Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What do you do with really poopy cloth nappies?

(16 Posts)
alysonpeaches Sun 16-Aug-09 16:12:26

Its not that Im clueless or dim, its just that Ive wondered if there was a better way.

Last time I used cloth DD1 just did fairly neat solid poos, so no problem (still does!). DD3 likes to make a real mess though. Im using either prefolds or Sandy's with disposable liner. The liner doesnt stay in place and poo ends up all over - this is one very wriggly lively 10 month old.

So I normally hold it over the toilet and shake it off, liner and hopefully some poo, but its like super sticky stuff and really clings to the Sandy's. I then hold the nappy and sluice with a flush of the toilet. This seems to have hardly any effect. The basin in the downstairs loo is quite small, so at that point I give up, use a separate bucket to soak with a bit of detergent.

If you can tell me a better way please do.

Octothechildherder Sun 16-Aug-09 17:10:54

I think you've covered most options tbh! Some people are ' spoon scrapers' but can't bring myself to do this and would scare most people off using cloth!

Have you thought about a fleece liner instead?

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sun 16-Aug-09 17:12:26

lumps are sluiced but mashed paste ones go straight into the machine. The machine makes them all clean again.

cheesesarnie Sun 16-Aug-09 17:13:32

i was a scraper.its only poo <vomit>

i did often gag whilst doing it but it was sometimes easier-ds2 was intolerant to cows milk produce for quite a while before he was diognosed so did wonderfully exciting patterns in his nappiesgrin

cheesesarnie Sun 16-Aug-09 17:14:07

oh yes-and the straight in the machine ones-fogot about that!

4andnotout Sun 16-Aug-09 17:15:14

I use the toilet brush to get really sticky ones off, then dunk in the flush.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 16-Aug-09 17:24:10

Sluice and then rinse cycle in the washing machine.

alysonpeaches Sun 16-Aug-09 19:05:58

So there are scrapers out there. I did wonder about that. I couldnt figure out what to scrape with (i.e. what is acceptable), where to store it, how to clean it etc. (feels sick thinking about a sh*y knife).

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 16-Aug-09 19:08:42

There are shower attachments one can buy that plumb onto the toilet, so you can just give them a good rinse down the toilet.

theyoungvisiter Sun 16-Aug-09 19:10:33

I didn't bother doing anything - and DS was a real squisher (sorry - TMI).

I just shook off what I could and then treated them as normal - I wash fairly frequently anyway and it never seemed to do any harm.

Have you tried just dry-pailing them as normal and not stressing?

theyoungvisiter Sun 16-Aug-09 19:11:46

although actually I would sometimes do a rinse cycle prior to the proper wash in the washing machine. But very rarely.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 16-Aug-09 20:59:35

We use flushable liners, so that goes down the loo along with whatever will just shake off. Then it goes under the flush. If that doesn't make an impression then I dunk the pooey bit in the loo a few times and then flush again.
The odd one that is still yucky after that goes straight into the machine and if I've not got a full load then I add any towels that need doing to make up the load.

Does a fleece liner stay in place better? I have got a sample one on the way so will be interested to see how it performs!

twoclimbingboys Sun 16-Aug-09 21:03:09

I don't bother with disposable liners.

All poopy nappies have all solids bits out down the toilet. I then have a bucket in the bathroomw that I out in the bath, I use the showerhead to cold rinse the nappy over the bath. I then pour the poopy water in the bucket down the loo.

JennyPenny22 Mon 24-Aug-09 08:15:14

I have picked it off with toilet paper before blush. I have had a real issue with this as my DD1 has only just starting having proper hard poos now at 20 months. I never found holding in the flush useful AT ALL. All it seem to do was make the nappy soaking so it was harder to get it to the machine with no mess. hmm

With regards to rinsing. I would always put nappies on a rinse cycle before washing, poo or no poo. Gets the wee and poo out before the wash - otherwise you will be washing in dirty water. AND the cold rinse will help prevent stains as the warm water can set stains if not rinsed.

alysonpeaches Mon 24-Aug-09 19:06:38

Good point jennypenny about warm water setting stains.

shoppingmad Wed 26-Aug-09 14:54:57

Use a CD for scraping it does the trick. Had same problem as you but now scrape with old CD (poor steve winwood) and sluice in toliet during flush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now