Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

potty training

(9 Posts)
samcaf Tue 21-Jul-09 19:45:44

I think my 2 year old is ready, but what if he refuses to sit on the potty, which he is doing. if i put him on it he jumps straight back up. he prefers to do it on the floor! help, what do i do!!?

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 19:47:34

tell him when he does a wee on the potty he will get chocolate buttons!!

samcaf Tue 21-Jul-09 19:57:28

What good thinking!!! he'l be potty trained by tomorrow!thanx

oneopinionatedmother Tue 21-Jul-09 20:01:52

i had the same problem @19 months ..it took three days of...

read them a story on the potty
give them a drink on the potty
weeing on the potty myself (saying Clever mummy!! OOOOh! mummy did a wee wee on the potty!! Clever. Mummy gets a chocolate button...!)
playing cbeebies/iplayer/ youtube on a laptop in front of the potty whilst they sit, stopping the play when they stand up.

drinks for potty-sitting is great as it increases the amount of wee too (though to begin with expect this to go on the floor, even a tiny drip in the potty should be rewarded so long as they know they did it)

save the sweets for when they wee on it (as bigchris says)

i might add my daughter has been exactly the same with every new thing (even toys) until she saw another kidusing a sit-n-ride she wouldn't sit on hers. Thus three days to get her to sit on the potty was no suprise.

do you have a friend whose kid could wee on the potty to show them how its done?

potty training takes Lots of patience. remember: It is not obvious to them what you want, they don't know what the potty is for.

i showed mine these youtube videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXkVvZG2Bi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9v-nKxH2NE& feature=related

happy potty training!

samcaf Tue 21-Jul-09 20:37:04

Thanx for that, i have sat on the potty but tomorrow i will take your advice and do my first wee on it!!

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 20:39:59

also assoon as he starts weeing stick the potty under him, leave him naked, so that some wee goes in potty and then whoop around the room and dispense buttons grin
good luck smile

mrshedgehog Tue 21-Jul-09 20:42:36

I had a similar problem with DD she sat down and immediately jumped up like she was sitting on a ring of fire - I tried books/tv/bribes but patience was the answer in the end.

I got teddy to sit and count how many seconds she could sit on by clapping - we started at 1 sec working up to 30+ took a couple of weeks though !! then i could move onto the next stage of actually getting something in the potty !!

Good luck

Eilatan Wed 22-Jul-09 20:20:53

All you potty sitting mums have smaller arses than me!

samcaf Wed 22-Jul-09 22:25:27

Trust me i perched rather than sat!!! Thanks for all your advice its really helped. am also going to try the teddy counting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now