Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How to have a better nappy change

(17 Posts)
alux Sun 29-May-05 21:34:15

My little 5 wk old screams blue murder with every nappy change. She goes red and purple all over and looks physically petrified of what is being done to her. There has been no improvement in her coping with it.

Any hints on how to make it a more peaceful and possibly enjoyable experience for both of us?

Flossam Sun 29-May-05 21:44:46

Talking her through it in a sing song voice? Kissing tootsies? Singing? You've probably tried all three but thats all I can think of!

fairydust Sun 29-May-05 21:45:26

we're do you change her??

Flossam Sun 29-May-05 21:47:48

Fairy dust, sorry blatent high jack, do you know if John lewis definately have those photo frames? Sorry have been bumping other thread!

alux Sun 29-May-05 21:52:42

I change her on a table on a changing mat with a flannel between her and the cold plastic. Not in the freezer compartment as you would think by her screams.

Gwenick Sun 29-May-05 21:54:24

my DS1 screamed every nappy change until he was about 7 or 8 months old when he suddenly started enjoying it, we tried everything to no avail.

DS2 was the opposite way round, he would just lie there happily gurgling........until he hit 7 or 8 months - then started screaming and now he's 18 months he still usually screams.

I don't think there's anything you can do really (IME) just try and make the changes as quick as possible.

fairydust Sun 29-May-05 21:54:36

alux - gosh hard one then will have a think.

Flossam - not 100% sure but that's we're we go for soemtihg special / different and 9/10 times come home with something

Flossam Sun 29-May-05 21:58:37

thanx fd!

alux Mon 30-May-05 07:54:07

thans gwenick. that's what i try to do. will still try to fool her that she could like this.

eidsvold Mon 30-May-05 10:56:27

If you have a change table - is it possible to put a mobile above it to give the baby something to look at. I made some cloth covers for my change mat and put a terry nappy over that for extra warmth now it is heading towards winter. I tickle toes, chat away to dd2.

Toothache Mon 30-May-05 10:58:44

Alux - My dd was a bit like that too. It just seemed to stop all of a sudden though. Now she's nearly 10mths I've got to tie her arms and legs to temporary wooden stakes hammered into the living room floor to get her nappy change!

hunkermunker Mon 30-May-05 11:11:32

Is she hungry when she's being changed? DS used to poo as he woke, then by the time I was halfway through the change, he was STARVING, so he yelled. Then he started waking before he was absolutely desperate to be fed and changes were fine.

How is she in the bath? Perhaps she just doesn't like being naked (not that I'm suggesting you strip her to change her nappy - although with newborn poo that's sometimes all you can do!) - some babies don't.

motherpeculiar Mon 30-May-05 11:29:35

i'd try the mobile idea too Alux - we have one with some music we can turn on if DD is fussing. However I do think some babies just don't like this - my first DD cried every time for months. It is hard, but it does stop. Good luck.

babaworshipper Mon 30-May-05 11:40:59

mine did this and then stopped sometime about 8 to 10 weeks I think. She just hated being faffed with the whole clothes on and off thing just drove her nuts.

It wore off eventually. I just changed her as fast as I possibly could and then cuddled her better (awwww). I also used the least faffy clothes we had. Hope it gets better.

fisil Mon 30-May-05 12:13:18

We find ds (3 weeks) is a little calmer if he catches sight of the picture we have put up next to his face on the changing mat. We've put a baby book with bold black and white patterns. If it catches his eye he just stares instead of screaming!

jojo76 Mon 30-May-05 13:23:41

mine did this too, at every change, hes ten weeks now and hes getting better all the time, but id say he screamed everytime till he was about seven weeks or so. I think its the messing about and the nakedness that peed him off!! Singing sometimes helped and also talking in a really excited voice to him before he got going sometimes distracted him. He is getting to the point now where he gurgles and quite enjoys it now...unless i take too long... so take heart, it does get better!!!

gingernut Mon 30-May-05 19:26:26

Little ones often detest changes: they just hate being undressed and messed around with IYSWIM. You might find she settles down after a bit.

As they get a bit older they find changes boring though - they want something to play with or look at. I often change my ds2 on his playgym. I pop a travel change mat (£2 from Mothercare) underneath him and hey presto, a changing mat with built-in mobile and lots of toys to interest him during the change. Works a treat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now