Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

My 3 year old shows no interest at all in potty training - help!

(4 Posts)
Loobyfly Tue 04-Aug-09 20:24:55

My son will be 3 in September and I would really like to get him potty trained before my 3rd baby arrives in January. His sister was potty trained at 2y3m and did it very quickly and easily. He loves looking at and wearing his big boy pants but refuses to ever sit on the potty or toilet. Surely at 3 he should be ready to train or I expecting too much? He is intelligent and has very good speech and understanding in other areas. Would a novelty potty help? Should I forget the whole thing until he is older and showing more enthusiasm for the potty/toilet?

crokky Tue 04-Aug-09 20:31:04

Personally, I would give it a go. I managed to train my DS at 2.7 even though he had speech delay and was a little young for his age with a possible ASD.

I would try anything you can - choc bribery is a good one. My DS also loved the red potty (but wouldn't use the original yellow and white one).

I would take the nappy off and leave it off permanently. I wouldn't go back on it for any reason (including trips out) unless it is severely distressing him. You'll have loads of accidents, but after a fortnight, I would expect some sort of success/progress.

blithedance Tue 04-Aug-09 20:31:51

After 2 boys I have concluded they only get potty trained when they are ready. You can start whenever YOU like but it might be six days or six months until they are grin

Essentially to be potty trained he needs to know (or learn quickly) that "a wee is coming!" (as DS used to bellow) and be able to get to the loo and sort himself out (trousers etc) in time. If he can do that all you need to do is some sort of bribery campaign to get him to do it regularly.

If he can't yet read the signs/have bladder control you are in for a lot of washing.

Don't think intelligence has much to do with it it's a physical development thing!

Loobyfly Tue 04-Aug-09 21:32:30

Thank you for those replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now