Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Mastitis

(5 Posts)
RosHarper Fri 31-Jul-09 22:10:07

I had mastitis for 4 and a half weeks, and I have been on various courses of antibiotics including IV antibiotics in hospital. I have a lump the size of a tennis ball, and it is a very hot heavy breast! I have tried all the sort of usual remedies, hot baths, massaging lump, expressing, cabbage leaves, hot/cold compresses. I am feeding from infected breast, but now it has become too unbearable to feed so I am trying to pump but barely any milk is coming out when pumping.
Has anyone got any other suggestions please as that would be of great help to me as I am very desperate to feel better again, as I have got to the stage of giving up breast milk altogether and going on formula. Please. Thank you..

Montifer Fri 31-Jul-09 22:15:22

Oh no poor you, am no expert but wanted to offer sympathy.
I found top dose ibuprofen helped with a much less serious mastitis. Don't know if you'd find anything you haven't tried already here
Good luck, hope you manage to keep the bf going, sounds like you are trying so hard.

marmoset Fri 31-Jul-09 22:21:32

I've had mastitis 3 times, once for each dc, but nothing like as bad as that so sympathy and tea from me!
Honestly, I'd go onto formula if it was me because that is just no fun at all and it must be getting quite depressing and difficult to enjoy your baby.
Hopefully, you'll get a miracle cure from someone else but if not, do look after yourself - you have already really put yourself through the mill! How old is dc?

Montifer Fri 31-Jul-09 22:28:32

Ros, just realised your post is in nappies, will probably get more help in bf topic smile

ches Sat 01-Aug-09 07:11:03

Please go and see your GP ASAP; you possibly have an abscess that needs draining. You have my deepest sympathies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now