Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

help needed training 5 yr old get dry at night after wearing night time nappies

(10 Posts)
katiekittlemouse Sat 25-Jul-09 21:22:16

it is my fault totally but dd is 5.5 yrs old and i have only just taken her out of night time nappies.
I have stopped her milk before bedtime so effectively her last drink of the day would be water with dinner about 5.30pm (bed time is approx 7.30pm). I get her to wee before bath and again after stories before getting into bed.
She still wets the bed and sleeps through it, waking only in the morning usual time with a very wet bed! Is this because she has got into a habit of weeing in her sleep?
How long wiill it go on and can I do anything else to help her get dry at night?

hoping4thebest Sat 25-Jul-09 22:11:33

My son is 4 and refuses to wear pull ups to bed now but is wetting most nights. He has started waking in the night where as before he would sleep through. Just hoping the daily washing of bedding will stop before the winter comes.

CarGirl Sat 25-Jul-09 22:13:48

children need to produc enough of a certain hormone that concentrates the wee at night to stay dry. It is usually beyond their control.

Best thing to do is up the amount of fluids they drink during the day but seriously I'd put her back in nappies.

Dd2 wasn't dry until nearly 7, the other 3 all around 2.5, they were all brought up the same.

barnsleybelle Sat 25-Jul-09 22:25:56

DS is 7 and still not dry most nights. I've tried restricting fluids, lifting him last thing and although we have occasional successes nothing has made any difference really.
I've spoke to the gp who is not concerned, says it's normal for many children and his body is simply not ready yet.
He won't wear pull ups and it upsets him greatly when i suggested it in the past.
he is a very deep sleeper too. He can go to bed at 8, having not drunk since 6, plus had a wee before bed and be wet at 10. Yet other nights it's not til 7 the next morning.
I never mention his wet bed, never tell him off as he simply can't help it.

PrettyCandles Sat 25-Jul-09 22:32:16

She may not be ready.

Some children take longer than others.

My ds1 was only dry this year, aged 8, and my 6yo dd is still in night nappies. 2yo ds2, OTOH, toilet trained 10 days ago, and is starting to have dry nappies at night.

Try lifting her at your bed time - not at the same time every night - and see whether this makes a difference. If she is we twhen you go to bed, or still wets after having been lifted, then she is not ready and trying to force her to be dry at night will only cause upset and probably delay her.

Niecie Sat 25-Jul-09 22:42:57

DS2 only stopped wearing nappies at night at 5.8yrs. We did let him stop wearing them for a while just after his 5th birthday but, although we had a few nights of success, he ended up wetting the bed 5 nights out of 7 after about 2 months we put him back into Pyjama Pants.

He wore those for about 4 or 5 months and then we tried again. He has had only a handful of accidents since he dropped them again. We obviously tried too soon.

It isn't your fault nor your DD's that she is still bed wetting. It isn't habit at 5 and they have no conscious control over it. Some children simply aren't ready.

I believe that doctors don't even think about considering it to be a problem until the children are over 7.

I would put your daughter back in nappies for another 5 or 6 months and try again. She'll get there in the end.smile

katiekittlemouse Sun 26-Jul-09 18:22:48

thanks everyone.
last night she was dry!!!
Also - does anyone know where you can buy those Pampers bed mats - none of my local supermarkets seem to have them, tried Sainsburys, Waitrose and Tesco plus Mothercare.
I've run out

barnsleybelle Sun 26-Jul-09 19:51:22

I get mine from asda. Huggies do some as well.

So pleased your dd was dry...

Seona1973 Sun 26-Jul-09 19:51:45

Try Boots as they also do their own make bed mats.

barnsleybelle Sun 26-Jul-09 19:52:14

ps i've had them from boots too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now