Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

yuck - weaning has made cloth a whole new ball game! come and advise me pleease!

(26 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Thu 06-Aug-09 07:31:55

so breastmilk poo nappies just went straight in the machine along with washable wipes. not sure I can do that with this new repulsive poo! have started using a paper liner, which is helping a bit, but not sure what to do about wipes that are covered in it - should I move on to disposable ones, or does anyone have some tips?

wastingmyejumication Thu 06-Aug-09 12:00:36

Pick off chunks with toilet paper and rinse under the tap. smile

HensMum Thu 06-Aug-09 12:11:44

Get as much off the nappy as you can into the toilet - pick bits off with toilet paper if it doesn't fall in easily (isn't motherhood glamourous?!)

Don't worry too much about what's on the wipes. I never have and my washing machine is still going strong! Do a pre-wash if it worries you, and every once in a while run the hottest wash you can with an empty machine.

FaintlyMacabre Thu 06-Aug-09 12:15:25

I use loo roll to get the worst off, then a cloth wipe for the rest.Disposable wipes are awful IME, they just move the poo around.

cornflakegirl Thu 06-Aug-09 13:23:39

I found it got a lot better after a couple of weeks when DS started eating a bit more and the poo got more solid. Was grim to start with though, so you have my sympathy!

eggybrokenoff Thu 06-Aug-09 13:28:45

wasting - are you talking about the nappy or his bum?

think I need some bigger cloth wipes - been using teeny top n tail cloths til now. what do other people use?

Just cut up some old towels, or big pieces of fleece.

Or get lots of face cloths when you see them cheap in a sale, or Ikea do 10 for a £1 or something.

wastingmyejumication Thu 06-Aug-09 13:32:06

Nappy and cloth. grin

I bought some bog standard flannels 5 for 99p from Wilkinson's.

I've got a stack of these in the kitchen too for cleaning him up after meals. I sewed a little bit of yarn through these ones so they don't get mixed up in the wash.

MrsBadger Thu 06-Aug-09 13:43:46

I do the first two wipes with toilet paper (straight down the loo) then wet flannel for the final polish

I stole the stack of revolting 70s patterned flannels from my mum's airing cupboard - no way will they get used anywhere except bottoms!

CMOTdibbler Thu 06-Aug-09 13:43:49

I wiped the worst of it off DS with the paper liner (ie the chunky bits), or toilet paper if not enough liner to get hold of, then cloth wiped the rest.

Washing machine stood up to anything but chunks really well. I did do a 90' wash with nothing in but a dishwasher tablet every so often to get it really clean

moaningminniewhingesagain Thu 06-Aug-09 13:53:41

We are BLW my 7mo DS, the first couple of weeks were hilarious, found large clean chunks of carrot and baby sweetcorn in the washing machineblush

I flick/peel off the poo where possible, anything v sticky just goes in the machine. If lots of yukky nappies at once I put it on a 'quick wash' with detergent, then a normal wash without - this seems to get a good result.

I only use liners when they need a bit of cream on their bottoms, don't bother most of the time.

cyteen Thu 06-Aug-09 13:53:49

We have recently adopted the 'poo spoon' approach...keep old spoon by the loo, use for scraping poo into toilet.

lollipopmother Thu 06-Aug-09 16:47:02

I use Boots disposable liners, they are massive so fit any nappy with a load to spare, I let it poke out of the legs and back so that there's no poo in the elastic <yak>! They last well in the washing machine too so if it's just a wet nappy you can reuse (although I stopped doing this as I just couldn't be bothered).

On the odd occasion that I've been too lazy to use a liner I have a 'poo knife' to scrape with - lovely! wink

I can't advise on the wipes as I gave up using my reusables ages ago, but I always do a pre-wash/rinse of the nappies first before doing the normal 40/60 wash. I think now that the poo is more grim you should make sure that you're only using one set for bum and one set for hands etc but other than that just carry on as normal.

Octothechildherder Thu 06-Aug-09 16:52:58

I would use bummis liners and flush them. You can sluice your nappy in the flush of a toilet rather than scraping it off the nappy if the liner doesn't catch it. Good to have bucket or wet bag close to hand though!

wastingmyejumication Thu 06-Aug-09 16:58:28

I tried that Octo, just made the poo wet.

Octothechildherder Thu 06-Aug-09 18:35:32

Man that poo must be sticky grin Will have to be paper liners then - have you used them before - they vary ALOT - some are like public loo paper (little Lamb/PHP/Junir Joy) some are very soft - Bummis - others are in between - Lollipop/Green Baby/Onelife.

KirstyJC Thu 06-Aug-09 18:39:32

I agree, the washing off in the flush of the toilet didn't work for me either just got a wet pooey nappy!

I followed the 'pick bits off with a loo roll' camp. It does only last for a few weeks or so, so I just held my breath and got on with it! grin Flushable paper liners were OK at this semi-solid stage, but are really fantastic now he is doing poo nuggets!!

I use fleece reusable wipes, about 6inches in a square and I only use 1 or 2 time, even with the biggies. They are much better than the small top and tail muslin squares that I use for bathtimes. Fleece is so easy to wash - the poo seems to just slide off in the machine (although I dread to think where to).

liahgen Thu 06-Aug-09 18:41:07

I sluice them in the loo flush, swirl it round, usually works.

Also use the shower spray for stubborn straight over he loo bowl, (disclaimer, only works if your loo is next to the bath as mine is. )

Octothechildherder Thu 06-Aug-09 18:47:13

LOL at standing in shower with nappy!

liahgen Thu 06-Aug-09 19:53:40

OTCH I don't stand in the shower with the nappy, Fully dressed,I dangle said nappy over toilet bowl, use shower spray to sluice stubborn solids off straight into bowl.

grin at the pic your description conjours up.

Octothechildherder Thu 06-Aug-09 21:08:39

LOL - I knew that! (grabs a towel to dry herself off) Imagine the DEFRA report

'the environmental impact of washable nappies has been significantly increased recently with users having a warm/hot shower to sluice the nappies prior to washing'

hahahaha grin Almost as good as ironing them!

liahgen Thu 06-Aug-09 21:09:59

Completely LOL at that.

Octothechildherder Thu 06-Aug-09 21:14:37

please call me octo - otch looks like aitch!

MrsBadger Thu 06-Aug-09 21:15:35

do you know, my shower spray i snext to the loo and I have never thought of doing that

I have been scraping with loo roll for the last sodding YEAR

blush blush blush

Octothechildherder Thu 06-Aug-09 21:17:40

LMAO - this is why we need nappy threads grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now