Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Washing Cloth nappies- again sorry!!

(8 Posts)
shoppingmad Thu 27-Aug-09 13:18:12

I posted on here a while back about having problems getting my one life nappies clean. Had some brilliant tips which i have followed carefully.
I was using way too much detergent thinking that the more I bunged in the better the nappies would be. I have since stripped the nappies, rinsed and washed to get them back to a lovely fluffy, soft, smell free nappy so was very pleased.
But, I am back to sqaure one after washing them yesterday.
I dry pail now and rinse the nappies a couple of times before doing a 60 degree wash with one tab non-bio but the nappies stank of wee coming out of the machine. I gave them another rinse which made no difference and then put them on a 30 degree wash with no powder, again the smell was still there.
What am I doing wrong? I am starting to lose heart with them and have 3 kids so need to do lots of washing. My machine is 3 months old and gets all our other clotes very clean.
Anyone else had a similar problem? Is this common for onelife?

shoppingmad Thu 27-Aug-09 21:00:32

Anyone??

caen Thu 27-Aug-09 21:01:05

My nappies often smell funny coming out of the machine but after a line dry they smell fine. Switching to Ecover seems to have got rid of a lot of the smells.

KirstyJC Fri 28-Aug-09 10:48:35

How many days' worth of nappies are you putting in the machine? I sometimes overload it and then they sometimes don't get as clean. I find anything over 2/3 of a full load is too much, and about half a load is better.

I also find that microfibre nappies hold the smell more - I only have 2 which I don't use much but I really notice they are a bit whiffy coming out of the machine. Air-drying seems to sort it mostly. Are yours microfibre?

You do seem to be doing a lot of washing with them - I don't even rinse mine, just stick them on a 40 wash with an occasional 60. Have you tried Ecover bleach powder? You can add a small shake with your washing powder; I add it to Ecover liquid and it all seems to work.

shoppingmad Fri 28-Aug-09 11:11:08

Thanks for that am starting to lose faith but will stick with it for a while.
Just found itti bitti nappies they look amazing. might have to invest!!

Octothechildherder Fri 28-Aug-09 12:54:53

Some of mine are fine - others look terrible - brown like!

Have you tried a laundry bleach like lollipop clean & fresh or mio fresh sanitiser?

shoppingmad Mon 31-Aug-09 14:22:07

No but I will give it a go thankyou.

ilovespagbol Wed 09-Sep-09 22:59:47

Napisan is cheap and cheerful and should do the trick, available from most supermarkets too. Agree about line drying too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now