Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Kooshies - are they not that good or am i doing it wrong??

(19 Posts)
jojo76 Fri 20-May-05 18:11:40

Hi Everyone,
I have been trying out Kooshies with ds, 9wks. I have found that they are soaked through really loads quicker than, say the bambino mio's i also use, and also they tend to leak much more too. The waterproof all in ones seem to be rubbish for keeping poos contained too.....i know new baby poo is runnier when they are breastfed, but this was ridiculous!! Anyone else found this with kooshies or am i supposed to put loads of boosters in them or what?!! I would like to use them as i have brought lots second hand and feel a bit cheeky selling them on if they aren't that good!! any tips??

tiffini Fri 20-May-05 18:14:33

i think Kooshies are training pants, therefore will not hold much, also they do not absorb to a lower layer, therefor the skin will stay wet.

pixiefish Fri 20-May-05 18:31:55

never tried them but from other peoples comments i don't think they're very good

Socci Fri 20-May-05 18:33:31

Message withdrawn

Tissy Fri 20-May-05 18:34:16

no, kooshies are nappies, but I didn't get on with them at all; dd had very skinny legs and I could never get a good seal around the legs.

Why not sell them on if you don't like them; there are people out there who like them...I'm a Totsbots fan myself!

throckenholt Fri 20-May-05 18:53:54

kooshies really didn't work for us - leaked and took ages to dry. We found nappy and wrap much better.

purpleturtle Fri 20-May-05 19:06:35

I'm a kooshies ultra user. Well, ds actually . I always use a booster, and we do frequently have wet trouser incidents, particularly waistband, if I don't remember to change him regularly.

If you don't like them though, sell them on. Plenty of nappies of all brands get sold on because parents don't get on with them. What's the phrase - caveat emptor - or something.

jojo76 Fri 20-May-05 19:24:19

thanks everyone for your advice! I think i will sell them on, i got them on ebay to start with and they do seem to sell really well on there....and if other people get on alright with them i dont have to feel guilty about selling them i guess , lol!
I have been getting on really well with the mio's, but keep hearing a lot about the tots bots, are they really that good? they seem pricey, are they well worth the money?

RuthN Sat 21-May-05 09:44:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jojo76 Sat 21-May-05 12:43:09

Hi Ruth!
yeah i think what im going to do is sell all the kushies, and order a couple of tots bots to try! Im getting on really well with the prefolds too thank goodness, so at least we havent had to go back to disposables. Do you use the redwrap for nighttime? Im thinking of trying one of those as we still use a disposable at night, haven't been brave enough to use a cloth one at night yet lol!

RuthN Sat 21-May-05 20:47:01

jojo76 Sun 22-May-05 09:20:24

hahahaaa dont you just love that weeing with nappy off trick!!!?
well yesterday, i ordered two tots bots, and a pul wrap (red polkadot) and then couldnt resist tryiing a motherease wrap because i liked the patterns on them!! hahaha! I didnt get the red wrap yet, as it was getting a bit pricey, so let me know if you try it at night without the disposable, and how you get on, i really want to stop using the disposables at night but darent! LOL! I use pampers at the moment and find they dont leak (was using the eco disposables but found they leaked half way through the night, like you say, so caved and got evil pampers!!)
SEVEN HOURS how luxurious!! how old is your ds? give me hope, mine's nine weeks and hes going about four hours, feed, three hours at the moment...

RuthN Sun 22-May-05 20:28:29

chipmonkey Mon 23-May-05 12:05:46

tbh, I have one tots bot and don't think I'll be buying any more, don't find it much better than Bambino Mio, tho it looks cute! I love Fuzzi Bunz by day and sliny minki's for night

Maisiemog Sat 28-May-05 13:12:57

Hi Jojo, I've got prefolds and fitted nappies too, and this works well for me. I still use both, fitteds when I'm feeling lazier and can't be bothered folding, and prefolds when I am trying to get ds's clothes done up at the bottom and fitteds are too big. It means we always have LOADS of clean nappies as well, so we never have to tumble dry.
I can see a nappyholic future awaiting you. I predict in two months you will have one of every type of nappy available.
I have just sold a kushies ultra (with the pvc outer layer) on ebay, but the auction ended at 10am this morning, so I didn't get a good price. I recommend ending your auction at about 8:30 pm and preferably at the weekend for best results. Happy selling.

jessicasmummy Sat 28-May-05 13:17:14

I always used Kushies Ultra with jess - no problems! Just ordered the toddler set from a fellow MN'er because i liked them so much - i think in the 6 months we used them, we had 2 leaks and one of those was overnight!

RuthN Sat 28-May-05 18:13:59

Maisiemog Sun 29-May-05 03:11:01

Hi Ruth my baby is weaning now so there is no problem with the poo thing now. However, when he was only bf, we always used the newborn or fan fold, where you fold like a boyfold and then fan out the end that will be on the baby's bum. This is the Cotton Bottoms website, look at the bottom it is the liquid poo fold you want. This other site shows you the same thing in photos.
You pop it under the baby and use the nappy nippa to secure the two wings of the fanned prefold and then the the front of the nappy. It needs to be on quite tightly to keep in bf poo, so you have to check it and readjust it until you're happy it's tight enough. You get really good at it.
Once you get the hang you can contain most poops except those blowouts, but they get past most thing.
Even though he is now past the bf stage, I still prefer to nippa the prefold - I just don't get on with padfolding I find there is a much higher chance of leaks. Plus the nappy is a neater fit.
The only thing is you have to go up the sizes more quickly, to make sure you have a prefold wide enough to go round your baby's waist.
I must go to bed now and stop watching big brother (save me)

RuthN Sun 29-May-05 20:43:26

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now