Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

potty training...this weekend is the one where we go for it.

(15 Posts)
darlingbud Fri 27-May-05 22:11:45

I have bought pants, cleaning things, made a start chart, got the potties, small (but healthy) treats as bribes!!

We are starting tomorrow and spending all weekend at is as I am not back at work until Wednesday.

Is there anything else I need?

darlingbud Fri 27-May-05 23:35:56

anyone...don't want to miss anything.

Yorkiegirl Fri 27-May-05 23:38:40

Message withdrawn

darlingbud Fri 27-May-05 23:39:05

made that.

darlingbud Sat 28-May-05 21:54:03

well we did it - first day of potty tyraining and we got a poo and half past 5. No wee's yet though. Feel more positive about tomorrow.

yingers74 Sun 29-May-05 13:46:28

How is it going? We also started but have come to the conclusion that our dd is not ready, or perhaps we are not ready!

Our major prob was that she was happy to sit in potty but would not do anything in the potty, but instead waited until she got up and moved away to do anything. Even when we got to her with the potty she resisted sitting down until she was done and then she was quite happy to sit on it again. Any tips? We are leaving it to the summer hols now as my stress is so high that I need a break.

darlingbud Mon 30-May-05 19:37:41

3rd day and a few accidents today. She is ok when I put her on the potty-she will do either a wee or poo after a few minutes - however she doesn't ask for the potty herself. She waits until she wees then as she feels it tells me she's doing it by which time its too late.

Any advice anyone - shall I persevere with it?

yingers74 Mon 30-May-05 19:56:28

how old is she?

darlingbud Mon 30-May-05 20:06:08

2.5 in June.

Bramshott Wed 01-Jun-05 11:51:09

We started on Thurs, as I was off work till today. DD is 2.5 in July. I can't really work out if we're doing well - like you, my DD 'performs' when I put her on the potty/toilet, and only seems to go every 2 hours or so. But she doens't ask for it herself, or tell me that she needs to go. I tried waiting for her to ask but then we had 6 accidents in 1 day! Yesterday we were out all day and all wees in the travel potty, but at my suggestion, not hers. I've sent her off to nursery today in the 'big girl pants' so I'll have to see what they make of it.

Nice to know someone else is in the same boat!

elliott Wed 01-Jun-05 11:56:49

If it helps, it was ages (and I mean months and months) before my ds voluntarily and reliably asked for the potty/toilet - in time to actually make it there! I just had to make sure he went regularly. I think this is a fairly common experience - at first they are not used to recognising the need to go and have limited ability to 'hang on'.

MRSflamesparrow Wed 01-Jun-05 12:13:36

How's it going now then?

I get all excited over potty training threads

Pollyanna Wed 01-Jun-05 14:57:40

We're doing it too this week. I started yesterday (dd2 was 2 in feb). I'm not sure whether she's ready either, as she doesn't ask for the potty and seems unsure she needs to go until she goes! It's going better today than yesterday so far (disastrous yesterday!). I'm going to give it one more day, and then decide whether to wait until the summer.

It was easier with my first dd - she was obviously really ready to potty train - she asked for knickers and we had no accidents. i think probably you can train a child who isn't as ready, but it takes perseverence and more accidents. Good luck!!

Enid Wed 01-Jun-05 15:04:29

help! mine will NOT use the potty or the loo.

She used to and then she did a poo in the potty and freaked herself totally.

She loves not wearing a nappy but then always wees in her trousers.

How ON EARTH can I get her to use the potty. Even Maltesers aren't working.

Corky Wed 01-Jun-05 17:46:36

My dd is 31 months and I tried potty training her 6 weeks ago - I stuck it out for 9 days and I always had to ask her to go to the potty - she did loads of wees and loved wearing the pants but never took herself to the potty and when left too long always had accidents. As for poos well she's got a fear of doing them on the potty (wees fine) so these were always done in her pants! At the begining I asked her every 15 mins then made the gap longer, but after a few days she got annoyed about me asking all the time and then wouldn't sit on the potty any more.
I think its hard as you want them to work it out for themselves but when left they wee everywhere! She also never weed outside of the house (wouldn't sit on the travel potty) and at playgroup weed everywhere despite me asking her every 15mins.
I therefore decided to abandon the idea and will try again in the summer. The thing is though she never tells me when she needs a wee or when she's doing a wee and now has a real phobia of doing a poo and holds on to it for days and will only go when gravity takes over! So I have no idea when she'll ever become potty trained!
I think if I didn't have a second child I might persevere again as its good to hear that they don't seem to take themselves to the potty straight away, but its hard work and mentally draining asking them all the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now