Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

dc2 on the way - want to use cloth nappies this time - but where to start???

(11 Posts)
totalmisfit Tue 11-Aug-09 18:56:15

So, dd is now 3.5 and for some strange reason i never even gave reusables a thought when she was a baby. I suppose it just seemed like a huge initial outlay/committment etc.

Anyway, she's still in disposables at night, but i've had a gradual and complete change of heart over the years i've been using them and i'm absolutely determined to use only cloth nappies for dc2 who's due in January.

Trouble is, i'm completely baffled by all the different options available, also, I'd love to get most if not all of them second hand as money is tight. Can anyone recommend which brand is the best value for money, and also a good site for buying second hand ones?

Ideally i'd like to get those which dry quickly, aren't overly complicated to put on, and if there's a one-size-fits-all kind which will do from birth to potty training, so much the better! also, must hold absolutely loads of breast-fed baby runny poo and not cause too much nappy rash (excema prone family!) Not asking much, am I? wink

totalmisfit Tue 11-Aug-09 19:40:02

bump

sobloodystupid Tue 11-Aug-09 19:44:28

Similar story to you total misfit, didn't even think about reusables until dc23! I bought loads of terry squares and cheap plastic pants from Mothercare, as I didnt' want to spend too much in case it was too much hard work. For the first few weeks, I did use disposables for the meconium. I found muslins and terries just fine while ds was tiny, now I'm happily feeding my addiction with Bumgenius v3 and Itti Bitti D'lish!

totalmisfit Tue 11-Aug-09 19:48:07

dc23? you must have your work cut out! grin
I was wondering about going down the terry towel route, but i imagine you have to be pretty patient what with all the folding etc? still i suppose they are cheaper and cute in a traditional way...

What are the merits of Bumgenius and Itti Bitti?

SleepWhenImDead Tue 11-Aug-09 19:52:57

Well done for thinking about cloth second time round! TBH I don't think you'd get on with the terry towel route, it's taking money-saving too far! I have used Itti Bitti D'Lishes for 15 months now, they are fab. The best thing about them is how slim they are (I think the slimmest out there) so you can get pretty normal clothes to fit your little one and they don't look too much like makka pakka. They are quite economical too, if you got 7 nappies and 7 extra inserts, this would probably do you for washing every other day. They seem expensive but you have to remember that they are a full nappy for £13ish, you don't have to buy a wrap either. By the way DS just went into medium sized ones around 3 months old, it probably wouldn't be economical to start with the smalls as you would need to change so often with all the BF-poos.

ajm200 Tue 11-Aug-09 19:57:40

Check the web or speak to your HV about a nappy service in your area. They can often bring a selection of nappies along for you to see.

We have kushies and fuzzybunz for DD. We bought the kushies for DS but found them to big and awkward in the early days and not absorbant enough later so gave up after 6 months

DD has been in real nappies from about 8 weeks. We used disposables for the first few weeks for meconium and because she was so very tiny. She needed to premmie nappies.
I prefer the fuzzybunz and wish I'd found them first time round. They are stuffable and are easy to wash. The outer bit is dry within mins of being on the line. The stuffers take a bit longer to dry so we have a few extra. Also, they aren't too bulky so are fine under smaller cut clothing that doesn't accomodate a cloth bottom easily

We also use micro fleece reusable liners and wipes (from ebay). Both wash very easily and dry in minutes. Any solids drop off the liner into the loo easily and they are very soft on baby's bum.

A dry pail with a few drops of lavender and a tight fitting lid, emptied daily doesn't get too smelly (with the lid on)

ajm200 Tue 11-Aug-09 19:59:13

Also, as we already had the reusables, the money i've saved by moving to them from disposable nappies and wipes has paid for our (discounted) trip to florida.

totalmisfit Tue 11-Aug-09 20:00:59

ajm - when you say dry pail? i'm confused, does this mean no water?

KirstyJC Tue 11-Aug-09 20:21:49

Hi there totalmisfit! I was the same as you, didn't even give reuseables a thought with DS1 5 years ago, now I'm completely hooked with DS2 (9mo).

I second the comment about a nappy service - I got a free trial nappy kit for a month which had 14 different nappies to try, and they give you the pail, mesh bag and liners too - everything you need! (At least our lady did - might vary depending on where you live).

Try your county council website - just type 'nappies' into their search bit and you should get the details. I found it was brilliant 'cos I got to try different types before buying, as some babies suit different types. Mine is a light wetter so pocket nappies work at night, but most people find they don't.

And yes, I dry pail - put a few drops of tea tree (or lavender) oil in the bottom, mesh bag and then close the lid. I have 2 buckets as I only wash every 3 days and although it pongs a bit when you open the lid, that's it. Definitely no smell in the bathroom and the buckets just need a rinse out. No poo soup!!

Only problem...you WILL get addicted!

KirstyJC Tue 11-Aug-09 20:27:47

Hi there totalmisfit! I was the same as you, didn't even give reuseables a thought with DS1 5 years ago, now I'm completely hooked with DS2 (9mo).

I second the comment about a nappy service - I got a free trial nappy kit for a month which had 14 different nappies to try, and they give you the pail, mesh bag and liners too - everything you need! (At least our lady did - might vary depending on where you live).

Try your county council website - just type 'nappies' into their search bit and you should get the details. I found it was brilliant 'cos I got to try different types before buying, as some babies suit different types. Mine is a light wetter so pocket nappies work at night, but most people find they don't.

And yes, I dry pail - put a few drops of tea tree (or lavender) oil in the bottom, mesh bag and then close the lid. I have 2 buckets as I only wash every 3 days and although it pongs a bit when you open the lid, that's it. Definitely no smell in the bathroom and the buckets just need a rinse out. No poo soup!!

Only problem...you WILL get addicted!

sobloodystupid Tue 11-Aug-09 21:30:50

am Irish Catholic you see totalmisfit. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now