Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

AIBU to expect holiday club to remind ds to go?

(9 Posts)
BarnMummy Wed 05-Aug-09 20:42:43

DS is 3y10m, and has been toilet trained for almost a year. He goes to nursery school every morning, which he loves, although every now and then there is a wet pair of pants when he is too absorbed in the activity to go to the bathroom. The normal teaching staff in his room I think are pretty good at noticing when he is holding himself and reminding him.

Now he is going 2-3 times a week to a holiday club at the same school - same owner/headteacher, but most of the holiday staff seem to be fairly young girls who I think are probably training to be nursery school teachers. Both days he has been there this week, he has had at least two accidents, requiring clean trousers/shorts.

What I want to know is, do you think it is unreasonable to expect the holiday staff to remind DS to go, the way the term time staff do? The owner said to me that it is mainly when he comes in from playing outside, i.e. they already seem to know when he might have an accident. The school has always seemed to be very supportive of other parents/children during potty training and were good in helping DS transfer from potty to toilet, so I'm a bit baffled why this is suddenly a problem and can only assume it is because of the different staff.

Sorry for the rambling post - would genuinely like to know if I should speak to school or not. Thanks!

bigchris Wed 05-Aug-09 20:45:50

do you pay as much for holiday club as you do for term time nursery school?

are they catering for a larger age group, ie is it primary school kids?

haventsleptforayear Wed 05-Aug-09 20:49:45

I think he's a bit old to be reminded tbh, especially if he's been trained for a year.

Have you told the staff he needs reminding?

Do you remind him still?

DS2 was "trained" in February and we don't ever remind him - he was 2 in January.

I would speak to them though just as a "could you please watch him?"

bigchris Wed 05-Aug-09 20:51:13

I hope my post made sense

I am confused about the holiday club thing for a 3 year old? is it because you work?

BonsoirAnna Wed 05-Aug-09 20:54:46

At that age they ought to be systematically taking the children to the lavatory several times a day (before going out, before meals etc).

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 21:01:22

I agree with Anna, it should be routine surely "everyone to the toilet before outside play etc"...This makes sense to me.

bigchris Wed 05-Aug-09 21:02:12

unless the club has one 3 year old and the rest 5 to 11 year olds....

BarnMummy Wed 05-Aug-09 21:11:52

Thanks all for your messages. To answer:

BigChris: Yes, it is a larger age range, 2 - 8, rather than 2 - 5. Interesting point, that - I guess it means the staff mindset is not so much on the younger ones (although most of the children are 3 - 5). Cost is a bit less than term time.

Haventslept: I don't generally need to remind him at home - he doesn't seem to leave it so long! Think the word "watching" could well be a better approach than "reminding" - thanks!

Anna: I agree, and I think they do this in term time.

BigChris again(!): holiday club started as a couple of hours a week so that I could do stuff which requires my full attention (I do voluntary community project work from home). He loved it and kept asking to go more, so I have upped the hours a bit. I wasn't sure because it felt such a cop-out for me, but discussed it with DH and we came to the conclusion that if he really wanted to, then we should go with it - and it means I can do fun stuff with him the rest of the time without getting stressed about stuff I need to do.

BarnMummy Wed 05-Aug-09 21:15:45

Will be asking them next time about whether they routinely get everyone to go, and also mention about watching him.

Thanks all...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now