Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Easy nappy for nursery ? and any tips!

(17 Posts)
SilverSixpence Thu 13-Aug-09 11:17:52

Hi, I have just started sending my 13month old DS to nursery, and although at the moment he's going in eco disposables, I want him to use washables there. The nursery staff are ok with trying it, but i don't want it to be too complicated for them or they'll probably say they can't do it!

He's got about 15 LL bamboo nappies and wraps, but I ws thinking of getting some AIOs or pocket nappies. I've got a couple of Bumgenius nappies and a Happy Heiny, but i find the BGs leak, so stopped using them.

I saw that bambinex all in ones are quite reasonably priced so was interested in those, also the pop-in dream dri looks interesting. has anyone used these?

Babybots Thu 13-Aug-09 11:24:28

You could always try looking at coolababy nappies they are very cheap so not so much of a problem if they dont work out

MrsBadger Thu 13-Aug-09 12:16:05

I was mildly concerned about this but tbh the girls at nursery are a lot brighter than we give them credit for. If a sleepless bleary postnatal mum can work it out, so can someone who does nappies as a job.

dd is in Bimbles with wraps and nippas (ie about the most 'complex' system possible) and apart from the odd one put on fleece-side out there have been absolutely no problems.

I do send them neatly folded ready to use though, not in a tangled heap straight from the drier like I keep them at home...

HensMum Thu 13-Aug-09 12:30:37

DS is in BumGenius and Wonderoos at nursery. I bought some of the Wonderoos without inserts and just use pre-folds to stuff them.

A shaped nappy with a wrap shouldn't be too much though? Maybe try those for a bit, as you know they suit your DS and see how it goes?

One of the girls at nursery won't change DS's nappies because they "make her feel sick" hmm. Not sure why they're worse than disposables - remove, chuck poo down loo, put into waterproof bag. Simples.

MrsBadger Thu 13-Aug-09 12:45:09

grin
mine don't chuck the poo if it's soft, they wrap it up carefully in the nappy and put it in a plastic bag

I scrape at home

twoclimbingboys Thu 13-Aug-09 13:02:05

Blake goes in wonderoos with no problems. You could provide paper liners, I do - just for nursery although I don't use them at home.

CMOTdibbler Thu 13-Aug-09 13:07:36

DS wore MEOS and airflows all through nursery - they were never any problem at all. In fact, his current nursery are even happy with proper terries. But at one point in the toddler room they had 4 of them in cloth, so are well used to it

Yzzil Thu 13-Aug-09 21:32:25

We did Slinki Minkis for nursery, just sent them pre stuffed with a liner in and one of the Minki waterproof bags to put the dirties in. They chuck the liners but there's still some scraping at home (nice!)

I think any pocket nappy is OK as it's essentially the same as putting on a disposable.

milkysmum Fri 14-Aug-09 20:42:22

I send my 6 month old DD in Bumgenius one size nappies with paper liners and havn't had any trouble so far. The nursery staff even wash them for me which is great!

WhatFreshHellIsThis Fri 14-Aug-09 20:47:03

I think nurseries are obliged to comply with any 'reasonable' request from parents on how to care for their child, and cloth nappies definitely come under reasonable if you ask me. Worth keeping in mind.

For the record, DS1's nursery were fine with Fluffles with Motherease wraps - I had to give them a quick lesson in how to put them on, but then no problems whatsoever.

smile

DrJen Fri 14-Aug-09 21:10:09

DS started nursery last week fulltime (7m old) and we are using tots bots cotton nappies & little lambs with various wraps! They get on brilliantly with them. One other child is also in cloth nappies - but pre folds! (if they can cope with prefolds, then tots bots must be a breeze!)

DS 6 nappies at nursery all the time - so there will always be plenty, along with 3 wraps, a dirty bag and a roll of liners.

Whatever they send home dirty/wet - we replace the following day.

Working well so far.

SilverSixpence Mon 17-Aug-09 21:47:39

well i sent DS to nursery in his usual 2 part nappy, and gave them a couple of pocket nappies to use, which they managed fine. They still seem strangely reluctant, saying if they can't manage when it's busier they might not be able to do cloth! i have just bought a whole load of pocket nappies especially so i hope they'll just get used to it - i do the cleaning after all!

BaronConker Thu 20-Aug-09 10:17:45

My worry was always that they might not change them often enough if they're used to changing disposables - so I tried to find something that was both easy and absorbent. Not easy. I used minkis and lollipop rainbow pockets stuffed with a prefold and and extra booster. Then when we moved here, the nursery already used prefolds, and they used to send DS1 home with the hugest, square bottom, and his 2-year-old bulk squeezed into a medium wrap! Very bizarre.

alysonpeaches Thu 20-Aug-09 22:01:28

I think it depends on the nursery, but have a chat with them, show them the nappies, and see what they say. I actually find that nursery changes more often than I did when using disposables, but it depends which nursery you use.

I also use a childminder, and feel enormously guilty as she actually rinses the nappies for me before she wraps them up. Ive told her not to but she still does. She picked up on how to use them really easily too. I think the thing is not to send too many types at once and send them ready folded with liner in.

I think the girl at Hensmums nursery is probably in the wrong job if she doesnt like poopy nappies!

Octothechildherder Fri 21-Aug-09 17:11:09

You can get an xl wet bag to store them in rather than a bucket - check out the monkey foot ones smile

notforconsumptionbythemail Tue 25-Aug-09 12:45:44

I have not generally had a problem with nursery - we use bumbles with nippas. I think because they wear disposable gloves when changing they found the nippas a bit fiddly for the first week but that was all. And re frequent changes - if you are handing in cloth nappies and getting them back you do know exactly how manny times they have changed dc. Had one time when a wrap was done up too tightly but after we mentioned it it has never happened again.

VillageSlingMummy Mon 31-Aug-09 19:06:21

my DD goes to nursery either with a minki pocket pre stuffed or a smart nappy...not had a huge issue with them apart from they tend to not do them up tight enough!!! which can then mean they leak and need changed again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now