Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Am I the only one using terry squares and plastic pants?

(19 Posts)
knuttynina Tue 25-Aug-09 17:33:20

Am I the only one using terry nappies and plastic pants on both DC? Most of my friends use disp. and think I'm mad! I may be old fashioned, but I've been influenced by my MIL who bought me some terry squares to start me off just before DS1 was born. I find that they're the most versatile and cheapest nappy system around, easy to fold to fit different shapes and sizes, quick drying, can be passed on to the next DC, even found DH washing the car with one the other day!

MmmEggs Tue 25-Aug-09 17:44:44

Nope, there are a few of you about The rest of us are just too seduced by shaped fluff

craftynclothy Tue 25-Aug-09 17:45:56

I started off using terry squares and plastic pants on dd1 but found after a few weeks she was a bit skinny legged and the plastic pants were leaking. A friend (hi Octo grin) lent me some motherease wraps, then sold me her motherease sandys and since then I became addicted to the modern nappies blush.

We did use the terries though when we went on holiday.

We used them to wrap dd2's placenta in after she was born 2 weeks ago and it ruined them.

4andnotout Tue 25-Aug-09 18:02:29

I had them for dd1 and dd2 but maxxed out on pretty fluff for dd3 and dd4!

Octothechildherder Wed 26-Aug-09 13:55:50

grin LOL CnC - look where you are now! Congrats btw grin

I love terry squares - not a plastic pant fan tho! There are so many nicer options! Prefolds too have magical abilities!

ChocOrange05 Wed 26-Aug-09 14:10:01

Yes, if its only me and you in the world wink, I like pretty soft bums in Itti's and Blueberries grin

Reallytired Wed 26-Aug-09 21:24:08

I love terries, but I use nappi nippas and motherease wraps. I like the neat nappy fold although I did use the origami fold for a bit.

Terries are great. They are effective on both a small baby and toddler. They also dry quickly and are cheap to buy. They are enviromentally friendly as well as cheap. Also my terries are very durable. The terries I used on my son are still in perfect condtion for my daughter.

Maybe Itti's and Blueberries are pretty, but they are quite expensive. I don't understand why anyone would spend over 20 quid on a nappy.

www.babykind.co.uk/blueberryISminkisidesnaporder.php

It seems a complete and utter waste of money when it is just going to get covered in baby sh!t. Its not as if anyone gets to see the nappy other than the person who changes it.

I would rather spend the money on baby clothes which get seen in public.

newspaperdelivery Wed 26-Aug-09 21:27:40

<<strokes fluffy bum>>

dd2's, not her own wink

morocco Wed 26-Aug-09 21:30:34

I started off on the squares and plastic pants but the plastic pants are pretty nasty tbh - soon switched to wraps. still got the nappies - they've got years of life ahead as general wipes etc

wastingmyevening Wed 26-Aug-09 21:30:57

I use terries with Motherease Airflow wraps and Nippas, though I bought some proper pins in case MIL wouldn't use the Nippa. grin

I have a couple of shaped nappies, but I much prefer the terries.

I've a wool wrap to try out, hope it works ok, as it looks so comfy.

knuttynina Thu 27-Aug-09 08:32:00

Thanks for all the feedback. It's great to know I'm not alone. I found Boots plastic pants to be OK, cheap but still quite good quality, with nice soft leg openings which don't cause red marks on DS2. I've also got some Disana pull on pants from Twinkle Twinkle which are good quality, and roomy to cover a bulky nappy, especially at night. I don't get on with Nippas, and prefer tradtional nappy pins, because I normally use the kite fold, which needs to be pinned each side on DS2, who is still in night nappies at nearly 4. Does anyone know where you can buy those extra large nappy pins for use with toddler size nappies?

LackaDAISYcal Tue 01-Sep-09 16:04:27

I've got a few terries and used to use them a lot, but never with plastic pants....shaped wraps are so much more reliable and easier (especially where yukky, squidgy poo is concerned)

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 01-Sep-09 16:06:08

I used terries and plastic pants for all 4 of mine. And pins.
Mothercare used to do plastic pants that had poppers so you could undo them and not drag the poo all down the legs. A pre-cursor to the wrap maybe?

purplesal Tue 01-Sep-09 18:24:07

Did you know that if you run your pin through a bar of soap, or through your hair near the scalp it will slide more easily through the fabric?!! It's true!

LackaDAISYcal Tue 01-Sep-09 18:26:16

lol purplesal, I remember that from the days when my big sis used pins and plastic pants (DN is now 24!!)

alysonpeaches Tue 01-Sep-09 22:21:28

I used them for my first two many moons ago. I got some 3 years ago for DD2 but was dismayed that they were nothing like the Harringtons gold seal I had years ago. I am still influenced by them and tend to prefer shaped nappies made of terry, and love snowy white nappies.

foxytocin Tue 01-Sep-09 22:25:19

I am using muslin squares and mother ease wraps. In the middle east I found some awesome nappy pins like my mum used with my baby brother and brought them home. <nostalgic>

knuttynina Sun 06-Sep-09 09:28:30

I don't whether it's me, or Mumsnet have changed their setup, but I'm finding it more difficult to navigate around the website. I've just started another thread on the subject of waterproof pants, asking whether anyone knows where you can get "Gerber" pull-on pants, which are made in the USA. My SIL gave me some and they're great, very good quality. Also, if anyone knows where you can get larger size nappy pins, please let me know.

foxytocin Sun 06-Sep-09 09:43:47

I got larger sized nappy pins in Abu Dhabi. grin

Gerber does not trade in the UK afaik. I believe they were recently bought out by Nestlé.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now