Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Day trip planned - what do you advise?

(7 Posts)
vbus Thu 06-Aug-09 13:54:20

Been toilet training DS 3.6yrs the past 2wks. After previosu failed attempts, 1st week was mixed success but this week no accidents so far, phew. Today is his 1st day in pants, up til now he had been bare at home. We're taking things slow but he seems to have finally cracked it.

Been invited to a friends 1.5hrs-2hrs drive away on Sunday. Would love to go but
a) unsure how DS will handle long car ride, do I use pull ups?
b) what happens when we arrive - do I leave him in pull ups as he'll probably be too excited to change into pants and also too excited remember to ask for toilet

Don't want to put him back in nappies as he's done so well so far but not sure he could cope with full day out in pants, what do you reckon? Wasn't keen on using pull ups as I think they're confusing as too much like nappies. Pull ups or just take loads of spare pants?

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Aug-09 13:58:02

i would just take loads of spare pants
try and get him to go before yuo set out and then hope for the best! he ought to have a reasonable control over when he wees by now so even if he does need to go he should be able to hang on for a little bit

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 06-Aug-09 14:00:10

I would put a towel or something on his booster/carseat in case he does have an accident, and encourage him to have a wee just before you go.

I wouldn't put him in pull-ups at the friends house - if they are your friends they will understand the odd pair of wet trews as part of the process. Oh and yes to spare dry stuff...

Iklboo Thu 06-Aug-09 14:01:41

Spare pants and if you can stop for a couple of wee breaks on the way.
Keep asking him while he's playing if he needs a wee - or say 'X - mummy's going for a wee now, do you need one'.

Seeline Thu 06-Aug-09 14:10:31

If your friends are agreeable, when you get there put his potty in the corner of the room where you are or just in the hall and make sure he knows where it is - also if you go outside pop it in hte garden. I did this for my two for the first few weeks and it seemed to help.

vbus Thu 06-Aug-09 14:36:06

Thanks for all advice. He won't use potty, he trained himself on toilet! He has good bladder control so could probaby stop at services if needed. Was more worried about if he fell asleep in car and then he might go in his sleep hmm I guess the odd accident is inevitable.

I'll just have to keep asking him at friend's house if he needs to go as you suggest Iklboo. Hopefully he'll be cooperative away from home!

Seeline Thu 06-Aug-09 14:38:10

I don't know if you can stil get them (my potty training days are long gone!) but Pampers used to make disposable change mats that had a waterproof back. I used to put one of these on teh car seat, or in teh buggy etc just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now