Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What age did you potty train your little one?

(66 Posts)
marne Wed 01-Jun-05 15:53:09

My dd loves sitting on her potty, she doesnt know what its for yet as i think she is too young for potty training, shes 16 months old. Is it too early to start?
What age did you potty train your toddler(s)

MarsLady Wed 01-Jun-05 15:54:18

about 2-2.5

AtHomeMum Wed 01-Jun-05 15:58:15

Between 2 & 2.5 for my 3. Tried at 2yrs 4mnths with the middle one & no luck , but a couple of mnths later was very easy - much easier if you wait until they are rteady. Need to be a ble to know they need the potty before it happens, which mine could not do until past 2, otherwsie you are just timing potty to when they might need it & they end up sitting for ages.

tarantula Wed 01-Jun-05 15:59:04

My dd is 16 mnths and has started doing strange things when she doesnt have a nappy on. She wont go poo at all even tho you can see she needs to (she waits till I put a nappy on her) and quite often will run to the kitchen to wee there or will stand in a container to wee (there is an old tray in the garden that she particularly like to wee in). Im thinking of buying her a potty and seeing how she gets on with it tho I cant see her being properly toilet trained for quite a while by any means.

bigdonna Wed 01-Jun-05 16:24:51

my kids were both just turned two.

ambrosia Wed 01-Jun-05 16:28:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

puddle Wed 01-Jun-05 16:29:41

My dd has just cracked it in 2 days at 2.7. I haven't pushed her at all, just waited until she was ready. Made that mistake with ds and had lots of accidents. DD has had one so far (and has been in pants a week).

marne Wed 01-Jun-05 16:37:54

Well done puddle and dd,
Think i will wait until shes a bit older, thanx evryone!

puddle Wed 01-Jun-05 16:39:20

Yes littlepuddle has done well - in fact Nopuddle

Fran1 Wed 01-Jun-05 16:50:20

Let your dd decide.

My dd enjoyed sitting on her potty before bath for some time and then gradually she spent more time out of nappies, she'd have accidents, and thats when she learnt what how why with the wee. Then she discovered that if she weeed on the potty she got lots of attention and it went on from their really. Eventually when she just turned two i felt brave enough to start taking her out without a nappy on.

alibubbles Wed 01-Jun-05 16:58:37

Message withdrawn

laundrylover Wed 15-Jun-05 12:29:25

I am potty training my little girl who is 15 months. She def has bladder control as only wees about 3 times a day! Knows when she needs to go and limited success with the potty but we're persevering. Cloth nappies def help though. Anyone else potty training early (like they did when we were little)?

toothyboy Wed 15-Jun-05 12:57:29

Ds has just about cracked it in the last few weeks. He was 2 in April. He has been weeing in potty before/after bath for months; decided to go for it about 3 weeks ago. It took a couple of days of accidents, but then he caught on; now he'll tell me, wherever we are, if he needs to go (shops, Tumble Tots etc) and we've not had any accidents in public places (yet!).
Marne - I don't think it's too early to encourage dd to sit on the potty at times that you're pretty sure she's going to do something and just see what happens! If the penny drops with her - then perhaps it is time to go for it! If not, then leave it a couple of months then try again - just don't stress about it! Good luck!

bonniej Wed 15-Jun-05 13:00:30

I've made a half hearted attempt with dd who turned 2 last week, but so far she hasn't a clue. She's expressing no interest in the potty at all (even though we've had one around her for a while) and doesn't mind pooing and weeing in her nappy wherever she is (she doesn't take herself off to do it in private, which I've been told is a sign to start). DH thinks we should be starting now but I think we should wait a while until she is more ready, don't want to put her off. Thing is have dd2 due in October and really don't want to be buying 2 sets of nappies

Hulababy Wed 15-Jun-05 21:04:48

My DD had just turned 2 and was definitely ready for it. She was completely dry by day 3.

bensmum3 Fri 17-Jun-05 22:46:16

dd (my 1st) was dry by 18 months during the day, ds (no2) dry by day at 2.5, ds2 nearly 2 now showing an interest in the toilet, but still completely soaking his nappies.
Guess they are all just different and will do potty training in their own time.

bensmum3 Fri 17-Jun-05 22:49:32

Forgot to say, ds1 couldnt get it at all if he had pants on, but was dry if I did'nt put pants on him, but then did a pooh in the library,which just dropped out through his shorts onto the floor

laundrylover Mon 20-Jun-05 14:01:23

We are not doing too bad but mopping up a good bit of wee off the floor still. Decided to just keep going with knickers in the day as with so few wees it doesn't seem worth putting a nappy on her. We had a comedy fountain at the top of the slide this morning at the park! Hope the sun has dried it up by now!

Mandymoo Sun 26-Jun-05 21:01:24

DD is 2.5 and when out in the garden with nothing on she will sit on potty but with knickers on we have accidents and then she gets upset so tbh i am waiting a little bit - hard tho cos most of her friends are already trained and i know you shouldnt compare but its hard not to!!!

Posey Sun 26-Jun-05 21:10:22

Dd was 2 and a bit and ready for it, so practically no accidents.
Ds is now 2.5 and has not got a clue. Will leave it til after our holiday and try then.
Btw ds's friend was dry day and night from about 17m. Just refused to wear a nappy anymore. Brill.

throckenholt Sun 26-Jun-05 21:38:21

just to put the other side - DS1 was just past his 3rd birthday when we told him no more nappies (had tried a couple of times since the age of 2 but no luck.

He was very reluctant (including denying that he had done anything in his pants) but did get there (but has had a few relapses since).

DS2 and 3 (twins) are now 2.5. Keen on the idea but totally clueless as to how it works. We are doing pants when they want to and keeping it low key - but they are really a long way from being "trained" - ie "accidents" very time.

Summer seems the best time because they can go pants/nappy free and seem to get the idea more easily.

stitch Sun 26-Jun-05 21:40:47

i know someone whose dd was potty trained at 18 months.

my boys were both past their 3rd birthdays. dd at 2.4 does not seem to show any inclination to do so. this is the perfect weather totry, but if she isn t ready?

Jiz28 Mon 27-Jun-05 09:12:45

In middle of training 2.5 yr old son (1 week so far). Agree that this time of year makes it easier. Wees fine but No2's are a nightmare ... he doesn't want to admit he wants one, is doing one or has done one! Is this a sign that he is not really ready or do I have to put up with cleanig up this mess for a few more weeks?! Is it worth trying a reward idea / sticker book etc. to crack this bit?

Enid Mon 27-Jun-05 09:45:51

dd2 is 3 in October so that makes her, hold on, 2.9 months? anyway I am sick of her wearing nappies so have put her in pants today, told her no more nappies, if she goes on the potty she gets a smily face on her chart and if she gets lots of faces she gets a toy.

She is totally ready, has amazing control but is just bloody stubborn about using the potty and is scared of the big loo.

anyway, I have run away to work and left he childminder to cope with it

but I feel very determined this time, I have made that decision in my own mind and now she has to go with it. I am giving it a week...

OldieMum Mon 27-Jun-05 10:29:31

We have been doing potty-training with DD (who is 2.5) for a week and a half. She seems to be getting the idea - no accidents at the weekend. We bought a potty a long time ago, so it's a familiar object. She used it before her baths for a few weeks. Then the nursery got her to use a potty a few times in the day and this encouraged me to experiment with getting her to use the potty all the time. I just waited until she seemed ready. I have no deadlines or timetables and I'd be happy to put her back in nappies if she wants this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now