Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Late potty training on Woman's Hour

(6 Posts)
jeanybeeny Thu 06-Aug-09 14:09:24

I don't think anyone else has started a thread on this subject, but did anyone listen to Woman's Hour yesterday? Concern was expressed about the number of children aged between 4 and 7 who are still not potty trained when they start at infants school. Teachers have been rebelling, saying that it is not their job to wipe bottoms and change nappies! Modern disposable nappies were partly blamed, because the child was not always aware when they were wet or dirty, so that they tended to be left in the nappy for longer, and this encouraged parents to be lazy, and delay potty training. Traditional terry towelling nappies were considered to be a better alternative, because the child can feel when they have done a wee or a poo, and having to wash them meant that mums were keen to potty train much earlier. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this subject?

Seeline Thu 06-Aug-09 14:13:47

I remeber having difficulties potty training DS - finally out of nappies at 3.6. When I discussed it with the HV she looked at me in that rather scathing way that I'm sure they learn at HV school, and said no-one ever starts school in nappies. I guess she got that one wrong too! I must admit though abit hmm that it is still a problem by the time kids get to 7.

knuttynina Thu 06-Aug-09 14:28:03

I did listen to this, and my concern was that they said DC should be potty trained by 3. My DS is 4 this month, but still in night nappies with no sign of him comimg out of them anytime soon. However, I agree with their comments about terry nappies, because I'm sure they helped getting DS day trained.

Seeline Thu 06-Aug-09 14:29:33

I wouldn't worry about night nappies knutty. Alot of kids in reception and Y1 still wear nappies at night - particularly boys.

FranSanDisco Thu 06-Aug-09 14:34:11

I think being dry through the night is different to being out of nappies in the day. I worked in a pre-school for 3 years and was amazed at how many mums wouldn't swap nappies for pants and went down the trainer pants route. Until a child knows they are wet and the sensation that accompanies that then training can take ages. Disposables are designed to keep them feeling dry. Regression and losing interest in training also occurs but most children should be ready by 3 yo imo.

jeanybeeny Fri 07-Aug-09 10:00:06

That's why terry nappies are better than disp. for potty training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now