Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Pocket nappies on ebay.

(28 Posts)
ThePinkOne Thu 03-Sep-09 21:47:50

Has anyone tried any nappies like this?

They look like copies of pocket tots or something. Worth a try do you reckon?

purplesal Fri 04-Sep-09 06:52:40

They look like copies of Fuzzis!

4andnotout Fri 04-Sep-09 07:16:14

I recently recieved some that are identical to those but another brand (cheap unknown bb rainbows) and they are fantastic, i have to use a hemp or bamboo booster in them with the mf inserts but tbh i would do that with any mf insert. They seem good for the money.

BabyBots have started stocking coolababy for around £5.50 each, they are the same sort of nappy

HTH

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 08:01:26

they look more like wonderoos to me....

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 08:03:18

if nappies are cheap i always question where they are made and in what conditions. I was offered to stock some cheap nappies that were made in china btu the supplier could not give and guarnatees or answer questions on what conditions they were made in but as they were so cheap i could only speculate so kept away.

LittleBots Fri 04-Sep-09 08:27:13

Hiya,

A bit of a newbie here but been lurking for ages.

To be honest i think in this current climate its the cost of the nappy thats appealing, i agree in the back of my mind though it does make me wonder how they are made and would ask excatly that question.

But at the moment people want cheap cloth and these chinese brands all seem to work as well as the big brands so its hard to say no!

Coolababy among others are popular at the moment for that same reason.

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 08:33:08

ive never heard of them myself so cant comment, as a cloth retailer i am just aware of these issues as my customers often ask the same question. Yes i can see how a cheap priced nappy is atrractive to the customers.

Babybots Fri 04-Sep-09 08:59:46

I have had discussions with the coolababy manufacturer about the conditions and also carried out some research of my own and it all seems good.

When it comes to products from China, we all know that they are cheaper to make there and then have huge markups added when sold in the UK, take some electronic products as an example, I am sure that it probably cost no more then a few quid to make an ipod, yet they cost a fortune here.

The majority of products from china cost similar to make so a coolababy will cost somewhere in the same region to make as a new to the UK brand that I wont mention (yes they are made in China), its just that not all retailers/manufacturers are greedy and slap big markups on them.

There is approx a £12 difference in retail on these two products, guess who most of this is going to, and its not the machinist.

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 09:14:02

Hiya - im confused now did you just name change or are you littlebots too? grin. Yes i hear what your saying and its great you know that . Your right though and it does miff me about most mark ups as lets faceit selling cloth nappies isnt lucrative for the retailers at all!

Babybots Fri 04-Sep-09 09:19:15

No name change here, littlebots is in no way connected with me

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 09:23:58

no worries just wondred smile. I havent been over the nappy bit for a bit as tent to lutter about mumsnet - all these other sellers keep popping up - we should have our own forum lol!

Babybots Fri 04-Sep-09 09:29:17

nappyzone - there is one!! would you like to come and join us? there is a few sellers from here on there.

http://clothsellers.forumotion.net/forum.htm

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 09:45:11

oooooo i might pop over......

purplesal Fri 04-Sep-09 17:00:31

I was once offered a free day trip (!!!) to Pakistan to check out a factory by a large nappy manufacturer (won't name names but if you know who makes nappies in Pakistan...) but I said that would't really show me anything as they can keep all their underage workers away that day / shorten the day or whatever. You need to go and visit for at least few days or commission someone to undertake a comprehensive ethical audit. But I agree that taking aside the conditions that they are being made there is also teh issue of flying things around the world. I undertsand that Bumgenius nappies are made in Egypt, airfreighted to the US to then be airfreighted to the UK. That's not right!!!!

geraldinetheluckygoat Fri 04-Sep-09 17:05:14

I got some similar to these they worked fine.

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 17:41:10

nah surely they come egypt to ireland or they would get hammered customs? but yes i get your drift regards conditions - its like when they come and do a investor in people or such other crap at work and we all smile and act happy a day then go back to being miserable as sin grin

alysonpeaches Fri 04-Sep-09 21:30:24

Putting aside all ethical considerations ...

