Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

how do I hold him down?

(8 Posts)
nicewarmslippers Fri 31-Jul-09 19:59:07

my ds is nearly 10 months and VERY mobile. He just won't stay still to change a nappy. I need a hand to hold his legs and a hand to wipe/put on nappy etc so what do I hold him down with? I try dustraction, getting an interessting toy but as soon as I lift his legs he twists so hard and is off. Today I was chasing after a pooy behinde (around mil's dining room-they were out thank god!). What do you all do?

By the way I am not a first time mum but dd just never was anywhere near this bad

bran Fri 31-Jul-09 20:03:41

I used a Rabbitts changing mat for DS as he was as agile as an eel and could spread poo an immense distance. I only had to actually do up the straps a few times before he got the idea. If he made a break for it I used to just pick up the straps and he would subside with a very resigned look. grin

DD doesn't try to escape, but prefers the Rabbitts mat to the ordinary one. I think she just finds it more comfortable.

luckylady74 Fri 31-Jul-09 20:05:31

How about changing him standing up? Ds2 walked at 9mths and didn't want to go on his mat after that so I just stood him on a mat whilst he played with stuff on the sofa or something.
Failing that sheer strength- you are strong enough-think about your size compared to his-that's what I thought as I wrestled ds1 into his car seat. I really was kind and happy as I did it-just strong armed!

duvetheaven Sun 02-Aug-09 15:55:22

I would go for the standing up option as that works for us when nec . smile

nellie12 Sun 02-Aug-09 16:12:58

I have one like this. oh how I hate having to change him in public! I had to change him in his pram the other day (we were out) His shoulders were strapped in and life was much easier - he wasn't impressed but he couldn't go anywhere grin

lou031205 Sun 02-Aug-09 16:33:12

Have you tried giving him a toy to play with? It might distract him.

Spidermama Sun 02-Aug-09 16:42:07

I used to change him on the floor and simply lay my leg over his chest to hold him down. He didn't seem to mind/.

specialmagiclady Sun 02-Aug-09 16:47:03

I find that a combination of standing up for non-poo changes, giving him something to play with and maintaining eye contact and chatting/singing like a loon worked quite well. Occasionally, holding him down with one hand holding his two hands together on his chest was necessary. But generally, being the most interesting thing in the room worked quite well. If in doubt, sit on his face holding his arms down with knees and with your head at the mucky end.

NB obviously my gigantic arse not on his actual face, just using my body to gently pin him down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now