Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Dry pailing - please may I have some advice?

(7 Posts)
Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 07-Aug-09 12:23:17

Right - we have always wet pailed and used Napisan, then I discovered on here a few days ago that it will be rotting my nappy elastic (can't believe I didn't find out sooner). So decided to still wet pail but just with some white vinegar - put the nappies on to wash last night and it was disgusting. Smelt awful and just was totally horrid.

So talk to me about dry pailing - do I just shove them in a bucket and that's it? I read some stuff on Nappy Lady about using lavender oil - what does that do?
I'm assuming I still need to use some kind of sanitiser in the washing machine - can I still use a little bit of napisan?

Help!!

CMOTdibbler Fri 07-Aug-09 12:28:37

Yep, just shove them in the bucket. If you want, you can keep a muslin over the top (so over bucket and under lid) with some tea tree and lavender oil on to eradicate any smells if you are worried. But we never had any problems with smells

MrsBadger Fri 07-Aug-09 12:28:48

yes just shove in bucket (in a mesh as usual)

you can drip some lavender or other essential oil on a wipe / muslin and keep it in the bucket to 'scent' it if you like, it doesn't help with cleaning or anything

you don't need Napisan in the wash either, but I wash at 50 or 60 (yes yes I have a green energy supplier) so am confident the nappies get clean with just washing powder - if you wash cooler adding a spoonful of Napisan might ease your mind I suppose.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 07-Aug-09 12:53:03

I just dry pailed with nothing in there and washed with normal powder only. I may be unusual though.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 07-Aug-09 12:54:11

I washed at 40 degrees <starts wondering if DD's nappies ever were actually clean>

claireybee Fri 07-Aug-09 12:57:40

I normally just dry pail then wash at either 40 or 60. If they are particularly bad (teething nappies) I sometimes add a bit of napisan or the bambinex one but usually just detergent.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 07-Aug-09 15:09:23

Thanks everyone, I feel more confident about doing it now.

I think we will stop the Napisan and wash at 60 and see how we get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now