Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Ok, I bought a potty today...now what?!

(7 Posts)
decafgirl Sun 26-Jul-09 22:59:49

Any hints, tips or advice pass them on please. I have a DS who is 2 and a tombliboo potty.....bring it on!!

whomovedmychocolate Mon 27-Jul-09 08:40:47

Oh gawd - you bought a novelty potty! Now if you like a character, do you want to poop on them? Realy? grin

Seriously, make it into a toy first. Call it a throne and give him a crown when he sits on it. Put teddy on it and praise him.

I have no clear solutions as we are still going and have abandoned the potty in favour of the toilet which is apparently 'princessy' hmm

GoldenSnitch Mon 27-Jul-09 08:47:15

We got a potty and encouraged 2 year old DS to sit on it when we got him naked at bathtime. If nothing happened - no big deal. If he did something we cheered and clapped and told him what a clever boy he was.

After a few weeks of having something done regularly at bathtime, we went for below the waist nakedness all day and asked him every 5 minutes if he needed to go.

Once we had most things done on the potty and not the floor we added pants till he was good at asking to go and then trousers.

Took about a fortnight to be confident about going out without 3 spare pairs of bottoms in the bag

Good luck

GoldenSnitch Mon 27-Jul-09 08:48:05

We also had potty books to read while on the potty which might have helped him grasp the idea. Certainly helped with getting him to sit still for long enough for something to happen

bezzyk Mon 27-Jul-09 10:37:49

Hello Decafgirl

I have a DD almost 2 years and 5 months. We bought potties and pants a couple of months ago and this morning I decided out of the blue that today was the day to put into action....

So far:

Floor 2 - Potty 0

Good luck!!

BK xx

decafgirl Mon 27-Jul-09 21:24:54

Thanks everyone!

Strangely we also had floor 2 potty 0 today!
Ah well, onwards and upwards! Am housebound tomorrow waiting for a 'between 8am and 6pm' man to call round.

Really like the idea of a crown - will get onto that tomorrow!

Thanks again xxx decaf

ches Tue 28-Jul-09 03:41:01

I started with first thing in the morning -- onto the toilet (wouldn't sit still on a potty) and the first wee was coincidence (good timing), but got him aware of how it all works. Put him back into a nappy afterwards and waited until first thing on wake-up the next day. Then did immediately after naps too, then before going out and on coming home... all while still in a nappy. Accidents are stressful for all concerned, I prefer learning by positive reinforcement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now