Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Mothercare Smart Nappy

(15 Posts)
chocolatehelly Sun 19-Jul-09 21:01:40

Hi there
I'm really keen to use washable nappies with my third baby due in a few weeks but I'm really struggling to choose, there are soo many on the market now! I succeeded with my first baby with a fantastic laundering service through Cotton Bottoms which doesn't seem to exist anymore and failed dismally with my second with some fleece nappies bought on ebay (very cute looking, rubbish at holding any liquids). This time I like the look of the Mothercare Smart Nappy as they sell different sizes (can't stand tiny babies in huge great nappies designed for toddlers) and they do a cheap starter pack. But I can't find any reviews of them anywhere other than the Mothercare site - which are fab by the way! Think they might be quite new, does anyone have any experience of these nappies?
thanks for any help
CH

missmama Sun 19-Jul-09 21:03:59

I am using cotton bottoms bought 2nd hand on eBAy and getting on great with them.

A friend is using the smart nappies for her DD now 18 months she started at 7 months and has had no problems

LackaDAISYcal Sun 19-Jul-09 21:06:23

I know of at least one preson on here who used them, but not sure what she thought; iirc there was a problem with the insert bit not staying in place. Aren't there any reviews on here, or threads about them already? Try doing a search.

I would recommend a shaped nappy with PUL wrap, something like totsbots/bimbles/diddy diapers at least initially as they are neater on a newborn bum. Once baby is older you can look at different types like pocket nappies like bumgenius(good for out and s.about and carers). You can sell the little ones to fund the next size up as there is always demand for size 1.

littlelamb Sun 19-Jul-09 21:08:43

If you're after cotton bottoms I have 18 nappies that I have never used. I would post the lot to you for 25 quid We use tots bots with a Motherease wrap and think they're fantastic

diedandgonetodevon Sun 19-Jul-09 21:09:58

Smart Nappy has been great for us. We've used them from birth and so far had no problems or leaks (DS now 9mo).

LackaDAISYcal Sun 19-Jul-09 21:10:40

if youb click on advanced search, put smart nappy in the top box, then click choose topics and go down to nappies/potty training, loads and lodas come up about the samrt nappy and it seems mixed from the quick skim I had.

they do seem like a different sort of prefold imo.

Octothechildherder Sun 19-Jul-09 22:05:39

I have heard mixed reviews of them - I too have a mountain of prefolds which have been given to me - you can have them for postage as they were donated. Email me on vicki.k.finn@googlemail.com - am off on hols weds so do before then or wait til 29th.

smile

JennyPenny22 Mon 20-Jul-09 01:42:23

I have a couple BUT I don't use the insert that comes with it as it isn't absorbant enough for my 12 week old. But many nappies arn't and even disposables swell right up as she wees so much! I use the outters but stuff with a hemp insert and bamboo booster. This works well BUT if she poos (still on runny poo explosions!) then it usually goes all over the outter. We use it more like an all in one to be honest and wash the outter at most nappy changes.

Nice and slim though - not such a big bum.

I would definatly suggest buying one of them to try before you buy a few. Might be worth getting some 2 parters (shaped nappy with wrap over the top) to try as these are always going to be the most reliable IMO.

For newborns - XS sandys are excellent

ches Mon 20-Jul-09 03:56:31

Look for reviews of gDiapers and Weenies; they're basically the same thing. They didn't work for me, but DS had outgrown his BumGenius AiO (too tall) and was too tall for these, too, pretty quick. I used them at night and he'd leak over the top. For a girl I don't think you can go wrong and they're much more breathable than a disposable/PUL lined nappy.

You need far fewer as you only need to change the cloth outer if there's a blow-out otherwise change them like clothes. The inner water=proof liners only need changing if poo gets onto them but even if you wanted to change them with every nappy, you can wash them and air dry them by the next nappy change.

chocolatehelly Mon 20-Jul-09 21:07:33

That is really helpful, thanks all. I think I'll just get a couple to try to start with rather than buying the whole kit, although at least that is cheaper than most brands. And I'll have a look at reviews of similar makes, thanks Ches.
And thanks for the offer of the Cotton Bottoms but I've sort of set my heart on the smaller shaped things and I have a whole army of nanny, grannies and dh to convince which I think will be easier if they look the part and don't look like a traditional terry nappy.
thanks again
CH

Octothechildherder Mon 20-Jul-09 21:33:53

Please don't go for the smart nappy then - you will be very likely to be disappointed - go for some yummy nappies like bitti d'lish, bumgenius, blueberry, close parent - not the cheapest but far from the flat terry and reliable. CAT me if you would like more advice!

chocolatehelly Tue 21-Jul-09 20:57:09

OMG I'm in love with the new Blueberry! thanks for the tips, I'll keep researching but wanting the Smart nappy for its price, I don't think this is going to match up to the other brands you mention. It's soo confusing though, can't believe how many more there are on the market than there were even a few years ago. I'll keep researching! Thanks for all your advice.

mummytowillow Wed 22-Jul-09 15:28:35

Sorry to hijack!! wink

I'm selling some pink V2 Bumgenius nappies, complete with inserts and boosters, £5 each, I've got 16 and they are all in excellent condition!

They are absolutely brilliant and I never had any problems with them!!

chocolatehelly Wed 22-Jul-09 21:07:46

No worries, it sounds like a good buy but am I right in thinking that this is a birth to potty system? I had decided to go for a sized system as the one size fits all just always looks so enormous on a tiny baby - did you find that? Have you used yours all the way through to potty training?

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Thu 23-Jul-09 10:25:23

If you like the blueberry minkyness take a look at greenkids Minkytimes - they have a new cheetah print out too grin. They are birth to potty also and a toot cheaper as i always found blueberry gorgeous but so expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now