Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

night time advice needed

(14 Posts)
purlease Tue 28-Jul-09 23:34:18

DD decided 3 months ago (around the time DS was born) that she wanted to stop wearing nappy pants. We were not keen to push it due to upheaval of new baby but she seemed determined. For the first 2 months she was brilliant with very few accidents but in the last month we have reverted to nappy pants as she was wetting all the time. Despite wet nappies, we've decided to put her in pants tonight as I think she is just getting lazy and she is weeing while she is awake in the morning (because she can). Any other suggestions on why she might have gone backwards. And should I pick her up tonight before I go to bed and put her on toilet.

twoclimbingboys Tue 28-Jul-09 23:38:20

I think it is personal preference really. I don't like the idea of lifting and won't be doing that with either of mine.

No clue why she may not be dry overnight now tbh. Although the earlier the train the more likely they are to possibly regress.

twoclimbingboys Tue 28-Jul-09 23:39:03

sorryI meant to put - 'they' train.

purlease Tue 28-Jul-09 23:48:54

She has just turned 4 so I wouldn't have thought it was too early and it was her decision. TBH I don't like the idea of disturbing her, especially since she used to be able to last the night.

fruitstick Tue 28-Jul-09 23:52:05

My DS was dry at night before our DS2 was born but I didn't take him out of pull ups for the same reasons (he never expressed a wish to either).

Now his nappy is always wet but, as you say, I think it's laziness. I've been taking his pull ups off as soon as he gets out of bed in the morning but yesterday he wet his pyjamas as he 'forgot he didn't have a nappy on'.

I know I need to bite the bullet at some point and just take them off him.

purlease Tue 28-Jul-09 23:54:44

Right I'm off to bed - if she is wet in the morning, so be it. Fruitstick, sounds like we are in the same boat.

twoclimbingboys Tue 28-Jul-09 23:57:12

My mum always laughs that she had to do the same thing with me that you are doing with her (i.e. leaving her without a nappy) and it worked - I was just lazy. She didn't lift before bed etc. Fingers crossed your dd gets the hang of it again and is soon dry each morning.

mears Tue 28-Jul-09 23:57:39

When we got a run of wet beds after dry ones, I did lift my toddlers before going to bed myself. They actually did a pee while still asleep! Saved the bed. Also agree about getting nappy pants off first thing in the morning if you decide to stick to that route instead.

purlease Wed 29-Jul-09 00:03:17

Thanks all - feeling reassured by this. Fingers crossed for a dry night. Since we think it is something she can control we stopped her watching TV when she had a wet night to try and incentivise her. This morning DH went to put TV on and she told him she wasn't allowed it because she did a wee in her nappy. Not really bothered hmm.

mears Wed 29-Jul-09 00:44:46

Please don't assume that she can control it - she might not and she will be getting punished for something that she can't help. Praise her when she is dry, ignore it when she is wet. My first DS (who is now 22yrs old) had a problem with bowel movements which I made a million times worse by scolding him. The advice I was given then (professionally) was not to comment when he was dirty - just change him and praise him when he managed to use the toilet. You can end up going down a toilet war route which is no good for anyone. The more punishment she gets (which is also attention), the worse it may become. Focus on the positive events of dryness.

purlease Wed 29-Jul-09 10:56:13

we have been praising massively as well. Have decided that she can't control it as she was wet this morning at 6:30 (fast asleep). The annoying thing is that she was dry for over 2 months.

mears Wed 29-Jul-09 11:17:08

It isn't uncommon for this to happen. Just take the pressure off and try again later in a few months.

purlease Wed 29-Jul-09 11:34:36

thanks Mears

purlease Thu 30-Jul-09 23:35:00

wet again last night - she's back in nappy pants. It's a bit frustrating because she had been dry for so long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now