I have often wondered about the nappies you see on ebay from Hong Kong or China which are really cheap. They look similar to the ones above. I just didnt entertain them because I thought oh they are so cheap they cant be any good. I also thought as they are all so brightly coloured, if they are made of cheap stuff the colour might run all over my decent nappies. Also I presume absorbency isnt that good.

Has anyone actually bought and used some? Which ones? What are they like?

Babybots Fri 04-Sep-09 23:19:28

alysonpeaches - I use Coolababy as part of our stash now. They genuinely last my 9 month old a good 4 hours with out leaking with just the standard insert. I think if you have a heavy wetter you may need to boost it. But since they are not expensive you can always invest in some extra boosters.

The colours are as bold as in the pictures and haven't run. I've got Purple and dark blue i've not noticed the colours run yet, i must say though i did give them a rinse on their own first to be sure.

hth

yummyspottyblueberry Sat 05-Sep-09 00:55:09

Dont do it pink - have FB you

alysonpeaches Sat 05-Sep-09 15:06:59

Are coolababy the same as the ones in the OP though?

What is size like for larger bums? I have 2 year old as well as 11 month old in cloth. I have plenty of boosters so could boost them up.

Babybots Sat 05-Sep-09 16:22:31

Coolababy are not the ones from the OP they have just been used as an example of a product from china

rachelinscotland Sat 05-Sep-09 21:24:10

The one in the OP looks identical to ones that are also sold direct from China/Hong Kong, but are called "BabyLand". I'm not usually one who likes stuff from China, but seeing the price of a 8 or 12 pack of them, I thought surely everyone should be using pocket nappies at that price! So I contacted the seller on ebay and asked if they ever sold single samples, as I was rather curious to see what a nappy was like bought direct from China! They said if I bought some bra clips from them (!! LOL) that I could have a free sample. So 3 quid or so posted for the clips was good for a free nappy. Turned out they forgot to include the nappy - so I only got bra clips! But they promptly sent a nappy on its own when I let them know about it.

Anyway, I'm quite sure it's the exact nappy in the photo from the above link. I've got a yellow one. I thought it looked very much like the newer one-sized Fuzzis, hence why I wanted to try one. Inserts aren't up to much, not sure they'd last my little boy for one wee - but then again, probably a single fuzzi insert wouldn't either! As for fit, it's not bad. A bit of sagging in the front under the wings - not sure if that makes sense, or correct terms? They're a bit thinner PUL compared to a Fuzzi, but did work well when I stuffed with a prefold - no leaks. But wouldn't say it looks as neat a tidy as a Fuzzibunz - though I'm yet to try a one-sized Fuzzi - only tried the sized ones, which are just about the only pockets I ever liked.

But yeah, I can see these working as a pocket system for someone who is short of cash, slim fitting and waterproof - though I haven't used it very much (so don't know how hard wearing they are), as we're mainly using fitteds. The fleece inner is also a lot thinner - not quite see-thru, but thinner and also stretchy. I read reviews from an American site about Babyland nappies and it seems as if they used to be of poorer quality. Some people had them wreck very quickly after they got them, but later people seemed to report that they were OK quality now, so not sure if they just vary or got better!

They do label them as only being able to be washed at 30 degrees! But I've done it at 60 with no problems.

mumface Sat 05-Sep-09 21:53:49

Alyson RE Coolababy on bigger bums, I use them on my 29lb 2 and a half year old and theres loads of popper room left to use.I put a hemp insert in too.They are very good.

alysonpeaches Sun 06-Sep-09 12:01:56

Right, our 2 year old weighs about 24lb so they are likely to fit, mumface. Rachelinscotland, I am grateful to you for your indepth review. I am holding off for a while, although I am not short of inserts now, I have loads of hemp and bamboo boosters plus prefolds. I have to confess to awaiting the delivery of a bargain batch of Dream Dri pop ins... We have a house full of tots bots which I am now using full time, but the older one is better in a popper nappy. I only have a few popper tots bots.

If anyone takes the plunge and buys some, post a review. Alternatively, we could always share a batch of them!

alysonpeaches Sun 06-Sep-09 13:27:24

If you do a search for babyland on ebay you can buy them singly, as a 99p bid, but the postage is either £3 or 3.99 cant remember which. I might try just one. They have some mixed reviews on the US sites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now