Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Asking for info

(14 Posts)
dawntigga Mon 24-Aug-09 18:54:38

Am thinking of going with re-useables very soon. DS is 18 weeks old, I've never been a mum before and until 18 weeks ago had never held a baby let alone anything else.

What I'd like to know is:

What do I need for the basics?

How many nappies will he need?

Act as if I know nothing about re-useable nappies - cos I don't!

LookingForwardToGivingThisATryTiggaxx

Octothechildherder Tue 25-Aug-09 09:42:44

I would recommend seeing a nappy advisor - there are loads of nappies out there and seeing an advisor/borrowing a trial kit etc will give you a clear idea of what you get on with. Lollipop have advisors across the country - there are other compnaies too. Or contact your local council and see if they run a scheme/cashback etc.

Basically:
20 nappies
4 covers
liners
washable wipes
wet bag
sanitiser

Come onto the general chat thread for nappies - we all use cloth nappies and have tried most of them!

ChocOrange05 Tue 25-Aug-09 09:57:46

Dawn I used reuseables from birth for DS but at the beginning we used a nappy laundry service which was a great introduction. When we moved to reuseables I decided to use Birth to Potty All in Ones as I thought this was the most cost efficient way over the next 2/3 years (however long DS is in nappies), apart from my Itti Bitti's which are a pure aesthetic purchase grin.

So I have, which last fine if I wash every other day and we use about 6 a day:

- 5 itti bitti's + additional inserts (so you can reuse them if the insert is just wet)
- 4 Tots Bots AIO's - great nappies and BTP so these are my top recommendation
- 1 BumGenius BTP - not so keen on this one personally
- 4 Blueberry Minkies - lovely and soft and really absorbant.

So that does make about 20 as Octo said. Before DS was weaned I didn't use liners as his poo was so runny they didn't help but now he is having solid poos (what a lovely thing to talk about grin) I do use them as its much easier to chuck it in the toilet.

HTH

nappyzoneisback Tue 25-Aug-09 10:16:13

Hello dawntigga - there are a few different systems - wrap and shaped, pop in, all in one and pockets. Each to there own but i personally loved pocket nappies and as alot of the ones i used were birth to potty i ddint have to upgrade the size every few months. There are some mumsnetters who run cloth nappy businesses <cough cough> who are more than happy to give free impartial advise and then there are the million lolipop advisors who hang out here who will also give you some good advise. hea mount you need will depend on you drying facilities and system you go with as some materials take longer to dry than others so you would need more.

To store your soiled nappies you will need a airtight lidded container - you can buy fancy pants nappy buckets but i found an asda toy storage plastic lidded box did the trick for me.

Bumgenius are very wasy to use, ittis are lovely too as are many others. You need to have a good search around and try a few different ones.

Enjoy

ChocOrange05 Tue 25-Aug-09 13:30:21

nappyzone / dawntigger, I don't store my nappies anywhere, I just put them in the washing machine and shut the door and then when I have enough for a load I put it on. I find this much easier than having a separate nappy bin.

dawntigga Tue 25-Aug-09 14:04:04

Where is the chat thread - am V stupid and can't find it.

HaveToGoSortOutDSTiggaxx

ChocOrange05 Tue 25-Aug-09 14:09:46

Here

dawntigga Tue 25-Aug-09 15:49:20

Ta muchly

TireTiggaxx

nappyzoneisback Tue 25-Aug-09 17:13:32

choc but what happens when you need to put a normal load of washing on - do you keep removing the rammy nappies?

MmmEggs Tue 25-Aug-09 17:16:27

I was wondering that too about storing them in the machine...

ChocOrange05 Tue 25-Aug-09 17:30:31

I wash everything together - is that not done??? hmm

nappyzoneisback Tue 25-Aug-09 17:32:26

i never did it because i was worried as i use alot more detergent in a normal wash that there would be a build up in my nappies and dh wouldntbe too impressed if he started finding raisins in his shirts grin. I washed every 4/5 days so always had enough to justify a full purpose nappy wash.

MmmEggs Tue 25-Aug-09 17:35:09

Aaaah!

No, I was a wash sep person too, again for build up reasons, and I use softener in my normal wash.

ChocOrange05 Tue 25-Aug-09 18:03:34

Hmm, I just do smaller loads and use half the detergent and its only me, DH and DS so sometimes I only do a wash every other day. I use liners to remove the gunk. No raisins in shirts yet grin.

I figure if I'm using the same machine to wash clothes and nappies why not do them together???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now