Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Whats the advantage of potty training?

(12 Posts)
tatty33 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:35:34

Was planning on potty training my ds who is 2.4 years during the next 2 weeks as my childminder is away, but I'm 99% sure I'm giving up after 2 1/2 days!

My thinking is I'd quite like to enjoy these 2 weeks ( and the rest of the summer) with him myself rather than cooped up at home, also he's not starting playgroup or pre school until April so there's no real rush.

Am I just being a quitter, it not like the last few days have been a complete disaster or can I wait a bit longer... I guess my ramble is - whats the advantage of perservering now?

K999 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:39:03

The advantage is that he will be potty/toilet trained and you will not have to buy nappies anymore! grin

waitingforbedtime Wed 29-Jul-09 19:40:22

Save money!

If youre going into it with that attitude though I wouldnt bother tbh. I dont mean that rudely!

nickytwotimes Wed 29-Jul-09 19:41:40

Advantages - no nappies to buy or wash.
Disadvantages - you sound miserable.
Give it a rest if you want.
DOn't feel you HAVE to do it right now.

fruitful Wed 29-Jul-09 19:41:46

Do you mean you've already done 2.5 days and want to give up? I usually do potty-training in bursts of 3 days. If there is no sign of them getting it after that, I give up and try again 2 or 3 months later.

Dd got it on the second go at 26mo. Ds1 got it on the umpteenth go at 40mo.

If it isn't working, give up, its no big deal.

fruitful Wed 29-Jul-09 19:44:32

Just noticed that you said it wasn't a complete disaster. Don't give up now if he is starting to get it, you'll confuse him.

You don't have to stay home. Pack lots of clothes and go out. Try a walk in the woods or something the first time!

I stayed cooped up at home while potty-training dd. Then with ds1 I couldn't stay home - had to do the school runs and so on. So we potty trained while out and about, and it was less stressful.

tatty33 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:52:04

I didn't mean to sound miserable - just a bit stir crazy after 3 days in the flat!

We've done 2.5 days ( trip to GP and park taken off) and even had a short walk to the shop without accidents, he does seem to be getting it sometimes, but I have to balance that out with how much TV he's watching and how fixated he is on getting a chocolate afterwards. How would you define 'getting it' fruitful?

Thanks all

fruitful Wed 29-Jul-09 20:00:04

Well, after 2 days - does he sit willingly on the potty? Does he wee in it? That's a good start.

Is he weeing every 10 minutes or is there a decent gap (an hour or more in between)?

If he'll wee when you tell him to sit on the potty, and then doesn't need to go for an hour or more, you can carry on. You just need to remind him all the time until he starts to tell you himself.

If he can't/won't wee in the potty, or does and then wets himself 5 minutes later, give up!

tatty33 Wed 29-Jul-09 22:24:23

he will wee on the potty - but really varies if that means he'll wait an hour or 5 mins to go again.

ironically v. happy to sit on potty - just nothing coming out! pretty sure the happiness is to do with cbeebies being on!

so confused....

waitingforbedtime Thu 30-Jul-09 09:25:03

Sorry I thought you meant to hadnt started yet and were going ot give it 2.5 days then give up.

How many accidents is he having in a day?

fruitful Thu 30-Jul-09 14:19:38

If you've done 3 days and he hasn't worked out how to wee when he sits on the potty, then I'd give up and try again in a few months.

tatty33 Thu 30-Jul-09 20:39:53

Much better day today - including a poo on the potty!

Two accidents, lots of sitting on potty with nothing ( but reckon thats me asking too much) but 5 wees on loo or toilet!

I am going to continue - its quite an interesting process in showing how quickly I tend to give up on things!

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now