Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

dumb questions about learning to use a toilet

(4 Posts)
MamaChris Sat 18-Jul-09 13:41:14

ds is 17 months, and very interested in us (and the dog!) weeing. he has started pointing to the toilet and saying "wee-wee", so the last couple of nights before his bath I asked if he wanted to do a wee-wee, balanced him on the edge of the toilet seat and, to my amazement, he concentrated for a while and squeezed one out! I wasn't expecting to do toilet training till next summer, and don't really think we (or he) are ready to go the whole hog yet, but I will happily sit him on the loo anytime he asks and praise him for anything produced. (I fully realise the novelty may wear off by tomorrow)

my questions:

ds has a small willy. I can't imagine he could hold it and point without weeing all over his hands. so I'm sitting him down, thinking he can learn to stand later, but is this going to work or should I be trying "point and pee" right away?

will my haphazard approach slow things down later when we are ready to toilet train? I'm certainly not going to tell him he can't use the toilet if he wants, so the other option is to go the whole hog now, and everything I've heard suggests 17 months is WAY to young for successfully toilet training a boy.

bigchris Sat 18-Jul-09 13:51:32

my 5 year old doesnt stand up to wee yet!!

Seona1973 Sat 18-Jul-09 14:46:10

ds sat down on the toilet for a while before standing to pee (he is 2.9years and was trained by the age of 2). It is a PITA when they have to sit as you need to strip them from the waist so they can get their legs wide enough to ensure their willy points into the toilet. He is now tall enough to direct his willy over the rim of most toilets but did have a short while of using a small plastic step stool so he was the right height.

MamaChris Sat 18-Jul-09 15:57:34

ok, so sitting down now won't scar him for life

agree - PITA to strip all his trousers though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now