Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Potty taining: Only 50% of poos are being done in potty/toilet

(6 Posts)
beatie Tue 24-May-05 14:10:34

We started to potty train dd at 29 months - last month. It all went with relative ease aside from the odd accident. Last week she had a relapse after 3 days of poo accidents. We got back on track with the wees but we're only having 50% success with the poos.

Is there anything we can do?

dinosaur Tue 24-May-05 14:13:26

Wow, good progress to be doing all that at 29 months, beatie .

What you must not do is make so much of an issue of the pooing that she gets scared to go and tries to "hold on" - that can lead to chronic constipation which believe me is the last thing you want.

Why do you think she's having poo accidents? Is it just that she doesn't get to the potty in time, or is she expressing reluctance to use the potty for poos?

beatie Tue 24-May-05 14:45:07

There's no reluctance because 50% of the time she'll manage to do a poo on the potty or toilet. I don't think she gets much of a warning that she needs to go or perhaps doesn't recognise that she needs to go? Not sure. She'll tell me 'poo-poo, potty' as soon as she has done it. Poor little love

gingernut Tue 24-May-05 15:13:29

beatie, it sounds like she's doing pretty well. I know you've seen a bit of a regression but it does take time. We use a system of incentives with ds1 (star chart with reward of small toy every now and then plus daily incentives - chocolate rewards at the end of the day - chocolate mini egg from Easter for keeping the same pants on all day, clean and dry, smaller reward of a few buttons if he has only minor accidents). One thing that really made a difference I think was explaining to him how to hold a poo in - sounds strange, but I don't think he actually realised he could! I told him I was going to `tell him a secret' and said that when I felt a poo coming, I squeezed my bottom really hard until I could get to the toilet, and then I would stop squeezing and do it in the loo. It worked! Still have a few accidents but a lot of that is that he really doesn't want to stop playing to go to the loo, and the incentive system helps there.

HTH.

dinosaur Tue 24-May-05 15:17:38

It sounds like she just needs a bit more practice at recognising that there's a poo coming and that she needs to get to the potty. All in all I think it sounds like she's doing really well . Agree with gingernut about trying rewards, works with some kids but not with others!

beatie Tue 24-May-05 18:48:25

Thanks for your votes of confidence - it means a lot to me.

You never know how to judge whether these things are normal and going well when it is your first.

I will persevere with the rewards/incentives and try to be patient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now