Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How do I teach DS2 the right way to 'push' for a wee?

(9 Posts)
FourArms Mon 03-Aug-09 19:04:41

DS2 is OKish about the thought of potty training. He's 3 now, so agewise should be fine. Up to now he hasn't even entertained the idea of having his nappy removed, but now we've said he can't go to pre-school in Sept with a nappy on he's giving it a go.

However, whenever he does a wee on the potty, or when standing up (over a nappy when we've just taken one off), he farts. A couple of times he's actually done a poo whilst trying to have a wee. So... I think he's probably pushing the wrong way for a wee. Also, he will do a wee on the potty, but it will only be a tiny bit. Then five minutes later he can wet himself completely (happened 12 times yesterday in a few hours).

Any ideas for what to do next? He's not bothered by wetting his pants really, but if I keep letting him do that, will he get the idea? Any thoughts welcome!!!

SoupDragon Mon 03-Aug-09 19:13:56

I don't think you can teach them, they have to work it out for themselves.

FourArms Mon 03-Aug-09 19:16:15

That's kind of what I thought. Oh well... back to washing wet pants! Was lucky with DS1, sat him on a potty, said 'do a wee', he did, and was fine from then onwards!

SoupDragon Mon 03-Aug-09 19:17:33

I am so glad I don't ever have to do potty training again!

BertieBotts Mon 03-Aug-09 19:17:49

I don't know, I don't really understand as I've never felt the sensation of weeing as a "pushing", more relaxing/letting go. But maybe it is different for boys?

UniS Mon 03-Aug-09 19:18:09

agree he really does have to figure it out for himself. Once he starts to get the idea, you could encourage him to do "target practise" in teh loo. making bubbles, hitting a bit of toilet paper etc. do you have a Male DP he could go to teh loo with and watch, get the idea of what to do where.

cookielove Mon 03-Aug-09 19:22:11

i also don't think that can't be taught, sometimes children do get them confused, and when they say they are going for a wee do a poo, and visa versa.

At my nursery we tend to sit them on the potty at nappy changing times, and when they consistantly do wee's for some amount of time we then suggest potty training, did your ds do any wee's on the potty before you took off his nappy permantly. How long has he been out of nappies?

You could try buying special pants that he gets to wear if he has a good week, or a sticker chart for weeing on the potty and a present at the end of the week or couple of days for being dry?

We reward the children with stickers, big ones at the begining and then smaller, and then we slowly stop, the children seem to like that.

FourArms Mon 03-Aug-09 22:29:58

DH is a bit private about going to the loo.angry Wish I could be too!! But DS1 (5) is quite good.

Up to now, he's only done a few wees on the potty, but with him being that bit older, and understanding it all perfectly (except the correct relaxation/pushing required!), I thought him wanting to do it would be enough. Was wrong obviously!

UniS Mon 03-Aug-09 22:59:11

a running tap, has been know to "help" boy wee on request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now