Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth users - recent article about environmental issues

(15 Posts)
evansmummy Tue 24-May-05 22:11:59

I've heard briefly about a recent survey that would apparently show that there is absoultely no difference in using cloth or disposable nappies with regard to safeguarding the environment (disposables vs. electricity and detergents). Just wondered what your thoughts were, not being funny, I'm a clothie too.

Gwenick Tue 24-May-05 22:14:53

this os what we all think

pixiefish Tue 24-May-05 22:16:37

IMO- from what I can see the report is seriously flawed.

have a look here

There are so many anomalies- the data is flawed. have a read of what wen says. Personally I think it's pants- I've never ironed a nappy (apparently 9%do), i don't wash them at 90 (a high percentage do apparently)... really cross with the report and don't want to wind myself up tonight so will leave my comments as above- the report is a pile of c@@p

evansmummy Tue 24-May-05 22:19:18

Thanks, and sorry. I've been on holiday so I've missed all this. Thanks for the links!

flamesparrow Tue 24-May-05 22:22:54

How's it going now Evansmummy? I remember you starting out (it was you wasn't it? )

evansmummy Tue 24-May-05 22:28:38

Yeah good thanks. I've settled for a mixture of imse vimse and tots bots nippas, with bumpy day and nature babies wraps. Also have some fleece wraps for when I hav enough courage for night-time cloths! It's going ok, but unfortunately dh refuses to use them, so i'm doing all the changes myself! Nevermind, it makes me feel good!!

flamesparrow Wed 25-May-05 08:04:15

Dp was a bit like that too - but then after about 4 months he suddenly realised that it would save him money rather than just putting her in a disposable when he changed her ... I was too mean to let him get out of changing completely!!

throckenholt Wed 25-May-05 08:31:33

DH could still change the nappy - you do the washing. It is really no different changing a cloth or a disposable. Don't let him wriggle out of doing some of the changes

Maisiemog Sat 28-May-05 12:56:34

Evansmummy, have you tried wool at night. I was shutting my eyes with my fingers crossed the first time, but it WORKS, no leaks on soggy nappy.

Maisiemog Sat 28-May-05 13:01:08

I really wish I had the energy to read that report. I don't really understand how a report can compare two completely different things anyway. I mean the argument is about landfill, so what has washing got to do with it? I mean there is no contest, disposable nappies make up more landfill than resuables.
An argument about washing costs will always win an argument for disposables, because you don't wash them. I'm confused????
Either this is a report about the TOTAL environmental cost of both systems or it's a waste of time. Mind you I haven't read it so I'm probably talking rubbish (get it!?!?)

evansmummy Sun 29-May-05 21:51:29

Mm, it's about the toal environmental costs ie. landfill vs. electricity use. But the study is really badly carried out. If you can bear to read the thread which is linked below, it's easier than reading the report! Apparently it's pretty easy to pick it apart and it is all, in fact, rubbish!

I've never tried wool, but the thought of having to hand wash them totally puts me off. I've tried only once, and with a fleece wrap, but it didn't go the 13 hours a disposable does. Had to change him after about 10 I think.

Caligula Sun 29-May-05 22:26:25

Iron nappies? 9% of people iron nappies? How? Up until my child was about 8 months old, I can't remember having the time or organisational skills to iron clothes I was going to wear, let alone nappies! I must admit, an instant image of Monica Geller from Friends springs to mind, but I'm really surprised that as many as 9% of people have the time and the inclination to do such a thing. I expect they vacuum their main vacuum cleaners with a hand one, as well.

misdee Sun 29-May-05 22:29:54

do not iron this nappy

RuthN Mon 30-May-05 20:15:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

travellingmama Wed 01-Jun-05 09:20:50

Hi I'm new!
I read the report. It does not use modern CD washing methods. It has people using fabric softener (which will make nappies non absorbent), bleach (wreck your nappy), wash at 90 (again wreck nappies) and ironing.

Nappies must be washed no hotter than 60, with very little detergent (or they’ll absorb the bubbles and irritate the kids skin) and frankly – Eco balls will save you loads more money.

As to fleece…as long as it is over a totbots we have had no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now