Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusable nappy gurus, please help me! Previously wonderful nappies not lasting the distance

(7 Posts)
Hopefully Mon 24-Aug-09 22:38:46

We started out with Tots Bots bamboozles, which were fine when DS was newborn, but quickly didn't cope with his wetting, so we moved onto medium itti bitti d'lish, which were brilliant, never leaked, generally wonderful.

Inevitably, DS grew and we moved into the large itti bittis, which were fine for perhaps 2 months, but now just aren't lasting (he is now 11 months). They are rarely lasting more than 3 hours, and it's a rare day that we don't get a leak.

No matter how I fasten them there seems to be a gap either side of the crotch, and even if I'm very careful to ensure that everything is tucked in place, he quite often manages to wee out the side!

Incidentally, he's not crawling/walking yet, so he's somewhat... chubby... so I suppose he might slim down a bit, but not sure if that will help. He's enormous though (tall as well as fat) and into 12-18/18-24 month clothes

So, any ideas how to either improve the itti bittis, or any recommendations for replacements? Or even just some sympathy!

MoominMymbleandMy Tue 25-Aug-09 03:18:22

Lots of sympathy because it is very frustrating.

I like pocket nappies and snap-in nappies like Ittis for the change bag and for my toddler to potter around in when it's hot.

But they don't last as long as a two-part system so I know they have to be changed more frequently.

It sounds as though the Ittis just aren't the right shape any more so I'd put them aside for the moment or sell them - you wouldn't have any trouble because Ittis are very popular.

The most reliable nappies I know of are plain boring two-part systems of a cloth nappy covered by a Motherease wrap, either Rikki or Airflow. They are bombproof wraps and I use them over my Bamboozles and Motherease one size nappies.

If you don't want to use a two part system, what about a pocket like Blueberrys or Minkis? They're good but I always put extra boosters in both of them. Blueberrys come with a hemp and microfibre insert but I stuff a bamboo one in as well and that does seem to work very well.

Octothechildherder Tue 25-Aug-09 08:15:25

If you wanted to save money - you could put a cover over the itti. again a rikki or onelife popper cover.

Why not try an easyfit or a blueberry - the latter are very expensive though! But the inserts are fab. Have you tried bambinex btp bamboo?

ChocOrange05 Tue 25-Aug-09 13:35:06

Hopefully when you put the Itti on DS put your finger underneath the popper fasteners on either side, where they connect and pull the fabric with the girl poppers (girl poppers are the ones with holes and the boy ones are pointy out like TV connection sockets IYSWIM) up so it tightens around the legs. Also pull the whole thing up when its on.

Do you use liners, make sure they aren't sticking out at all as this always causes leakages for me.

Failing all that, I am going to need some large Itti's soon for DS so CAT me and I may be interested in buying them.

If you want new nappies I find the Tots Bots Easyfit really good as they are more fitted around the leg.

Hopefully Wed 26-Aug-09 09:31:18

Thanks for all the tips! DS currently in disposables (second pack ever, grrrr) due to horrendous nappy rash - I don't want to get thick gloopy magic cream all over his reusables!

As soon as he's back in reusables (today, if the sun comes out long enough to dry them) I'll try all your tips, and if they are still horrendous I might (sob!) have to contemplate selling them.

ChocOrange05 Wed 26-Aug-09 09:48:45

Hopefully if you're worried about nappy cream on disposables you can get flushable liners - I think you can buy these in big Boots

twoclimbingboys Thu 27-Aug-09 11:05:57

I had to sell our large ittis as I had these issues with Blake when he was 9 or 10 months old. I got fed up of Builder's Bum and poop leaks.

If you are looking for another AI2 system then Wee Notions AI2's are fab. Blake has one on today and I have just changed the inserts and re-used the outer so they don;t work out too expensive.

I actually prefer 2 parters the majority of the time though now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now