Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

public loo seats - sit or hover?

(30 Posts)
motherpeculiar Sat 21-May-05 13:42:41

do you sit or hover? or more to the point (and possibly a bit less personal ), what do you do with your kids who are just learning?

is there an alternative?

<guess who is toilet training DD1 at the moment>

WideWebWitch Sat 21-May-05 13:45:05

I've read articles about this. You'd have to have a cut in the back of your thigh to actually catch anything from a loo seat. It's highly unlikely. I sit and always have done and haven't ever caught anything.

tiffini Sat 21-May-05 13:45:24

if they look clean i dont worry about it, when out and about i will only use ones in shops or cafes, never the ones in the high street......yuk...

mancmum Sat 21-May-05 13:46:06

always sit.... you are 100times more likely to give youself a bladder infection by hovering as you don't empty bladder completley than pick up anything from a loo seat... I use strips of loo roll...

jojo76 Sat 21-May-05 14:21:19

i sit, too lazy to hover!!

Ameriscot2005 Sat 21-May-05 14:27:48

Hover!

SoupDragon Sat 21-May-05 14:28:55

Oh sit. There are far worse things to worry about!

NotQuiteCockney Sat 21-May-05 14:29:44

As www says, the risk is pretty low. Oh, and covering the toilet seat with strips of toilet roll makes it much more likely you'll catch something - you're touching the toilet seat with your hands, which then touch your food or your mouth or whatever.

SoupDragon Sat 21-May-05 14:29:50

I've always thought that people who hover (a) are slightly odd (no offence meant ot hovers!! ) and (b) have superb thigh muscles

Aero Sat 21-May-05 14:57:44

There was a thread before about this - here . lol

tiffini Sat 21-May-05 15:01:11

why is it people who hover in public toilets, never bother to hover in pub loos, is there a difference?

LGJ Sat 21-May-05 15:03:07

This

sparklymieow Sat 21-May-05 15:04:08

sit..... but I always use supermarket ones or cafes...

notime Sat 21-May-05 15:07:11

Definately hover!

notime Sat 21-May-05 15:08:58

I don't hover in pub loos now becaause generally I'm too drunk and any attempt at hovering can lead me to keel over. Which have done in the past.

NannyL Sun 22-May-05 00:03:47

sit then wash hands well afterwards!

Fran1 Sun 22-May-05 00:07:32

Personally i hover.

But dd who is recently trained has no choice but to sit, but i have trained her to not put her hands on the seats (I hold her, unlike at home where she perches on her own holding onto edge of seat).
I took her in a public loo today, and before i could say it, she said "mummy can i touch the seat?"

Skribble Sun 22-May-05 00:10:11

Never quite mastered the hover, loo roll if it looks grubby (I don't see the need to touch the seat when doing this?).

There is a time and a place to hover FESTIVAL PORTALOOS!!!!!!! I find if you hold on to the hinge on the door it helps.

Can any of you pee standing up I mean kindof like a man and get it to go forwards, my friend claims she can I haven't asked for a demo .

oatcake Sun 22-May-05 01:07:08

glastonbury - I hover, husband sits...

as for weeing like a bloke, I bought a 'she-pee' at glastonbury and can now pee like a bloke.

Skribble Sun 22-May-05 01:22:43

Brave husband, Ok on Friday first thing but never sit down on a Sunday.

Had considered she-pees to use inside toilets but I would probably just make a mess

motherpeculiar Sun 22-May-05 11:12:30

hmmm, it's a problem as my back is bad so I can't hold DD over the loo, but I do have reservations about her sitting on the ones in the local playground

am trying to teach her not to touch the seat

in JL I saw a little fold up plastic kids seat that you can carry around and just unfold and put over the loo seat for the child. Does anyone use this?

(as for me - confirmed sitter, unless the loo looks a bit dodgey)

Frizbe Sun 22-May-05 12:02:57

Oatcake Glasto is a definate hover for me as well what I would love to know (apart from the waste aspect - no eco rants please I am greenish) but why can't we have seat protectors available in all of our loos like they do in the states as routine? that'd solve the problem for training our bubbas!

Nemo1977 Sun 22-May-05 12:06:26

if it seems clean i sit if it looks manky i hover. I just think we should have the disposable toilet seat covers like u can get in america. I will teach ds to sit probably but to make sure he always washes his hands..although being a boy he shouldnt be sitting on it for long..lol

Socci Sun 22-May-05 13:17:24

Message withdrawn

NannyL Sun 22-May-05 20:33:57

motherpeculiar.... the fold up plastic loo thing is called a 'toodeloo'.

I have one for my 2 year old charge!

its quiet godd (but will NOT fit in a pocket as the packet says!!) lol

i think however you have to lift up the loo seat and put it under the adult toilet seat, (thats how it doesnt fall off and stays in place).

I personally would rather NOT be lifting up the loo seat in public loos so she just balances and we use it to take to grannies etc and other places where we know the loo is cleaner!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: