Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

reusable nappy novice needs help!

(18 Posts)
beautifulgirls Tue 28-Jul-09 17:11:00

I really would like to use a decent reusable nappy type with #3. I foolishly bought a complete pack of bambinomio nappies before DD#1 was born and whilst I made efforts to use them for a while I found the leakage and constant soaking through a nightmare with them and abandoned them long before I wanted to and used disposables. I gave them another go with DD#2 and had the same problems. At the time I had not researched them at all and I just assumed all reusables were a faff blush

The trouble I have is that I need to be convinced of their reliability before I spent out too much money on more, but just reading here and looking at nappies online I have no idea what I really want and actually what each nappy is. For example I looked at the totbots website after reading a review, but then got so confused by the range they have on there. With the b-mio ones I used I had to fold an absorbant cloth over 3x, wrap it in a disposable liner and then insert the fold into an outer - I presume this is what they call a prefold? What is an all in one - they seem to be just material so do you still need an outer waterproof cover over these? What about some sort of liner for the solids or do you just rinse them? What are inserts and when/why do you use these?

I am more than happy to try a few second hand nappies so if there is a good site anyone can recommend please let me know, and please let me know your experiences with different brands and types of nappy.
I have no idea if DC#3 is boy or girl so if that would make a difference I am happy to wait until after s/he is born and we know. I would expect whatever to use disposables for a short while at the start whatever just for convenience.

Thanks - sorry to be so ignorant!

Cies Tue 28-Jul-09 17:16:51

I'm a novice too smile.

There are some videos on cleangreennappy.co.uk that go through the major options available. I found it helpful to see the different features and materials out there.

For second hand nappies, I've used usednappy.com and the buying and selling section here on mumnsnet. I know there are some others out there.

beautifulgirls Tue 28-Jul-09 17:25:14

Thanks for the video links - I've watched a couple of the short ones and they are just what I need! I will find some time later to be able to watch the rest after the girls are in bed smile

beautifulgirls Tue 28-Jul-09 18:54:31

That link doesn't work but I assume it should have been www.usednappy.co.uk
Thanks smile

beautifulgirls Tue 28-Jul-09 20:37:28

How do people dry totbots or other bamboo type nappies - are they all non tumble dry? What about radiator drying is that also out?

blithedance Tue 28-Jul-09 20:53:05

Any nappy can be tumble dried or radiator dried although waterproof covers don't like hot temperatures - but then they dry quickly so it doesn't matter. In my experience bamboo is slower to dry than cotton - because it's more absorbent.

I found my Motherease nappies reliable but then other people get on with other types. Remember you can put a supplementary "booster" pad in any nappy if you have a heavy wetter.

duvetheaven Tue 28-Jul-09 21:27:56

If you scroll back through the nappy threads you will find similar requests for info re parents new to cloth nappies.
Glad you are giving it a go after the Bambino Mio experience - that happens to quite a lot of people but unfort they don't try out the many excellent nappies available. smile. I like Motherease Sandy's and various pocket nappies.
Bamboo is very soft !! Also smaller companies such as Wee Notions and Upsy Daisy are popular with nappy enthusiasts/anoraks!

Other good sites to try for info and second hand (pre loved) are clothnappytree.com and ukparentslounge.

All the best for the new arrival.

beautifulgirls Wed 29-Jul-09 14:37:25

Glad I can tumble dry if necessary as I don't like the thought of being without them waiting for some to dry off.
Thank you for the info duvetheaven - I'm keeping my eyes on the second hand sites now.

I think perhaps I'll try initially with some totbots or bambinex type nappies with motherease wraps from what I have been reading and watching.

nickelbabe Wed 29-Jul-09 14:55:06

a friend of mine is obsessed with reusable nappies and she recommended www.weenotions.co.uk

beautifulgirls Thu 30-Jul-09 11:43:46

Well, I've just bought some secondhand Bambinex bamboo nappies and now need to get some wraps to go with them. I am thinking of the motherease ones, but would like advice please - is the Airflow or the Rikki type better/worse than each other, and what size would you suggest & how many would you think to start with?
The bambinex nappies are small (size 1) with velcro fastenings, should do up to 22lb according to the advert.

beautifulgirls Thu 30-Jul-09 20:50:43

anyone?.....please smile

blithedance Thu 30-Jul-09 21:07:43

Start with 4 or 5 wraps as they dry quickly. (IIRC 5 is better so there can be one on baby and 4 in the 2-day wash). They do for 3-4 changes, you hopefully won't get poo leaks from the Bambinex so that's 2 per 24 hrs. (I just washed mine to sell today so it's fresh in my mind!). You can buy another one or 2 if you keep getting caught out.

Rikki and Airflow are both good and I'd go for what you see first. The Airflow wraps have 4 poppers and and look a bit more baggy but they squash down under clothes. They have 3 poppers on each leg so you can get a really good fit. The Rikki wraps fasten with Velcro so are quicker to change, but are still a good fit.

I'd definitely get five Medium wraps, as they start from 10 lb and you will soon be into them. You could get some small wraps (6-12lb) too, I suspect there are a lot secondhand as they get outgrown so quickly. Or have you any Bambino Mio covers left for the first month or so?

Stupid question (adoptive mum) but are they able to guess the weight of the baby before you have it?

beautifulgirls Thu 30-Jul-09 21:54:32

Oh I hadn't thought of using the Bambino Mio wraps - yes I still have those.
Personally I would guesstimate baby to be 8-8.5lb ish based on my previous two, so shouldn't be too long before into the medium wrap size. I'll take a look for medium sized wraps in the adverts.

Thanks for replying grin

Octothechildherder Fri 31-Jul-09 12:36:13

Mio wraps aren't great tbh - would recommend using motherease or onelife ones smile

BlueChampagne Fri 31-Jul-09 14:09:29

Check if your council runs a real nappy scheme. Also keep an eye on Freecycle, which is where most of my eclectic selection came from!

beautifulgirls Fri 31-Jul-09 20:55:16

Thank you - I've started the hunt for some motherease wraps. I'm going to get a couple of smalls and couple of mediums and see how I go with the different sizes. My previous two were both long skinny babies despite their reasonable weights, so I suspect I may need to use the small wraps for a while at least. I can try and mio wraps just to see anyway since I have them here, but long term I'll probably sell them to fund the hopeful new nappy addiction!! wink

I did put a wanted ad on freecycle a couple of days ago but no joy so far.
Our local council is one that doesn't offer a nappy scheme annoyingly, but nevermind it is not a disaster for me.

3girlsunder3 Sun 02-Aug-09 17:44:37

Hi
I have some motherease wraps that I am going to sell - have both Rikki & Airflow.IMO the airflows are bigger - my dd is just starting to grow out of them at 16lbs +, we have been using them over little lamb bamboo, tots bots & motherease one size.
Anyway, please let me know if you might be interested - some are brand new & unused & some used, but all good condition - I've got loads as I have twins!! My e mail is fidget dot dog at ntlworld dot com. smile

beautifulgirls Sun 02-Aug-09 18:41:40

Oooh thank you - I'll email you now....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now