dye them grin

CarGirl Fri 04-Sep-09 22:20:53

send them to me for Malawi!!!!

Hard water doesn't help does it, I did find soap nuts made them at least a bit softer.

JennyPenny22 Fri 04-Sep-09 22:50:31

Dylon dye is the answer.

Helena - sounds like your nappies just need stripping.

MoominMymbleandMy Fri 04-Sep-09 22:56:44

I am a sad wretch who likes white nappies to look white and I did have some secondhand white nappies that had obviously gone in a mixed wash many times.

It took a while but leaving them to hang in the sunshine repeatedly and a tablespoon of Sonett bleaching powder in each wash has restored them.

I agree it sounds as though Helena's nappies need stripping.

tutu100 Fri 04-Sep-09 23:02:01

I find ecover laundry bleach works wonders at whitening whites. It was also quite effective when a rogue yellow duster once made it into my white wash (I cried when I emptied my machine of urine coloured white clothing sad). Luckily all has now been restored.

gemmiegoatlegs Fri 04-Sep-09 23:03:14

why not just market grey nappies? they all end up that way in the end anyhow?!

swampster Fri 04-Sep-09 23:06:27

Please tell us more about nappies for Malawi, CarGirl.

CarGirl Fri 04-Sep-09 23:23:43

There is a christian organisation in the UK that has packing groups all over the country (different dominations) and the pack apple crates with clothing that are then sent to Malawi in containers. In Malawi they are distributed by churches free of charge to those in need (which is most of the country), they send out manual sewing machines too so they can build up a trade in the villages to help them towards self sufficieny.

But the nappies......they make up baby "layette" packs, 2 washable nappies, 1 wrap, 1 fastener, a babygro, pair of socks, jumper or cardi & 1 outfit. At the packing group I donate to they all fight over making up the layette packs grin

swampster Fri 04-Sep-09 23:31:22

That's really sweet. When and if I ever manage to sort out my grey mingers I would love them to have a second (or third/fourth/fifth!) life on a baby in Malawi. Where do we send them? Have you thought of forming a Facebook group - or do you already have one?

CarGirl Fri 04-Sep-09 23:37:06

Have no idea about FB groups, will have to look into it. The charity doesn't even have an up and running website although some of the individual packing groups get a web mention through their church's website.

The packers are mainly mature ladies hoping to be grandmas I reckon or reminiscing the terry aquare & plastic pant days.

HelenaBonhamCarter Sat 05-Sep-09 07:58:47

That sounds great Cargirl smile

Could I ask about this stripping thing though? there are some I'd like to hang onto if I can render them useable again sad

I don't know where to start.

CarGirl Sat 05-Sep-09 10:37:17

stripping them:

wash the nappies (not wraps!) at 60 degrees in the washing machine, intensive wash, absolutely no washing powder.

How old is your washing machine and do you put powder/liquid in the drawer as they tend to clog up the pipes and your nappies/clothes end up being rinsed in water that is still full of powder IYSWIM.

duvetheaven Sat 05-Sep-09 10:38:30

Where would I find the address to post the nappies to for Malawian babies please Cargirl??

HelenaBonhamCarter Sat 05-Sep-09 11:47:21

Thankyou Cargirl, it's about 6 years old - I use powder - but didn't while I was using the nappies.

I will try the 60 wash.

TrillianAstra Sat 05-Sep-09 11:57:08

I also thought of grey minges!

alysonpeaches Sat 05-Sep-09 13:40:24

What have I started???

The nappies for Malawi sounds great though and I can give them some prefolds if they take them which AREN't grey. Please publicise the contact.

Grey minges - get them waxed, there's no excuse.

Im also noting Sonett bleaching powder and ecover laundry bleach. Where do you get them from?

CarGirl Sat 05-Sep-09 13:44:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now