Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Should I refuse!!

(6 Posts)
hayleylou Mon 23-May-05 13:04:57

I am in the middle of trying to potty train my 2.5 year old ds. He will go without a nappy around the house but when he want a wee he will shout for a nappy. Should I refuse to put a nappy on him, I have tried to sit with him at the potty reading books. This is coming to be more difficult as I have a 10 month old dd. Does anyone have any suggestions??

99redballoons Mon 23-May-05 16:03:27

No great advice as I'm going through this too atm. It's good that he know when he wants a wee. I think you need to decide if you're going to go cold turkey with the nappies or not. I would give it a go and make sure you have lots of rewards to hand the first time he does do a wee in the potty/toilet. You need to be firm and explain he will only sleep in a nappy. We moved to pull-ups for ds' nap time and call them his 'bed pants' so the word nappy is only used just before bed (night). Another trick I've heard is to ask them what colour they can make the potty go when they wee in it, or to give the potty a sticker as well as themselves when they do go. It took 45mins of reading for ds to do his first poo in the pot. I know you haven't really got this time with dd. I'm sure someone will come back with something more useful!

99redballoons Mon 23-May-05 16:04:48

Another tip I read on MN was to get him to sit on the pot with the nappy on and wee, next time undo the tabs, third time leave the nappy loose but over the potty, fourth time no nappy on potty. Worth a go?

gscrym Mon 23-May-05 16:38:23

Could it be the style of potty he doesn't like? DS doesn't like the normal shape of potty and isn't overly keen on his potty with the lid. He really likes the one at my mums that looks like a chair. He's a proper little bloke and has sat on it with a book for half an hour after finishing.

Good luck

KMS Mon 23-May-05 21:48:36

i would be careful about refusing the nappy as it may cause him problems. Rather try to encourage other ways. Choosing a potty he will sit on?
Would he use the big toilet like Daddy? My DS2 wouldn't use the potty but jumped at the chance to be grown up like his Big bruv and Daddy! Maybe worth a try. I like the idea of letting him wee in a nappy sitting on the potty and gradually undoing it. I also make a big thing of the noise it makes pouring the wee into the toilet and then seeing if they can make that noise into the toilet themselves??

Hope that ramble makes sense! Good luck

hayleylou Tue 24-May-05 14:34:03

Thanks for the tips... DS hates the toilet screams when i try and put him on it. We have two sorts of potty's and will only sit on one. I will try the undoing to nappy slowly and see if that works

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: