Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which are the slimmest fitting cloth nappies?

(27 Posts)
Habbibu Mon 31-Aug-09 13:10:54

I know this seems - is, in fact - pathetically shallow, but the main thing that puts me off some cloth nappies is the bulky shape of some of them. I'm keen to use them with next dc (after a few weeks - am chickening out on "from birth") but would like to get as slim-fitting as possible. Thanks.

hambo Mon 31-Aug-09 13:11:59

I love the mother ease ones with poppers at the top. They are very slim.

Also tots bots ones made from bamboo....

hambo Mon 31-Aug-09 13:12:49

also the ME ones can be used 'from birth' (although I agree, I started after about a week.)

Habbibu Mon 31-Aug-09 13:13:24

How speedy! Thank you.

hambo Mon 31-Aug-09 13:14:37

Yes - I am probably meant to be washing my nappies or something other than this - ho hum!

BikeRunSki Mon 31-Aug-09 13:15:12

I used Imse Vimse contours, which are slim (flannel not towelling), but tricky to put on a very wiggly baby. The nappies themselves have no closures, you hold them in place with the wrap. Works suprisingly well once on wriggler.

Octothechildherder Mon 31-Aug-09 13:51:01

Itti Bitti are really popular - very cute and slim fitting. I also like the easyfits.

Habbibu Mon 31-Aug-09 16:04:58

Many thanks - that helps narrow (if you'll excuse the pun) down the choices.

dippymummyto2boys Mon 31-Aug-09 16:26:25

ittis, ella's house hemp day fitteds, sweetiebums, bamboo MEOS, Wee Notions AI2s

4andnotout Mon 31-Aug-09 16:36:29

I like Weenotions,upsydaisy's,itti bitti's (my faves!) and blueberries

mantaray Mon 31-Aug-09 16:43:45

Ella's House- super thin, very absorbant...thinner than Ittis IMO.

swampster Mon 31-Aug-09 17:11:06

Itti are about as slim as they get. And small Ittis are gorgeous on small babies. Ella's House are way bigger cause they are two-parters (need a wrap). and they never held a newborn poo for us I also don't find them very absorbent compared to something like a Baby Beehinds bamboo and my Ella's House go the crunchiest of any nappy I've ever used unless tumbled.

Sized nappies rather than birth-to-potty options will be slimmer fitting - Bumgenius all-in-ones should be pretty good on tiny ones but I used the birth-to-potty pocket BGs from a couple of weeks and didn't find them too bulky.

For a two-part system, XS Sandy's are lovely on a newborn - cotton Sandy's are not very absorbent in my experience but they don't have to be when they are little - they do bamboo Sandy's these days which must be brilliant. Airflow wraps with them make a pretty bombproof combo but Airflows are quite ugly I think - the new Totsbots wraps work well and are much better looking.

Habbibu Tue 01-Sep-09 19:39:19

Brilliant, many thanks. It does require A Lot of research, doesn't it?

swampster Tue 01-Sep-09 19:44:15

grin Make sure you research properly and try at least one of everything, Habbibu. Then come join the addicts over here. grin

alysonpeaches Tue 01-Sep-09 22:17:10

Motherease Sandy's small size are slim.

alysonpeaches Tue 01-Sep-09 22:17:44

Should have read Sandy's Bamboo!

Habbibu Tue 01-Sep-09 22:20:39

"one of everything"??? <faints>

Habbibu Tue 01-Sep-09 22:21:12

And alyson - thanks for adding to my bewilderment, you fiend.

swampster Wed 02-Sep-09 01:03:09

One of everything was a joke - well, half a joke because cloth nappies can be really fun - and addictive if you are a lunatic .

Would you consider preloved fluff? Loads of places to buy second hand, including here. These are a pretty good deal if you want slim two-parters but they are small, not XS which are gorgeous for the first couple of months (or weeks if you get a chunker).

Can post links to other places for preloved if you are interested - or someone else will.

swampster Wed 02-Sep-09 01:20:43

And they are alyson's!!! Go, on, treat yourself.

Habbibu Wed 02-Sep-09 13:57:40

Preloved is fine - baby likely to be big, mind (dd was 10lb 11oz at birth) and I will be using disposables for the first few weeks (chicken emoticon). More links would be great, thanks.

MrsJamin Wed 02-Sep-09 14:08:11

Itti Bitti all the way, I love them, they are the slimmest I've seen and don't give that tellytubby cloth nappy look at all. I've not had much trouble finding clothes that fit over them.

swampster Wed 02-Sep-09 20:28:41

OK!

Ittis are £11.59 at Babybots which is the best value I've seen. And Babyots is a MNer.

Cloth Nappy Tree has a great buying and selling forum for preloved but can't get on the site right now. I think I like it best of all.

UK Parents Lounge and The Nappy Site are also good but you'll often find the same stuff there as on CNT as people often list in several places.

The Used Nappy Company is a bit of a clunky auction site with an awful name but can be handy.

Cloth Nappy Addicts is a fun place to chat nappies. You can also buy and sell there BUT you need to have about a million posts before you are allowed to.

LOTS of groups on Facebook, some spin-offs from websites - eg CNT has a FB group.

Incidentally, my DS still fits in a small Itti at seven months and about 15lb. People do try going straight to medium but I think they'd be quite leaky on a small baby cause of the bigger legholes.

I do think of Ittis as gorgeous little posing pouches - I find other nappies last longer but no nappies are more strokeably lovely and petite

If you do go for Ittis, extra inserts are great even if you don't pull out the wet inserts and reuse the outers because the outers dry so much more quickly than the inserts.

This has taken me so long to write someone else has probably beaten me to it!

MrsJamin Thu 03-Sep-09 09:22:10

My DS was in medium IBDLs from 3 months, Smalls just wouldn't have been worth it compared to cost of disposables for 3 months, especially considering how many you'd need for newborns that poo every 5 minutes. My DS still fits his mediums at 20 months old so they have a really long fitting time. They have lasted ages - hopefully til the end of potty training #2!

Habbibu Thu 03-Sep-09 10:14:33

This has been tremendously helpful, thanks all, and many thanks for the detailed links post, swampster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now