Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Really smelly wee - any suggestions of how not to boak?

(8 Posts)
Chulita Thu 13-Aug-09 21:15:26

DD's nappies are horrendous at the moment and although I do a nappy wash every 2/3 days, everytime I open the nappy bucket the whole room is filled with the most boak-worthy smell for about 10 mins. It's vile Any ideas on how to stop them smelling quite as bad? And someone please tell me it's just a stage...she's nearly 9mos and I don't want this for the next 18mths or so...

4andnotout Thu 13-Aug-09 21:20:17

I stick a sanitatry rowel or pantyliner in the lid of the bucket and put a few drops of essential oil on it, lavender or tea tree are good as they are antibacterial

Woooozle100 Thu 13-Aug-09 21:21:14

put the bin outside?

wash them more often?

Do you notice the smell when you change her? If its her urine that is really very smelly it might be worth getting checked over for UTI

4andnotout Thu 13-Aug-09 21:21:22

Oh and my dd4 is 9 months too and teething which has made her nappies particularly pungent so i know how you are feeling grin

drinkyourmilk Thu 13-Aug-09 21:23:46

will be watching this thread with interest - dc1 has sen and we use an industrial nappy bin as nappies no longer fit in trad nappy bin. She won't drink much and hence urine very concentrated so nappy bin stinks! Seriously! It's changed twice a week and is horrid even when washed with soap and bleach.

norktasticninja Thu 13-Aug-09 21:24:27

Have you stripped them recently? A build up of detergent in combination with the urine causes ammonia to be given off...

The sanitary towel trick is definitely good to do anyway.

Montifer Thu 13-Aug-09 21:25:52

DS's wee always smells really strong when he's teething.
Usually only lasts a week or so.
I open the nappy bin outside whenever possible and get the lid back on v. quickly grin
I give the nappies an extra rinse cycle too.
Hope your bin's sweet smelling again soon.

Chulita Fri 14-Aug-09 09:04:03

It's just recently that they've started smelling really bad, just her wee too - sometimes I think she's done a poo because it's soooo pungent! She's not teething at the moment so I don't think it's that. I can't really wash more often unless I start washing nappies everyday. I use eco-balls so detergent isn't an issue - I do put vinegar in the rinse cycle every now and then. I'm just not sure why her wee suddenly really stinks...hadn't thought of a UTI, maybe that's it.
I'll try the sanitary towel thing though, not a bad idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now